Talae

2018 Board Game 10x10 Challenge

There is this thing called a Board Game 10x10 Challenge. This is where you play ten games at least ten times over the year. The "hardcore mode" is where you pick the games before you start and don't change them. I am going to use the app BG Stats to track my progress (with the $0.99 in-app purchase to make tracking the challenge easier.). Feel free to join in and share your challenge and progress along the way.

Screenshot_20171231-004208.thumb.jpg.3b4a85b16476cb71bd7fedc9257f0fd3.jpg

I am finalizing my first 10x10 Challenge. I tried to put a variety of things on it. I am debating switching Zombicide: Black Plague for Massive Darkness. Also, I am tempted to put Deepwars on the list but not sure what to remove. I have played all of the games at least once except Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 and Gloomhaven.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Sounds like an interesting challenge.  I might try to join you in this.  So many of today's games require multiple plays to get the full experience, it seems worthwhile to try to track it.

• Like 1

I am going to also take the 100x1 challenge...but not hard mode.

I played 60 different games this year without specifically trying for diversity. The reason for hardcore mode is that I completed a 10x10 this year without specifically trying but many were kid games.

• Like 1

10x10 is completely out of reach 

a 10x1 seems too easy, but would still require effort

lets see how far I get, most likely somewhere between the two. 

Kingdom Death, solo  x10

KD, group x3 

Dixit x1

King of Tokyo x4 

Gloomhaven x3 

Shindig Machine 

Odin's Ravens 

Candyland (unfortunately) 

castle panic 

Stop it!  x2 

do boardgame apps count? probably not 

ticket to ride 

dominion 

pandemic

galaxy trucker 

waterdeep 

Star Realms 

- are all on my phone. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
updated plays, figured out how to list Kingdom death
  • Like 2

I personally don't count apps or PBP games, but I say you do you.

Feel free to change the numbers around. I have seen a number of different combos: 5x5, 7x7, 52x1, 26x2, etc. 

As a side note, I play all kinds of kid games with my little ones, but I refuse to admit that Candyland is a game. There is no choice...and after shuffling there is no chance. 

Castle Panic almost went on my list. It is likely just off the list at #12 or so and will still get quite a few plays. I didn't put the most commonly played kids games around our house on the list: Hi-Ho Cherry Oh, Get Bit, Sneaky Snacky Squirrel, Secret Door,  Banana Party, Super Vampire, and DC Superhero Girls 6 in 1 games.

Edited by Talae

I might shoot for the 10x10.  Or some variation thereof.  I got a few board games over the holiday season (Dr Who & Zombie editions of Fluxx, Agricola, Dinosaur Island, Wrath of Dragons, Cthulhu Pandemic, Milles Bournes, and Battle Beyond Space) with the intent of actually making Family Game Night a thing in 2018.

• Like 2

Well if you are ever in Boston, I'd love to help you get those games played!

• Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 2:58 AM, Talae said:

There is this thing called a Board Game 10x10 Challenge. This is where you play ten games at least ten times over the year. The "hardcore mode" is where you pick the games before you start and don't change them. I am going to use the app BG Stats to track my progress (with the $0.99 in-app purchase to make tracking the challenge easier.). Feel free to join in and share your challenge and progress along the way.

Screenshot_20171231-004208.thumb.jpg.3b4a85b16476cb71bd7fedc9257f0fd3.jpg

I am finalizing my first 10x10 Challenge. I tried to put a variety of things on it. I am debating switching Zombicide: Black Plague for Massive Darkness. Also, I am tempted to put Deepwars on the list but not sure what to remove. I have played all of the games at least once except Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 and Gloomhaven.

Thoughts?

have you played myth before? if not, I would strongly recommend watching a video and getting FAQ/errata first. It's a fun game, but the rules are not well written.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

have you played myth before? if not, I would strongly recommend watching a video and getting FAQ/errata first. It's a fun game, but the rules are not well written.

I have been playing in spurts since KS1...and went all in on both KSs. It is a great game that deserves more plays. It also has one of the worst rulebooks I have come across. Even the 2.0 rulebook is bad (just not nearly unplayable like 1.0).

• Like 2

Lol.  I got the app (and will probably buy the extra bit to track the challenge), but since I never really bothered with a BGG account, I am having to input all of my board games.  If nothing else, it might force me to clean out, or at least reorganize, my board game collection.

• Like 1

You can just enter as you play, if you prefer.

Still haven't finished adding everything, but I'm probably at least at the halfway point.  Family Game Night is becoming a thing (more or less - it's not a routine night, but I have sat down and played board or card games with the kids at least 3 times this year.  Until my wife's work/travel schedule dies down a bit, we're playing 3 player games).  So far, we've done Fluxx, Mille  Bournes, Harry Potter Trivia, and King of Tokyo.  And my son is wanting to invite friends over once a month or so for a boardgame afternoon.

Hopefully I'll get VAST: The Crystal Caverns to the table tonight.  That one has been sitting on my shelf since I got it, waiting for the right group of friends to play it.  

• Like 1

A little bit of necro to bring this back.  As I said in the Acquisitions thread, I picked up three new board games today.  Got the kids sat down tonight and played through Ghosts Love Candy.  They enjoyed it, though my son is mad that I made a candy swap at the end of the game that cost him his victory.

Edited by warlordgarou
  • Like 1