TaleSpinner

Boxer Rebellion: Box-Turtle Folk, WIP

20 hours ago, GHarris said:

These are going to look awesome!

Is there any chance that they will have options that will make them generically fantasy enough to be used as Tortles? They are a playable race in 5e Adventurer's League but there is a lack of miniatures for them. 

You don't say. :B):   

Yes you could use them for that purpose.  They will be oriental in style, but should be easy to adapt to other looks as well.  

• Like 8

On 1/10/2018 at 5:11 PM, GHarris said:

Do you know about Darksword's anthromorphic animals? They have turtles in every D&D class (I think).

Awesome work so far on the turtle, the details on the shell are perfect

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, haldir said:

Do you know about Darksword's anthromorphic animals? They have turtles in every D&D class (I think).

Awesome work so far on the turtle, the details on the shell are perfect

They do have 5 turtles, one of whom is a pirate. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice sculpts, but a lot more variety would be quite welcome... especially if they are sculpted by someone as talented as Talespinner!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, GHarris said:

They do have 5 turtles, one of whom is a pirate. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice sculpts, but a lot more variety would be quite welcome... especially if they are sculpted by someone as talented as Talespinner!

I'm in the middle of painting that pirate turtle currently. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rfusca said:

I'm in the middle of painting that pirate turtle currently. 

Pics or it didn't happen!

(Who doesn't love pirate turtles?)

IMG_20180113_001745990_HDR.jpg

5 hours ago, GHarris said:

Pics or it didn't happen!

(Who doesn't love pirate turtles?)

:P

• Like 12

I continued working on the shell, first I underpinned the bottom side so that the top and bottom will be open:

IMG_E2788.JPG.3d73789368e54b59a5bd1757a3fbcd1b.JPG

Then I added the belly scutes.  Unlike the back shell, these are very smooth in box turtles, so I didn't sculpt in any of the growth rings.

IMG_E2789.JPG.d31f45c02073c3866f4f97525c1a8416.JPG

I also sculpted the tail and underpinned the feet.  I'll sculpt them next, and then I'll be getting this ready for casting.  I hope to cast it this weekend.

• Like 10

On 12/27/2017 at 11:42 AM, Speak_Centurion said:

For inspiration, you might want to look at images of Chinese dynasty art and sculpture of turtles.

e94082585d5be238f8007559f32d8dfd.jpg

Technically the figure depicted represents a TORTOISE, not a Turtle.

Turtles [amphibian/water dwellers], by definition have paddle feet shaped for swimming.

Tortoises [land dwellers] have legs and feet, particularly the rear feet that are elephantine in shape.

Look closely at the figure pictured and you will see feet shaped for walking and not for swimming, and the rear legs are definitely elephantine in shape, making them very inefficient for swimming but well adapted for the sort of bulldozer approach to getting over obstacles that most tortoises exhibit.

In any case, it's a beautiful bronze and a great inspiration for miniatures.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Technically the figure depicted represents a TORTOISE, not a Turtle.

Turtles [amphibian/water dwellers], by definition have paddle feet shaped for swimming.

Tortoises [land dwellers] have legs and feet, particularly the rear feet that are elephantine in shape.

Look closely at the figure pictured and you will see feet shaped for walking and not for swimming, and the rear legs are definitely elephantine in shape, making them very inefficient for swimming but well adapted for the sort of bulldozer approach to getting over obstacles that most tortoises exhibit.

In any case, it's a beautiful bronze and a great inspiration for miniatures.

It is good you mentioned this, as I am actually going to model the legs after a tortoise, not a Box-turtle.  There is no way it could be bipedal with turtle feet.

• Like 6

So if I understand correctly, you're gonna finish sculpting the feet... but is the idea that you'll leave the legs (and arms) as just wire so the cast armatures can be easily posed before slapping putty onto the bronzes to finish them up? 

You might even be able to bend some of the waxes themselves to pre-pose some of the armatures before investing... or maybe that's not as easy as I'm imagining - I'm not familiar with the wax you're using.

Anyhow, good luck with the wax work and casting, looking forward to seeing the results!

Kang

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kang said:

So if I understand correctly, you're gonna finish sculpting the feet... but is the idea that you'll leave the legs (and arms) as just wire so the cast armatures can be easily posed before slapping putty onto the bronzes to finish them up? 

You might even be able to bend some of the waxes themselves to pre-pose some of the armatures before investing... or maybe that's not as easy as I'm imagining - I'm not familiar with the wax you're using.

Anyhow, good luck with the wax work and casting, looking forward to seeing the results!

Kang

Yes, that is the plan.  The reason I am using bronze is that I should be able to work and bend it.  Pewter work hardens almost instantly, and so is not very good for armature work.  Bronze should be more ductile and I can anneal it if it hardens on me.  You can't anneal pewter; it just breaks.

I know next to nothing about working with Aluminum.  How would that compare to the bronze?

As for bending the wax, I've had limited success at that so far.  Either I get the wax too hot and melt the details, or not hot enough and it cracks as I bend it.  I am slowly learning to sculpt in wax, but it is almost completely a subtractive process (i.e., you start with or add more wax than you need and carve down to what you want), yet I am an additive sculptor. I'm having difficulties adjusting.  There is a microcrystaline wax that softens with body heat that you can use for additive sculpting, but I am struggling with its consistency and characteristics.  It just doesn't react to my tools the way I think it should.

• Like 4

Aluminum would be too brittle, at least without some fairly complicated heat treatment.  I think you are on the right track using bronze.  It probably would seem weird to some people to use bronze, ie. a type of metal that is normally saved for the most desirable final products in the world of artistic metal casting, as an intermediate step on the path to producing pewter castings that are easy to think of as mass produced toys, but your reasons are sound, and knowing how much work goes into your greens, it totally makes sense.  Frankly I am surprised I haven't heard of others trying something like this. 

Kang

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Kang said:

Aluminum would be too brittle, at least without some fairly complicated heat treatment.  I think you are on the right track using bronze.  It probably would seem weird to some people to use bronze, ie. a type of metal that is normally saved for the most desirable final products in the world of artistic metal casting, as an intermediate step on the path to producing pewter castings that are easy to think of as mass produced toys, but your reasons are sound, and knowing how much work goes into your greens, it totally makes sense.  Frankly I am surprised I haven't heard of others trying something like this. 

Kang

The weird part is that bronze costs half of what pewter costs.  The only reason it is not the metal that minis are cast in is that is it expensive to cast high temp metals. Pewter has a low enough melting point to allow it to be cast in inexpensive, re-usable rubber molds.  Bronze would vaporize those molds.  I'm sure Reaper would love to be able to use bronze or brass, but the cost of manufacturing in volume is prohibitive.  Since I am using it to make masters, that cost doesn't affect me.

You know, I bet a person could make a mint if you invented a re-usable casting mold system for high temp metals.  Frankly, we've been using the same technology for casting bronze for 5,000+ years.  The materials and methods have adapted, but are still basically the same.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

The weird part is that bronze costs half of what pewter costs.  The only reason it is not the metal that minis are cast in is that is it expensive to cast high temp metals. Pewter has a low enough melting point to allow it to be cast in inexpensive, re-usable rubber molds.  Bronze would vaporize those molds.  I'm sure Reaper would love to be able to use bronze or brass, but the cost of manufacturing in volume is prohibitive.  Since I am using it to make masters, that cost doesn't affect me.

You know, I bet a person could make a mint if you invented a re-usable casting mold system for high temp metals.  Frankly, we've been using the same technology for casting bronze for 5,000+ years.  The materials and methods have adapted, but are still basically the same.

I should clarify that they do have such methods, the chief being die-casting, but detail is always more limited as there is no flex in the mold and thus many of the feature we love in minis would not be possible.  The ability of the rubber to flex away from the castings is what allows us to have such complicated parts.

• Like 4