TaleSpinner

Boxer Rebellion: Box-Turtle Folk, WIP

Did you have a material in mind when sculpting the yin-yang medallions? I ask because I notice you roughened one side, and I'm curious if you see them as representative of solid metal, painted ceramic, wood, or something else.

10 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Did you have a material in mind when sculpting the yin-yang medallions? I ask because I notice you roughened one side, and I'm curious if you see them as representative of solid metal, painted ceramic, wood, or something else.

I guess I was thinking of either cast metal or more likely carved jade.  The main point was to differentiate between the sides.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I guess I was thinking of either cast metal or more likely carved jade.  The main point was to differentiate between the sides.

That makes sense to me. The texture reminds me of something like a cast bronze, where you might polish and show off the bare metal, but I was also thinking about a smooth metal, or ceramic medallion, where the differentiation might be accomplished with enamel or paint.

I hadn't thought of jade, but that also makes a lot of sense as a material you'd want to show off, rather than paint.

I look forward to watching the priest come together as a finished piece!

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

That makes sense to me. The texture reminds me of something like a cast bronze, where you might polish and show off the bare metal, but I was also thinking about a smooth metal, or ceramic medallion, where the differentiation might be accomplished with enamel or paint.

I hadn't thought of jade, but that also makes a lot of sense as a material you'd want to show off, rather than paint.

I look forward to watching the priest come together as a finished piece!

I was thinking of things like these, with my own twist on them, of course :poke::

Image result for yin-yang jade medallion Image result for yin-yang jade medallion Image result for yin-yang jade medallionImage result for yin-yang jade medallion

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Yesterday, I worked on the the voluminous folds of the clerics robes:

IMG_E3875.JPG.55f5b8f381e15d6afbbc498b9ae60603.JPGIMG_E3873.JPG.b50fc0db451f7107cbf4be7f79cab248.JPGIMG_E3874.JPG.05b26a3ba31459138ca0a27c431c018c.JPG

Today, I worked on the voluminous folds of his many chins, his breast medallion, and eyes:

IMG_E3883.JPG.9ea6f68d3d7216aefd7e0e79e7f2c712.JPGIMG_E3882.JPG.66350d40f04cd485c27c5aaf9dc3b253.JPGIMG_E3881.JPG.31c9b8067dc78d636f6ca014c482e2c0.JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

I worked on these this past weekend and again at lunch today.

Cleric:

I have only his up-raised hand to finish.  I think I will have him holding a pair of chopsticks in it, as I couln't figure out how to add them to the rice bowl without causing casting issues.

IMG_E3893.JPG.f081059e312d58a3920715cb2bacd2d6.JPGIMG_E3892.JPG.2e79287450453ccb17273b48494f7b15.JPG

Bard:

I worked on his instrument, mostly on the neck.  I'll lay down the face and strings next. 

IMG_E3891.JPG.9d02fa8b7702e1a746e62683c8d67274.JPG

I also started his clothing.  As you can see he will have a belt eventually.  I also sculpted his arm, neck, and closed eyes.

IMG_E3889.JPG.cf22a874a144747d4b9148d1d083dda9.JPGIMG_E3888.JPG.33ce1abe6ad239f3daf45ea65df790eb.JPG

Sorcerer:

Worked on its robes.

IMG_E3894.JPG.2ac2c648eaf661a555a4f80147608324.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I worked on these this past weekend and again at lunch today.

Cleric:

I have only his up-raised hand to finish.  I think I will have him holding a pair of chopsticks in it, as I couln't figure out how to add them to the rice bowl without causing casting issues.

IMG_E3893.JPG.f081059e312d58a3920715cb2bacd2d6.JPGIMG_E3892.JPG.2e79287450453ccb17273b48494f7b15.JPG

The new chopstick plan might actually be for the best. My understanding is that in some East Asian cultures (Japan for sure, and I think China too - somebody correct me if I'm wrong!), you never leave your chopsticks sticking straight up in a bowl of rice due to funerary associations with that arrangement.

I continue to love the characterful poses and details of all of your turtles. We need to keep your client ordering more. ::D:

[Edited to correct emoji, and grammar]

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Finished the cleric's hand.  I might need to give the index and pinky fingers a shave down as they are a bit bulky. I don't know, I'm not happy with it as is, I think.  I decided against the chop sticks as they won't ship well.  I need to think of something else.  I may put a holy symbol or something else in that hand, chopping the whole hand apart and redoing it, or not. I need to let it rest and see what I think in a few weeks.  In the mean time, I have plenty more work to do on the others.

IMG_E3898.JPG.2b280f291427f1889b62f7368e2f536a.JPGIMG_E3897.JPG.f505ca308c572544fa65a8ec31dadfbc.JPG

Maybe his right hand could be supporting a staff with Chinese lantern on it? 

Image result for chinese lantern

Or a bell (which in a pinch could be his weapon as well):

Related image

I also continued to work on the bard's clothing.

IMG_E3900.JPG.0ca0d113ef77fa646bbc4295065582e5.JPGIMG_E3901.JPG.a4393ccb432c7e63fb81ecf0ec837f94.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

yes- chopstick in rice bowl bad ju ju. brings bad luck and reminiscent in Japan of funerary offering.

They look great!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

For a staff, I think a bell would be better than a lantern. 

If you're going to do a staff, how about putting a pair of dropped chopsticks on the base, as if to say he was eating his lunch when he had to spring into action and grab his staff? 

• Like 1

Turtles are delightful; clocking undead in the face with a heavy bronze bell is also delightful; the combination of the two sounds like the dream I never knew I craved until now. 

These are marvelous sculpts and I will not tire of them anytime soon. Keep up the magnificent work!

• Thanks 2