Jump to content

TaleSpinner

Boxer Rebellion: Box-Turtle Folk, WIP

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, GHarris said:

These are going to look awesome!

 

Is there any chance that they will have options that will make them generically fantasy enough to be used as Tortles? They are a playable race in 5e Adventurer's League but there is a lack of miniatures for them. 

 

You don't say. :B):   

 

Yes you could use them for that purpose.  They will be oriental in style, but should be easy to adapt to other looks as well.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2018 at 5:11 PM, GHarris said:

 

 

Do you know about Darksword's anthromorphic animals? They have turtles in every D&D class (I think).

 

Awesome work so far on the turtle, the details on the shell are perfect

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, haldir said:

 

Do you know about Darksword's anthromorphic animals? They have turtles in every D&D class (I think).

 

Awesome work so far on the turtle, the details on the shell are perfect

 

They do have 5 turtles, one of whom is a pirate. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice sculpts, but a lot more variety would be quite welcome... especially if they are sculpted by someone as talented as Talespinner!

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GHarris said:

 

They do have 5 turtles, one of whom is a pirate. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice sculpts, but a lot more variety would be quite welcome... especially if they are sculpted by someone as talented as Talespinner!

I'm in the middle of painting that pirate turtle currently. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rfusca said:

I'm in the middle of painting that pirate turtle currently. 

 

Pics or it didn't happen!

 

(Who doesn't love pirate turtles?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I continued working on the shell, first I underpinned the bottom side so that the top and bottom will be open:

 

IMG_E2788.JPG.3d73789368e54b59a5bd1757a3fbcd1b.JPG

 

 

Then I added the belly scutes.  Unlike the back shell, these are very smooth in box turtles, so I didn't sculpt in any of the growth rings.

 

IMG_E2789.JPG.d31f45c02073c3866f4f97525c1a8416.JPG

 

 

I also sculpted the tail and underpinned the feet.  I'll sculpt them next, and then I'll be getting this ready for casting.  I hope to cast it this weekend.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2017 at 11:42 AM, Speak_Centurion said:

For inspiration, you might want to look at images of Chinese dynasty art and sculpture of turtles.

 

e94082585d5be238f8007559f32d8dfd.jpg

Technically the figure depicted represents a TORTOISE, not a Turtle.

Turtles [amphibian/water dwellers], by definition have paddle feet shaped for swimming.

Tortoises [land dwellers] have legs and feet, particularly the rear feet that are elephantine in shape.

Look closely at the figure pictured and you will see feet shaped for walking and not for swimming, and the rear legs are definitely elephantine in shape, making them very inefficient for swimming but well adapted for the sort of bulldozer approach to getting over obstacles that most tortoises exhibit.

In any case, it's a beautiful bronze and a great inspiration for miniatures.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Technically the figure depicted represents a TORTOISE, not a Turtle.

Turtles [amphibian/water dwellers], by definition have paddle feet shaped for swimming.

Tortoises [land dwellers] have legs and feet, particularly the rear feet that are elephantine in shape.

Look closely at the figure pictured and you will see feet shaped for walking and not for swimming, and the rear legs are definitely elephantine in shape, making them very inefficient for swimming but well adapted for the sort of bulldozer approach to getting over obstacles that most tortoises exhibit.

In any case, it's a beautiful bronze and a great inspiration for miniatures.

 

It is good you mentioned this, as I am actually going to model the legs after a tortoise, not a Box-turtle.  There is no way it could be bipedal with turtle feet.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if I understand correctly, you're gonna finish sculpting the feet... but is the idea that you'll leave the legs (and arms) as just wire so the cast armatures can be easily posed before slapping putty onto the bronzes to finish them up? 

 

You might even be able to bend some of the waxes themselves to pre-pose some of the armatures before investing... or maybe that's not as easy as I'm imagining - I'm not familiar with the wax you're using.

 

Anyhow, good luck with the wax work and casting, looking forward to seeing the results!

 

Kang

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kang said:

So if I understand correctly, you're gonna finish sculpting the feet... but is the idea that you'll leave the legs (and arms) as just wire so the cast armatures can be easily posed before slapping putty onto the bronzes to finish them up? 

 

You might even be able to bend some of the waxes themselves to pre-pose some of the armatures before investing... or maybe that's not as easy as I'm imagining - I'm not familiar with the wax you're using.

 

Anyhow, good luck with the wax work and casting, looking forward to seeing the results!

 

Kang

 

Yes, that is the plan.  The reason I am using bronze is that I should be able to work and bend it.  Pewter work hardens almost instantly, and so is not very good for armature work.  Bronze should be more ductile and I can anneal it if it hardens on me.  You can't anneal pewter; it just breaks.

 

I know next to nothing about working with Aluminum.  How would that compare to the bronze?

 

As for bending the wax, I've had limited success at that so far.  Either I get the wax too hot and melt the details, or not hot enough and it cracks as I bend it.  I am slowly learning to sculpt in wax, but it is almost completely a subtractive process (i.e., you start with or add more wax than you need and carve down to what you want), yet I am an additive sculptor. I'm having difficulties adjusting.  There is a microcrystaline wax that softens with body heat that you can use for additive sculpting, but I am struggling with its consistency and characteristics.  It just doesn't react to my tools the way I think it should.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aluminum would be too brittle, at least without some fairly complicated heat treatment.  I think you are on the right track using bronze.  It probably would seem weird to some people to use bronze, ie. a type of metal that is normally saved for the most desirable final products in the world of artistic metal casting, as an intermediate step on the path to producing pewter castings that are easy to think of as mass produced toys, but your reasons are sound, and knowing how much work goes into your greens, it totally makes sense.  Frankly I am surprised I haven't heard of others trying something like this. 

 

Kang

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kang said:

Aluminum would be too brittle, at least without some fairly complicated heat treatment.  I think you are on the right track using bronze.  It probably would seem weird to some people to use bronze, ie. a type of metal that is normally saved for the most desirable final products in the world of artistic metal casting, as an intermediate step on the path to producing pewter castings that are easy to think of as mass produced toys, but your reasons are sound, and knowing how much work goes into your greens, it totally makes sense.  Frankly I am surprised I haven't heard of others trying something like this. 

 

Kang

 

The weird part is that bronze costs half of what pewter costs.  The only reason it is not the metal that minis are cast in is that is it expensive to cast high temp metals. Pewter has a low enough melting point to allow it to be cast in inexpensive, re-usable rubber molds.  Bronze would vaporize those molds.  I'm sure Reaper would love to be able to use bronze or brass, but the cost of manufacturing in volume is prohibitive.  Since I am using it to make masters, that cost doesn't affect me.

 

You know, I bet a person could make a mint if you invented a re-usable casting mold system for high temp metals.  Frankly, we've been using the same technology for casting bronze for 5,000+ years.  The materials and methods have adapted, but are still basically the same.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

 

The weird part is that bronze costs half of what pewter costs.  The only reason it is not the metal that minis are cast in is that is it expensive to cast high temp metals. Pewter has a low enough melting point to allow it to be cast in inexpensive, re-usable rubber molds.  Bronze would vaporize those molds.  I'm sure Reaper would love to be able to use bronze or brass, but the cost of manufacturing in volume is prohibitive.  Since I am using it to make masters, that cost doesn't affect me.

 

You know, I bet a person could make a mint if you invented a re-usable casting mold system for high temp metals.  Frankly, we've been using the same technology for casting bronze for 5,000+ years.  The materials and methods have adapted, but are still basically the same.

I should clarify that they do have such methods, the chief being die-casting, but detail is always more limited as there is no flex in the mold and thus many of the feature we love in minis would not be possible.  The ability of the rubber to flex away from the castings is what allows us to have such complicated parts.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By ManvsMini
      Hi all,
       
      Not only is this my first WIP post, it's actually the first pic shared of anything I've ever painted with anyone (excluding family). A bit nervous, but figured I would try it out to help achieve my work goals.
       
      Got this guy with the first Bones Kickstarter, and always envisioned painting him up like an infernal from the Warcraft universe. (Side question, what is the policy on posting reference material?)
       

       
      Right now he's mostly just basecoated and drybrushed with lighter greys, but I'm planning to make some glowing eyes, and some glow coming from between the major cracks between rocks and his fists. It's my first attempt as OSL, so I'm going to go pretty basic. I almost scrapped the glow completely, but hey, fortune favors the bold, right?
       
      Really glad I got him in Bones. I have a copy of him from the old P-65 line (unpainted, unopened), and there is no way I wouldn't end up dropping him during the course of painting.
       
      -MvM
    • By Xiwo Xerase
      Originally, there wasn't going to be a WIP thread for this since I expected to finish in a single evening.  That didn't happen.  And I've been sick this week.
       
      With "20" miniatures waiting to be painted (not to include Bones 4 coming next month), I need to decrease the amount of time it takes to paint a miniature, defined as going from "primered" to "ready to be sealed".  For this and the next few time trials, I will be focusing on basecoat/wash/drybrush and then neatening up as required, aiming for tabletop quality.
       
      After about three and a half hours, Garrick has been basecoated and washed.  (The black paint for the base will be done last.)  The colors are intended to be the same as for 14352: Unforgiven, Crusader Grunt.
       

      (click on the images to see larger ones)
       
      Two things to improve so far:
      Basecoating took so long because the paints were overthinned, meaning it took more than two coats to get good coverage.  The only paint that didn't have this issue is the Polished Leather used for his belt. The buildup of the base around the integrated base was done using Liquitex blended fibers texture gel, which I found to be less than desirable.  I had hoped the texture gel would yield a texture similar to the broccoli base.  The blended fibers texture gel shrinks a lot when it dries though.  What's seen here is the result after two or three coats.  I would probably have needed another four or five to actually get a rounded hill.  I don't plan to use it again, unless I have a lot more time or I build up a substrate under it first.  I plan to primarily use stamped greenstuff for bases in the future.  
      Things left to do:
      Drybrush. Line. Deepen some shadows, bring out some highlights. Glaze the armor to add more shadow and knock down the reflectivity.  (Note to self: Take a TMM class at ReaperCon this year, if possible.)  
      Constructive comments appreciated.
    • By Shadowphaze
      Welcome to my first ever WIP thread!  Where I try and paint half as good as the rest of you!  
       
      I love the mousling line Reaper does and the space mouslings were too cute to resist.  I picked up the collector's set on a mystery site too.  If I like this I might use it at Reapercon.
       
      Some assembly is required...  so stay tuned.


    • By lexomatic
      More folklore minis 11
      A bunch of loose reaper and zombibicde black plague minis 26
      Shelf of shame Mr bones from bones 2?
      Total 38... uh sure
       
      Possibly the new terraincrate town square
      This thread will house reaper and zombicide minis. Others will be in already established threads.

    • By lazarp
      So one of my players bought a hero forge 3d model and then printed it. I've based it, primed it and now I'm painting it in the color combination he requested. I have just finished the base layer (the goggles will be gold with green glass)
      Hope he's happy when it's finished :D

  • Who's Online   12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

×