TaleSpinner

Boxer Rebellion: Box-Turtle Folk, WIP

This is awesome...  ::D: How tall are they going to be?

(I don't suppose you'll be sculpting one of the heads with a bowl-shaped depression full of water to make it a kappa, will you?

I love those guys and used them a lot when Oriental Adventures came out for D&D...)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

This is awesome...  ::D: How tall are they going to be?

(I don't suppose you'll be sculpting one of the heads with a bowl-shaped depression full of water to make it a kappa, will you?

I love those guys and used them a lot when Oriental Adventures came out for D&D...)

20 to 25 mm.

I hadn't planned on it.  But, with the proper bit and a dremel tool, you'd be able to make that mod to them pretty easily.

• Like 6

I did a bit of searching on eBay, and came across 10packs of 2.4 x 500mm Bronze Brazing rods for $7.79 (+ $0.99 shipping for first 10pack, no additional cost for the next few packages) from Hong Kong. 

Sure, that's only about 0.43 lbs for each pack, and the cost/lbs is probably horrendous, but then again, it's in the form of thin rods that can easily be cut.

THere may be thicker rods available that is more cost effective, also. 

• Like 2

Hey,

You can cut the bronze bar into chunks with an angle grinder, but it's not a fun task: lots and lots of fine bronze dust, sparkled like a champ for a few days. We use an old horizontal metal bandsaw, the saw itself is something specific for stainless steel, but the bronze is so soft that a normal saw blade will do just fine. 

• Like 2

I used some Christmas money and bought and metal chop saw. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to contain the dust.

• Like 1

Two ways, depending on your setup, really...

Vacuum, usually with a Cyclone to separate the dust out before it gets to the filters, or you could have flood coolant(cutting oil) running over the metal and along the blade. (Flood coolant systems recycle the liquid)

I use a home-made cyclone separator on my ShapeOko CnC when cutting wood and plastics, and spray-cans of cutting oil the few times I've cut Aluminium. (I cut much, much slower than with a saw, and since I usually cut out shapes and leave a bit of a border, I end up with the oil contained in the cut and the chaff as a thick paste)

A Cyclone will allow you to have separate 'waste buckets' for different materials, so that the dust can be more easily recycled or reused.

I'd go check out the www.shapeoko.com/forum/  for a few hints.

Very helpful and friendly gang, almost on par with this forrum... 

• Like 2

These are going to look awesome!

Is there any chance that they will have options that will make them generically fantasy enough to be used as Tortles? They are a playable race in 5e Adventurer's League but there is a lack of miniatures for them. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now