TaleSpinner

Boxer Rebellion: Box-Turtle Folk, WIP

Sculpted the feet.  It is nearly ready for casting now.  I think I am going to open the leg holes in the shell a bit to allow for a beefier leg.  If I don't do it now, I'll have to modify it with each sculpt later.  Hopefully by the end of the day today, I'll be ready to make the rubber molds and start making wax copies tomorrow night.

IMG_E2795.JPG.bed50e797ecbfb1f46b8dc21eb02460b.JPG IMG_E2792.JPG.dff23e5d23bbcbc42ba04fa3d4632aac.JPG IMG_E2793.JPG.0dbb8f349cab90e4bb06b09d0754d9a6.JPG

Andy

• Like 10

I opened up and flared the edges of the lower shell to allow for beefier arms and legs.  Then I pulled it from the cork and attached the wax-injection-port former to the bottom.  Tonight I'll make the rubber molds and if there is time, shoot the waxes (probably won't be time though as I just remembered that I am supposed to allow my new mold rubber to cool at room temperature after vulcanization to minimize shrinkage; so no quick dunk and cut tonight).

IMG_E2799.JPG.db7e7c88299548c8f48b0e5b473de146.JPG

IMG_E2801.JPG.cf49e329dbf0b3bd99759623b35decad.JPG

• Like 13

Glorious! Even if it wasn't a turtle man but simply a turtle I absolutely love how this is turning out. I can't wait to see the final product as you continue this quest towards aquatic greatness!

• Like 2

I had grand plans of taking photos of every step in the mold creation process to share with you, I really did, but when it came down to it, cutting the mold layers is very time and brain intensive and I just forgot about the camera until it was all over.  As for photos of the mold cutting process, that will only likely ever happen if I have someone else taking the pictures, as I really need three hands as it is.

So after that disclaimer, I molded the armature and cut the mold.  I cut it very poorly, and releasing the wax is time consuming and delicate work because of that.  That said, I shot the waxes and after a bit of finagling with the pressure setting on my wax injector, I was able to produce seven good copies.

Here is a photo of the mold with a wax copy in it.  You can see that some parts are fully embedded in the mold because I'm still a total newbie at cutting molds.

IMG_E2805.thumb.JPG.10056363c793ce66bdcdddfe59399eb5.JPG

Here is the same casting after I got it out of the mold:

IMG_E2806.JPG.a1b5c0cecd68e9c83adc145e9603e906.JPG

Here are all 7 casts.  I intend to take the best 6 and cast them in bronze next week.

IMG_E2811.JPG.c7631ab4d4dfaecda0a822477d7ef67e.JPG

Have a good day,

Andy

• Like 18

The waxes look great.  Looking forward to seeing them in bronze!

Kang

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got them on the tree during lunch today!  Hopefully, I have time on Sunday to invest, burnout, and cast.

IMG_E2829.JPG.01c5b833e8d5ea504a517e2e9966dd6e.JPG

• Like 12

Woke up with back spasms this morning, so I couldn’t cut the bronze, so I didn’t do the burnout. ::(:  later this week or next. 

• Sad 7

I hope you are feeling better soon, Andy! Back spasms are the pits. 

Such a cool figure idea, and it's cool that you now have the capability to essentially copy/paste the basic parts of the sculpt. Very cool! 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Kang said:

Take care of your back, hope you feel better soon!

Kang

Thanks.  It is mostly better today.  I've been dealing with this issue for years, so at least I now know my limits and exactly what to do when I get a flare up to knock it down fast with only about a day of down time.  On the upside, the cure involves Dr. sanctioned drinking of Scotch. :poke:::D: (Whiskey is both a good muscle relaxer and pain killer.)

• Like 4

On 1/26/2018 at 12:08 PM, TaleSpinner said:

I got them on the tree during lunch today!  Hopefully, I have time on Sunday to invest, burnout, and cast.

IMG_E2829.JPG.01c5b833e8d5ea504a517e2e9966dd6e.JPG

Turrrrrrrttttllllllllllleeeeeesssssssssss! Yay turtles! :hugs the turtles:

:gets bitten:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thanks.  It is mostly better today.  I've been dealing with this issue for years, so at least I now know my limits and exactly what to do when I get a flare up to knock it down fast with only about a day of down time.  On the upside, the cure involves Dr. sanctioned drinking of Scotch. :poke:::D: (Whiskey is both a good muscle relaxer and pain killer.)

Strictly for medicinal purposes, eh? 

Riiiiiiight...  ::D:

Just kidding, that actually makes a lot of sense and probably is less harsh in the long term than some of the more pharmaceutical options that could be employed.  Have one for me while you're at it, I think I feel a back ache coming on!

edit - a couple hours after posting this yesterday my back actually did start hurting, which it continues to do.  That's karma for ya, I should not have been joking about this.  Sorry if I seemed like I was making light of your troubles. <waits for pain to subside>

Kang

Edited by Kang
  • Like 2

I got the bronze cut.  It was a laborious process that caused the circuit breaker to blow about a dozen times, mostly because I was running both the saw and shop vac at the same time.  I have rigged up a cone to allow the vac to suck away any airborne particles as soon as they were made.  The mess wasn't too bad, mostly just in a 6 foot semi circle around the saw.  I figure I lost about the volume of one to two of the chunks I ended up with, which is too bad, but necessary.  Maybe someday I'll get a portable bandsaw like @Kang, but for now this works.  Hopefully, I have enough bronze to last me until summer so I can cut outside next time.

Barring any more issues, it looks like I'll be casting this weekend.

IMG_E2848.JPG.b313070bbc2b23ff30197ec1890a0a2f.JPG

(It really is a very pretty metal.)

• Like 7