TaleSpinner

Boxer Rebellion: Box-Turtle Folk, WIP

The Ranger is done:

IMG_E4241.JPG.e8652caa6960ae33150f08f1b2172923.JPGIMG_E4242.JPG.80b66d292d4694724ace611d81256554.JPGIMG_E4245.JPG.d6f8f04f299f41f8b93aed21775f0674.JPGIMG_E4243.JPG.214c595fd46c8f951bce3e9581454cbd.JPG

What's Left for this Project:

- Take the HQ photos of all 6 minis.  I'll do this tonight and then send them to my client for final approvals (I'll also post some of them here too).

- Fix anything he wants changed.

- Cut the multi-part models apart and prepare them for molding.

- Send to my client.

• Like 22

Woohoo!

Ranger looks great! Looking forward to the HQ images you can post.

...so when do you start the merchant, unconscious, blacksmith, courtesan, brewer, and child? NPCs are just as important! :devil:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I really love the way that the eagles perch is bolted onto the shell ::D:

Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us, it really shows how much talent it takes to sculpt minis!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2019 at 6:36 AM, TaleSpinner said:

I haven't gotten it yet on my current phone, but there is also an app that lets you point your phone/tablet at the night sky and it will label all the stars and constellations for you.

Which one were you looking at?  I think the ones I was contemplating were Stellarium (if there's a phone version anyways) and PhotoPills, but I'm always curious about other ones on the market! 

... Also, love the ranger! 

• Thanks 1

Oh my goodness they look SO great together!!! You can see the time and love that went into them, I hope you're very proud. Probably sick of turtles for a while though huh?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

Oh my goodness they look SO great together!!! You can see the time and love that went into them, I hope you're very proud. Probably sick of turtles for a while though huh?

I'm actually a bit tired of pushing putty.  I currently plan on spending some time painting minis and forging silver.  I do also have some projects for DarkSword to work on, but will go back to working on those at lunch instead of the intensity I've been pushing the last couple of months.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, LucasPuryear said:

These are really cool, sorry I didn't sift through 21 pages, but what are you using under the putty?

It's really worth it to go through all 21 pages.   Basically, Talespiner started off by sculpting a basic armature that he then cast in both bronze and pewter using lost wax casting methods, and then he started sculpting the different variants. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LucasPuryear said:

These are really cool, sorry I didn't sift through 21 pages, but what are you using under the putty?

@kristof65 is right. Knowing that I'd be doing a line of minis based on a species, I initially sculpted the repeatable features of that creature and then cast them, first in bronze as you can see on the Driud, and later in pewter for the rest.  Here is a picture of those repeatable elements from my last pewter casting:

IMG_E3794.JPG.22178e9a37b4afe20ea22e0ca98ae624.JPG

These armatures were then used as the base for the figures.  That way they all have similar shells and heads (though I did add some variations where needed).

• Like 9

These look excellent!  I hope your customer is pleased with your work.

On 1/9/2019 at 8:31 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

Which one were you looking at?  I think the ones I was contemplating were Stellarium (if there's a phone version anyways) and PhotoPills, but I'm always curious about other ones on the market! 

I use Star Walk HD on my iPad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Xiwo Xerase
      This was originally not one a mini I planned to paint.  However, I got two in an auction lot and the base fits well with one of my few base stamps (in this case, the Happy Seppuku Stone Shore stamp) so... why not?

(click for larger versions)

This is the state she is in now.  She's been primed and a thin coat of Brown Liner (1 part Wash Medium, 1 part Brown Liner, 1 part water) has been painted on top to bring out details.  (I found a mold line I missed on the side of her knee and relined her legs with a thicker coat of Brown Liner, because I forgot the original mix.  The thicker mix is not likely to obscure detail when painting but it does make it harder to see in these pictures.  Oops.)

(Note to self: Get a non-grey background for these pictures in the future.)

I've decided her doublet, pants, boots, and gloves are leather.  Her doublet and pants are stitched in the front and are worn over more normal clothes.  (Both her doublet and pants have obvious stitching in the front and the alternative is undesirable in a family friendly environment.)  Her shirt includes her loose poofy sleeves.  (Which are probably good for a rogue since they mask the shape of her arms.)  I believe the most interesting detail missing from her store page is her knife holster on her left leg.

I wasn't entirely sure what to use for colors so I did a mockup using my paint program.  The knife in her holster will not be visible from this side but I included them to get an idea for how they would look.

(click for a larger version)

The current colors are: (all paints are Reaper MSP or Bones)
      Skin: Youthful Flesh Hair: Blond Hair Doublet, boots, and knife handles: Ruddy Leather Pants and gloves: Nut Brown Belt, stitches, and other leather accents: Leather Brown Shirt and sleeves: Dark Elf Skin Blades: This is one of the colors from the Blade Steel swatch Floor: Dungeon Grey  
      The focuses for this mini are her face, her hair, textures (leather and wood), and NMM for the metal bits.  Let's see how this goes.
    • By Guildenstern
      Been working pretty steadly though bad about keeping up pics!

Did these guys (mostly done) in January. They are GW minis from the Battle at Pelennor Fields Lords of the Ring starter set.

I started on these guys closer to end of the month, as well:

They're for my Luna Wolves, first guy is the Terminator sarge (which I'm painting along with some other terminators from the Burning of Prospero box set)

This guy is a resin cast Apothecary from FW I bought off ebay - he's got a pretty bad mold slip along one leg, but otherwise is a really cool model. I'm trying to paint his little vials and bottles to be more realistic like glass full of ... well, something. He has a lot of detail on him!

• By TripleH
      Started working on this guy today for one of my player.
      Since I'm a "newbie" and have no experience in working with skin, I was wondering if Reaper's Flesh Wash would look ok with the Elf Flesh base-coat for the skin.

For the hair, the player want him to be carrot-top with a touch of grey. The could prove to be interesting. 

I'm also looking for suggestions for his clothing. almost anything is fair game, all though the campaign setting is in a desert/desolation area.

• By TripleH
      Some may be aware (or not) but Reaper's Queen of Paint, Anne Foerster, has a Patreon going under the name of Painting Big. I am currently backing her at a level that give me an hour a month in a private video session. We decided to paint the same mini, Frost Giant Queen# 77592. The current focus of the lessons are concentrating on Layering then moving on to Glazing & Blending.

Today we had our first session via skype and here are pics of what was accomplished on my end. We did have some technical difficulties (mainly on my end) as she couldn't hear me and could barely see what I was doing so I could only communicate via chat.

Base skin color is a mix of Light Blue/Morning After Blues 2:1 ratio and lined with thinned Blue Liner.

The eyes I started with blocking them out with Blue Liner, then Linen white, Ancient Oak, and Pure white for the highlight.

This is where she is at the end of the first session.

Homework: Eyes on the other Giants from the Bones 3 KS, work on lining with thinned paint trying to get crisper lines.

Next session: Shading & Highlight of the face (and maybe the rest of the skin).
    • By Echoside_
      So my girl ( @Zanderina) and I got into this wonderful hobby together, and we've developed a few tricks and styles our own.  Well yesterday I was told my style is very dark and 'Earthy'.  No offense taken, but it hit me I do need to extend my color pallet choices.  This lead to a small challenge between us, as we're apparently very competitive with each other.  We'd pick out our model to be done next, and the other person would pick the paints to use.

My model choice was Hosilla (#60172), and received the following Reaper paints to use:
      Dragon Red (9401), Cats Eye Green (9414), Bleached Linen (9436), Punk Rock Pink (9286), Leather White (9062), Honed Steel (9053), Ginger Cookie (9659), Cursed Gold (9464), Kobold Scale (9458), Golden Blonde (9033), Tusk Ivory (29825), & Black Indigo (9603)

Her choice of model was the Arcanamirim Wizard (#60135), and I gave her the following paints:
      Old Bronze (9197), Dungeon Slime (9415), Solid White (29842), Chestnut Brown (9071), Sunrise Orange (9406), Wilderness Green (9411), Stark Naked (9682), Harvert Brown (9200), Goblin Skin (9457), Ashen Blue (9057), & Khaki Highlight (9123)

Over the next couple weeks we will be posting up the WiP pics and hope to get feedback as we go.  Let the fun begin!!
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 3 Anonymous, 159 Guests (See full list)