Talae

2018 Board Game 10x10 Challenge

We have been chugging away at games this year. Not nearly as fast as I would have liked, but quite a bit towards this goal, I guess. I am at 34% for my 100x1 and 12% for my 10x10. I hope to put a big dent in that soon.

• Like 2

My Gloomhaven group just met on this Saturday and I'm happy to say we seem to be on a nice monthly schedule and were able to get in two missions in one sitting (though the last mission we lost and was pretty brutal).  I also made some progress getting another group of people together monthly for some gaming, and Mechs vs Minions was a big hit so that may be coming back regularly, depending on who shows up.  

I even convinced one or two of my friends to buy Mechs vs Minions.  

• Like 2

Interestingly, we just played Mechs vs Minions last weekend (I have played a number of times, but all three others were new to it).

Two of my friends hated it. This game has had nothing but positive said about it with people I have played with in the past, but these two were not fans at all. On the other hand, my wife loved it. She wants to play again soon...as long as it isnt with the other two players, lol.

Reason cited for dislike: too random and the potential to take a mech out of commission with only one poorly timed and placed card.

• Like 2

It depends on your personality I guess.  One of my friends took tons of damage and was loving it.  He was fully embracing the random nature of his mech after a point.  He was seriously considering buying it but he may not because I do have the game.

I introduced another friend who was up for PAXEast and she ordered it before she got home.  

FYI, if you are interested in the game you have to purchase it directly.  You can't get it (firsthand anyway) through Amazon or your local game store.  Well worth the price though especially if you like cooperative, programming games.  AND you get 100 minis you can paint!

The inserts are amazing too! It seems like a weird thing to get excited about, but they are awesome!

• Like 1

Progress:

100x1: 83%

10x10 Autofilled: 95%

10x10 Hardcore: 39%

Daughter's Autofilled 10x10: 83%

Son's Autofilled 10x10: 86%

Wife's Autofilled 10x10: 67%

Apparently, I need to spend more time playing games on my list than games with the family...

My H index for this year is currently 9 with 343 plays.

Progress:

100x1: 93%

10x10 Autofilled: 98%

10x10 Hardcore: 46% (not going to happen)

Daughter's Autofilled 10x10: 94%

Son's Autofilled 10x10: 88%

Wife's Autofilled 10x10: 98%

I am also starting to work through the list of games I want to push to the table in 2019.

• Like 2

Total logged plays this year so far are 409 with an H-index of 10. I expect this to jump to 11 or maybe 12. Hours spent gaming has been pretty close to 2017 (around 205h right now), but number of plays and different games are much higher.

For those interested, here is my list from 2018 so far (hopefully the resolution uploads okay):

1546155886822.thumb.jpg.cf6a098c0fad9c9b6fcd788d263660d5.jpg

I have heard this about Candyland:

As a side note, I play all kinds of kid games with my little ones, but I refuse to admit that Candyland is a game. There is no choice...and after shuffling there is no chance. 

I have never owned a set. Not even a childhood set. (My folk were Dominoes & Draughts people...I did have that Cherry basket game with the little plastic cherries...but I think I was taught the others first.)

Do you suppose someone has fixed++ Candyland by adding a rule, or an extra pawn, or medicine pills, or something?

I dunno if it would be safe playing equipment (Candyland is meant for what,  3 year olds?) but a short stack of translucent Bingo chips superglued together could be a Yucky! medicine pill (amidst all the Candy). Then you’d just need some rule for the pill that involved making a decision.

Maybe an actual game would result. 

Edited by TGP
++or proposed a fix for...

On 1/2/2018 at 3:41 PM, Evilhalfling said:

10x10 is completely out of reach 

a 10x1 seems too easy, but would still require effort

lets see how far I get, most likely somewhere between the two. 

Kingdom Death, solo  x10

KD, group x3  (by number of times played) 

Dixit 

King of Tokyo x8 

Gloomhaven x3 

Shindig Machine x2

Odin's Ravens 

Candyland (unfortunately) 

castle panic x1

Stop it!  x4 

Bears v Babies x2

Forbidden  Desert x3 

Exploding Kittens x3

Kingdom Death, group x10 (by Lantern years) 

computer game turns?

endless

Candyland: 

there are no choices, and once the deck is shuffled no randomness, play a card and follow the pattern. 

and yet.... my mother-in-law stacks the deck (usually during shuffle).  When she plays the Youngest kid always wins. 

The kids love playing with her. 

she has also used sleight-of-hand to correct the deck if there is a problem and someone else starts winning.  

To her its a game, just not the same one that other people are playing.   

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

So @Talae did you get 10 plays in for Gloomhaven? What were your final thoughts on it?

I bought it last year, my group played it twice, and nobody wanted to play it again (so I sold it). We all liked parts of the game, but nobody enjoyed the card/action mechanics.

5 hours ago, Chrome said:

So @Talae did you get 10 plays in for Gloomhaven? What were your final thoughts on it?

I bought it last year, my group played it twice, and nobody wanted to play it again (so I sold it). We all liked parts of the game, but nobody enjoyed the card/action mechanics.

I failed terribly to get my plays in for Gloomhaven. I have played it a few times, but honestly think it might be tough to get very many plays and I should probably think about selling it too.

I enjoy Gloomhaven and at least one of the other players in my group also enjoyed it (he went on to purchase his own copy and start up another group) but one of the players found it too repetitive.  I think he would be more interested in playing a different game, so I have kind of given up on playing (at least with that group).