Citrine

Citrine tries to tackle Ma'aldrakar 77580

Severe lack of progress on the last month, due to being too tired after work, some health issues and the main culprit, aka playing Rift, the MMORPG again.

But actually spending some time painting in the last week resulted in some visible progress, namely the neck frill on the blue head is now a dark green.  For some reason it isn't showing as green in my picture.

20180409_200812-1.thumb.jpg.73edd8fbe87dace01dab0ae572d0d73c.jpg

I am also pondering if I should highlight the black head with green, here is some trial green on its nose:

20180409_200842-1.thumb.jpg.280445f98abd33a8167552eb5d347623.jpg

• Like 18

I like the idea of highlighting the black head with green! My only concern to pass along is that it may over-green the piece overall, since you already have a green head. It might be better off highlighted in another color (I'm going to go with my predictable color scheme - purples from the Dark Elf Triad as a suggestion). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

So taking Cyradis suggestion of purple, I highlighted one side with a mix of Deep Twilight and Pure White, since I don't own the Dark Elf Skin triad.  I think it's ok, but I am not 100% sold on the scheme.

20180414_094520-1.thumb.jpg.383330a78da6a1a493bd6d1687dc8f11.jpg

20180414_094529-1.thumb.jpg.34fe4ee6358bfd2170afe498048c56b5.jpg

The shiny area is from me trying fix a mold line right there with gloss sealer.  Every time I pick this bestie up I find another mold line I missed previously, sigh.

• Like 18

I do like the idea of highlighting the black with purple, but I can see how that shade of purple might not be quite right.  Maybe a less saturated purple?  

Overall you're doing a great job so far!  I'm glad I finally found this thread.  ^_^ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a Chinese new year festival. 

Beautiful colours I really love how every colour adds to their personality.

Wonderful work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like how the black head is turning out, but I also have a preference for that sort of scheme. The Dark Elf triad is very desaturated purple - I don't know how Deep Twilight compares. You could perhaps add some gray of the appropriate tone to desaturate the purple if you are finding the current mix too colorful. You can keep going up on the highlights without losing the "black dragon head" aspect too, especially if you focus on the scales that are at higher points, not just the tips of the scales. Fur and scales are kinda funky like that; you can shade both the shape of what they cover, and the texture itself. 

He's looking mighty fearsome though - that's a face to make lesser (all other) monsters cower and pee themselves ^_^

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys and gals, I will try mixing grey into my purple!

Edited by Citrine
Autocorrupt...
  • Like 7

That level of detail on a piece that ginormous ... seeing it come together is a real treat !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I mixed Stormy Grey into the Deep Twilight purple, and I think the result turned out nice. Thanks guys and gals!

I took the facial highlights almost all the way to pure white, I see from the photos I need to clean up some lines, especially from below.

20180415_105804-1.thumb.jpg.3f37750df5f1c23c438d5442335d5c71.jpg

20180415_105818-1.thumb.jpg.feb31c17a5b6ec9d5e3b4057277ee7a6.jpg

• Like 18

More progress, yay.  I think the black highlight is almost complete.

20180420_092354-1.thumb.jpg.e4ab0818e01f60b43abb046749623b3b.jpg

20180420_092404-1.thumb.jpg.f70e708bf93bdee145eadbae575e68d4.jpg

• Like 18

I worked on the white head this morning, got the white scales highlighted on the neck.  Colors used where Pure White, Pure Black and Stormy Grey.  I plan on making the frill part look bony using the ivory triad.

20180421_105911-1.thumb.jpg.3ee81600f7c5f45226cf801e89eb8b2a.jpg

• Like 15

Almost finished with the white face, so nice progress this last week!

Also decided to make the frill on the green dragon bone instead of dark green, so now with with bony ( Ginger Cookie) base coat.

20180422_100640-1.thumb.jpg.6ddea6c9622dbbfceb1d6b23a8598443.jpg

• Like 14

Ginger Cookie is such a useful color!

• Like 5