Pingo

Reaper, the Early Years

It is weird being one of the younger ones on the forums, and seeing stuff like this that makes me feel old. I remember getting a few of Reaper's paper catalogs in the early 2000s. I still have my clump of blister tops, thinking I'd redeem them for swag (never got to). I grew up painting Sandra Garrity figures and some of my dad's old lead ones (no idea what brand - they'd have been from the mid-70s to early 80s). 

And I am really amused by the origin of broccoli bases as bases to look like good grass. Bwahahahahaha

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

It is weird being one of the younger ones on the forums, and seeing stuff like this that makes me feel old. I remember getting a few of Reaper's paper catalogs in the early 2000s. I still have my clump of blister tops, thinking I'd redeem them for swag (never got to). I grew up painting Sandra Garrity figures and some of my dad's old lead ones (no idea what brand - they'd have been from the mid-70s to early 80s). 

And I am really amused by the origin of broccoli bases as bases to look like good grass. Bwahahahahaha

I am just fine with broccoli bases (Once I figured out that the secret to avoid tiny unpainted pits is to paint them with Brown Liner first).

But I did find an early thread on these forums about them, and oh my, there was some passionate dislike.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I am just fine with broccoli bases (Once I figured out that the secret to avoid tiny unpainted pits is to paint them with Brown Liner first).

But I did find an early thread on these forums about them, and oh my, there was some passionate dislike.

To tell the truth I hate brocolli bases.

In most cases I will remove them.

I want a mini to be based according to my taste.

Of course, I'm no gamer but only paint for display and fun.

Maybe it helps...

• Like 4

I don't really mind broccoli bases, but I like integral non-broccoli bases more. Ground with a few rocks, or a tile pattern, or something like that. And I think it is hilarious that they're supposed to look like grass, because they remind me of Devil's Golf Course Image result for devil's golf course

• Like 7

I much prefer the stone bases that the Bones goblins have. 

77024_w_1.jpg

Way better than broccoli...

• Like 7

15 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Quiet!  It's already disturbing enough to me to be using paint older than forum members. 

I know what you mean. When I was attempting to ensnare some of my Gourdough's coworkers into the hobby I found myself realizing that my GW Emerald Green and Blood Red were older than they were and this was followed by the bitter thought that unlike most other GW paints I've gotten since 1997 they were still good. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I still cherish a bottle of GW Glistening Green..

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Well, they could be painted to imitate a ground like texture. I don't think anyone I knew ever thought it was "grass".  The advantage at the time was that it was a solid base, and large enough (unlike most figs at the time) to stand on its own.  It was a far cry better than a LOT of old lead that was based on pennies. Even the Grenadier and Ral Partha figure bases were often unstable on a game table.  

• Like 6

I remember the Daimyo line.  I bought enough for a small force at the time, for use in an "anything goes" set of wargaming rules that was popular in my local area.  I didn't know anything about samurai at the time, literally nothing at all, and painted them in standard metal armor.  So I have an army of Silver Samurai ... if I dig them out I'll get some pics, haha.

Edited by Jeneki
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeneki said:

So I have an army of Silver Samurai

I would love to see that, especially if they're old Daimyo.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2018 at 2:41 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

I WANT to agree with Buglips. However, I must, in all sanity and reality, point out that 1995 was more than twenty years ago, and that makes some of my favorite Sandra Garrity sculpts.... antiques.

But... but... but... that would mean that I'm old! ::o:

The Auld Grump - some of my minis date back to the mid seventies.... ::P:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

But... but... but... that would mean that I'm old! ::o:

The Auld Grump - some of my minis date back to the mid seventies.... ::P:

That just means we're antique collectors.^_^

Someone needs to start an Antique Miniatures Roadshow.

Several folks here could be the experts.

I'd watch it.::D:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Antique Miniatures Roadshow would be much better that Mini Stars.

This looks like a first casting of Kaladrax in metal, still in the box.  I could give you $5.75 for it.

• Like 4