TaleSpinner

Boxer Rebellion: Box-Turtle Folk, WIP

On 6/5/2018 at 5:15 AM, TaleSpinner said:

I worked on the monk last night.  All that I have left on him is his arm wraps and a sheath for the butterfly swords on his back.

IMG_E3245.JPG.147519d0f0aedefe3cc0cbd43f5d31a5.JPGIMG_E3244.JPG.6311c3e4d0e7f3ddc5be91e9de292df2.JPG

I love him, he looks so determined! :wub:

I noticed something though, and it may be just a trick of the camera angle, but it looks like he had 3 fingers on left hand, but 4 on his right. 

Thank for doing these WIP threads, I really enjoy watching each one of your magical creations come to life! ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I love him, he looks so determined! :wub:

I noticed something though, and it may be just a trick of the camera angle, but it looks like he had 3 fingers on left hand, but 4 on his right. 

Thank for doing these WIP threads, I really enjoy watching each one of your magical creations come to life! ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

They are all there, the guard on the sword covers his pinky on that hand a bit.  It had to be tight for casting purposes.

• Thanks 1

I finished this guy yesterday (though as per @OneBoot's comments, I may adjust the pinky on his one hand to make it more noticeable).

IMG_E3256.JPG.c23d73d7c3a08a0362cb44375e1aca02.JPG IMG_E3257.JPG.37b43f8d0523de42f70ef34f73c5d01f.JPG

I added a lot of the details to this guy.  All that is left is to add the straps holding his bracers and helmet on.  I should also probably figure out a place to stick a scabbard on him, yes, no?  It really won't fit well and still cast.  I'm torn on asthetics vs. functionality.  It make sense that it would have one, but it really wouldn't fit the sculpt (legs are too short and the back is too round).  Maybe he keeps the scabbard on his mount?

IMG_E3262.JPG.974443c117f219a72aca5abb024f32fd.JPGIMG_E3263.JPG.d4b62fbe355e205c8078bba17d61271a.JPGIMG_E3261.JPG.d09fe82f73cd49e32cf9ff85a405d332.JPG

I spent a lot of time yesterday on this one.  The scales on her armor are very time intensive. As such, I still have a lot to do here.

IMG_E3258.JPG.62f1e876c261b7e4e46f6bd9a8b2fed0.JPGIMG_E3259.JPG.022db9cb02655a6c7cb4bf756a3c3a79.JPGIMG_E3260.JPG.728aa9b7e13d236375e25a0a20f194f7.JPG

I expect to be done with these all by tomorrow night.

• Like 15

now don't get mad...

...but you called the turtle a her, which is perfect as it fits the anatomy of her bottom shell, ie it's flat.  If some of these are technically male, their lower shell need to curve inwards for mating purposes...

::D:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Can I come live in your basement? I'm good at building things and I don't mind mowing....

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I should also probably figure out a place to stick a scabbard on him, yes, no?  It really won't fit well and still cast.  I'm torn on asthetics vs. functionality.  It make sense that it would have one, but it really wouldn't fit the sculpt (legs are too short and the back is too round).  Maybe he keeps the scabbard on his mount?

What about a simple loop somewhere?

My thinking here (which may not be anywhere close to correct) is that a turtle wouldn't be as concerned about cutting themselves on a bare blade.  A sheath would still make more sense in terms of protecting the blade, and softer parts of the turtle, but the shell wouldn't be that easy to cut (though I do know that turtle's shells are sensitive to touch, but they're still reasonably tough, right?)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ludo said:

Can I come live in your basement? I'm good at building things and I don't mind mowing....

I have the mowing covered, but you could sleep in the wood shop.

16 hours ago, Corporea said:

Awesome!  I highly approve! 

Plus, in many turtle species the females are naturally larger and stronger any way.

8 hours ago, kristof65 said:

What about a simple loop somewhere?

My thinking here (which may not be anywhere close to correct) is that a turtle wouldn't be as concerned about cutting themselves on a bare blade.  A sheath would still make more sense in terms of protecting the blade, and softer parts of the turtle, but the shell wouldn't be that easy to cut (though I do know that turtle's shells are sensitive to touch, but they're still reasonably tough, right?)

Great minds think alike.  This is exactly the conclusion I came to yesterday. Thanks for the validation.

I didn't get as far as I wanted to yesterday, mostly because I went down a fairly time intensive road to make the scaled warrior's belt more ornate and detailed than the other one.  I essentially ended up sculpting a small dragon head. ::D:

IMG_E3267.JPG.a7d15345b4ee9de816303c094079cf23.JPG

The bar in the center of the side rosettes is prepped to have another band of putty added to it today.  This will be the loop for the swords as Kristof mentioned. I'll sculpt that today.

IMG_E3268.JPG.8925adae17f12d630744f2b11c210be1.JPG

• Like 17

38 minutes ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

I really love all the details in this piece. Some of your best work!

QFT

• Thanks 1

I got the straps done on the single sword fighter.  I forgot to take pictures of that though.  I spent all my sculpting time last night sculpting the pauldrons for the two sword fighter.  Chinese armor often had the upper parts of the head of a foo dog, lion, ogre, or demon sculpted as pauldrons.  I wanted something that would look good, but not say "evil".  Pauldrons in a lot of fantasy art are used to declare the alignment of a character (i.e., skulls for Anti-paladins, etc...).  So I wanted to follow the Chinese custom, but not be too evil looking.  So I turned to Jim Henson for inspiration and created something that is somewhere between Ludo (not @Ludo) and the goblins from the movie Labyrinth.  I hope I did my hero justice.

IMG_E3269.JPG.d79188595f2ed8c3179bac2a0eaf3c3b.JPGIMG_E3270.JPG.08ebd788396a8e3a8a87804bd733fefe.JPGIMG_E3271.JPG.a395156166e07e735408d2337f7ea341.JPG

Oh, I guess I also sculpted the sword hangers.  I didn't focus on them in the pictures, but you can see them on her hips.

All I have left on these is to add her helmet and armor straps.  Hopefully, I can get that done tonight.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I hope I did my hero justice.

I think you did better than justice.  Looking at them, I think that even a mediocre painter could make them look good or evil, whichever they desire, just with what portions they choose to highlight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, should I do a dragon head for a helmet, similar to the one on it's belt or like the one I did on my ring:

IMG_E3100.JPG

I just had a great idea for a diorama some day.  Have these turtles fighting these guys:

ChaosToads_GroupScale.jpg

as they try to enter the world though this:

IMG_2345.JPG.594aae669d6101a47585e5749384b040.JPG

Essentially, the turtles are the guardians of the portal.  Hmmm...coming to some future ReaperCon I think.

• Like 14

At first I was just going to say "Do what Nike says, and just do it."

But then I got to thinking that a dragon helmet might be too much. 

And I'm being wishy washy now.

I guess at this point, I'd have to say "I'm not sure, but I'll tell you if you do and it looks wrong"

Not terribly helpful, I know..

• Like 2