Thes Hunter

Getting to Know You, Jan 2018

Happy New Year Everyone!

Happy-New-Year.jpg

I'm a First Time Questor, So I am going back a bit to our Roots. Here are the oft forgotten rules, as posted by the progenitor of this thread. (That would be @TaleSpinner btw.

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.

1.5. If I fail to post a question, Inara will post a question of her own choice.
2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)
3. Questions are going to be posted between 4AM and 6AM GMT (London time). (Ie. Around Midnight EST)
3.5 (Rule 3 may be the 2nd most broken rule.)
4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me. 
5. You do not have to answer every question to play...
6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why are always fun).
7. Weekend questions may take the form of two or three day challenges, often starting on Fridays.

1st Question will be posted in a bit (had to wait so it didn't merge posts)

•  
  • Like 15

As we move into the new year, Let's reflect on what we liked about 2018.

January 1st.

What was your most HAPPY memory of 2017?

Hobby Related Bonus: What is the hobby/craft thing you are the happiest with from last year?

(Post pictures, or links to Show Off/WIP threads.)

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

January 1st.

It might be late last spring when my firstborn’s Youtube channel unexpectedly started picking up subscribers at a tremendously accelerated pace and it began to dawn on her that she was doing something worthwhile that people liked and were interested in.

• Like 20

1-Visiting family during the summer.

2-Introducing my niece to miniature painting and spending time painting together.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

January 1st.

Hobby Related Bonus: What is the hobby/craft thing you are the happiest with from last year?

2017 was fairly ho-hum for me.  Job was stagnate, which led to a pretty much status quo year outside of work.

From a hobby perspective, I feel my painting has made significant progress, and I am very proud of the silver medal from ReaperCon.  But the thing that I am happiest about in 2017 is one of my children also taking an interest in the hobby.  She picked up the LTPK at ReaperCon and is progressing nicely.  The LTPK will not be too far off.

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

January 1st.

It’s a little complex, and an absurd amount of it seems to involve vampires.

There was this pencil sketch of two cuddling nosferatu, inspired by an old college friend being commissioned to rewrite the Vampire: The Masquerade rules.

That led to this pen and ink drawing of the inner mental space of a vampire PC from a game.

And related were these two minis, possibly the ones I am happiest about how they turned out this year: A PC who used to be a vampire but got better (and solar-powered), and her still-a-vampire NPC brother.

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

January 1st.

Attended my first ReaperCon.

• Like 13

When I got my two cats. It's the first time I've owned an animal in my home and i personally have not owned an animal since I was 13. I don't know why I wait so long to get them. I love having them in my house.

Finally becoming comfortable with the skill level in painting that I'm at. Not that I plan on staying there but I'm not afraid to paint anything now. Just have to put in the time. 

Oh and finally, the realization that I'm doing things that make me happy and are not destructive and that it is not "wasting my life" as compared to going out and partying all the time and doing ... dumb S**** 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

January 1st.

I got to go to a pegmatite workshop in Maine over summer (pegmatites are my rock specialty). It was AWESOME. And things are looking good for prospects at a school for a PhD program which makes me happy (also scared). Sir Cyr moved in with me. Yay!

I reunited with mini painting around April, mostly thanks to Sir Cyr pestering me to, since he admired my old figures. I came back on the forums (last time I was on had been 2010). The Colorado folks recruited me into CMPA. My skills have grown a lot, despite my low painting hours (I have a high acceleration in skill - low painting speed). I love Rainbow Fairy as a piece. I started painting her in honor of Pride Month, for all my LGBT+ friends who could use cheer. She's now living with my closest friend of that group. Necrobard was first conversion piece. Flotusmancer developed my "use purple for everything" idea (thanks CMPA). And Random Dragon, despite not being done, is a super fun project. Thanks @Pezler the Polychromatic and @Sirithiliel for coming up with the idea with me! I got ballsy with the pinstripe pants on my Max Decker figure - that was fun. Maybe in 2018 I'll be able to paint more. I missed the deadline for the painting competition for the Dark Sword ranger due to application writing and stress, but she's looking really awesome (the pros have better dioramas etc than me by FAR but so far I haven't yet seen as brave/stupid of freehand as what I've worked on). I'll be proud of her when she's done even if she isn't in the competition. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

January 1st.

If I have to choose just one...the minivacation my girl and me took together.

Runner up, the moment I heard my job was secure for another term.

Hobbywise..

Tanith's Awakening

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/74701-taniths-awakening-serpent-goddess-by-glitterwolf/

Kaladrax on her Mausoleum.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77556-kaladrax-on-her-mausoleum-by-glitterwolf/&tab=comments#comment-1639545

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 12

January 1st.

Finally getting a job after over 6 months of looking for one. It's been a roller coaster ride of different ones since then, but I'm glad I've found one that wants me back when the season starts again.

I finished one of my most fun scenes, which was my mind eater (Would post the Show Off but there's no pictures because Photobucket=Pure Evil). I'm also immensely pleased to be a part of the Random Rainbow Dragon Challenge with @Cyradis and @Sirithiliel, and I'm absolutely awestruck by how many of you have joined in on the fun. I'm happy to say that I've gotten a dragon for this challenge as well, and hope that I can get to it soon enough.

• Like 13

January 1st.

I moved out of my parent's place after 6 years of stagnation.

For the first time in nine years I have money with which to buy minis. That's a pretty good one, I think.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

January 1st.

I guess I'd have to say moving into a new apartment, though it's not exactly a happy memory. 

Hobby-wise, I've had a pretty stagnant year. The little bit of painting I did before thanksgiving was pretty much all I did all year.

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

January 1st.

There are a couple that I could go with, but for the sake of picking the stranger one, I'll go with having a little argument with a close friend about how I thought of her as a good person, no matter how much she didn't see it for herself.

Bonus: My xmas gifts

• Like 11