TaleSpinner

Boxer Rebellion: Box-Turtle Folk, WIP

20 hours ago, GHarris said:

These are going to look awesome!

Is there any chance that they will have options that will make them generically fantasy enough to be used as Tortles? They are a playable race in 5e Adventurer's League but there is a lack of miniatures for them. 

You don't say. :B):   

Yes you could use them for that purpose.  They will be oriental in style, but should be easy to adapt to other looks as well.  

• Like 5

On 1/10/2018 at 5:11 PM, GHarris said:

Do you know about Darksword's anthromorphic animals? They have turtles in every D&D class (I think).

Awesome work so far on the turtle, the details on the shell are perfect

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, haldir said:

Do you know about Darksword's anthromorphic animals? They have turtles in every D&D class (I think).

Awesome work so far on the turtle, the details on the shell are perfect

They do have 5 turtles, one of whom is a pirate. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice sculpts, but a lot more variety would be quite welcome... especially if they are sculpted by someone as talented as Talespinner!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, GHarris said:

They do have 5 turtles, one of whom is a pirate. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice sculpts, but a lot more variety would be quite welcome... especially if they are sculpted by someone as talented as Talespinner!

I'm in the middle of painting that pirate turtle currently. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rfusca said:

I'm in the middle of painting that pirate turtle currently. 

Pics or it didn't happen!

(Who doesn't love pirate turtles?)

I continued working on the shell, first I underpinned the bottom side so that the top and bottom will be open:

IMG_E2788.JPG.3d73789368e54b59a5bd1757a3fbcd1b.JPG

Then I added the belly scutes.  Unlike the back shell, these are very smooth in box turtles, so I didn't sculpt in any of the growth rings.

IMG_E2789.JPG.d31f45c02073c3866f4f97525c1a8416.JPG

I also sculpted the tail and underpinned the feet.  I'll sculpt them next, and then I'll be getting this ready for casting.  I hope to cast it this weekend.

• Like 3

On 12/27/2017 at 11:42 AM, Speak_Centurion said:

For inspiration, you might want to look at images of Chinese dynasty art and sculpture of turtles.

e94082585d5be238f8007559f32d8dfd.jpg

Technically the figure depicted represents a TORTOISE, not a Turtle.

Turtles [amphibian/water dwellers], by definition have paddle feet shaped for swimming.

Tortoises [land dwellers] have legs and feet, particularly the rear feet that are elephantine in shape.

Look closely at the figure pictured and you will see feet shaped for walking and not for swimming, and the rear legs are definitely elephantine in shape, making them very inefficient for swimming but well adapted for the sort of bulldozer approach to getting over obstacles that most tortoises exhibit.

In any case, it's a beautiful bronze and a great inspiration for miniatures.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Technically the figure depicted represents a TORTOISE, not a Turtle.

Turtles [amphibian/water dwellers], by definition have paddle feet shaped for swimming.

Tortoises [land dwellers] have legs and feet, particularly the rear feet that are elephantine in shape.

Look closely at the figure pictured and you will see feet shaped for walking and not for swimming, and the rear legs are definitely elephantine in shape, making them very inefficient for swimming but well adapted for the sort of bulldozer approach to getting over obstacles that most tortoises exhibit.

In any case, it's a beautiful bronze and a great inspiration for miniatures.

It is good you mentioned this, as I am actually going to model the legs after a tortoise, not a Box-turtle.  There is no way it could be bipedal with turtle feet.

• Like 2