Thes Hunter

Getting to Know You, Jan 2018

1 hour ago, Thes Hunter said:

Thanks again Inarah.

Why I do it before bed... I usually remember. :lol: Didn't until well into the work day. Probably because giving my first presentation since being back to work.

Jan 10th.

What is your most interesting story involving public speaking?

(Pick a story where you were the speaker, but if you have none of those that are interesting, then one of someone else speaking is great as well.)

Does karaoke count? :huh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thes Hunter said:

Thanks again Inarah.

Why I do it before bed... I usually remember. :lol: Didn't until well into the work day. Probably because giving my first presentation since being back to work.

Jan 10th.

(Pick a story where you were the speaker, but if you have none of those that are interesting, then one of someone else speaking is great as well.)

I have guest lectured multiple times for an anthropology professor at a community college.

No I'm not an anthropologist. My degrees are in math and chemistry.

I was a case study. This professor studied magical traditions and I was willing to present to his classes and then later to the Anthropology Club and his various guests as a practicing diviner with 17-21 years experience (I lectured for him over 4 years). I went over the psychology of my methods, their history, their connections to cultural traditions, old stories I used to recreate otherwise lost techniques, and so on. Then I answered questions.

Not just demonstrations, though each time I presented I ended up reading tarot/smoke/runes for 2 hours afterwards. But actual questions. Probing questions as to 'does this really work' or 'wait are you serious' and 'explain exactly how this works' and all those behind-the-veil questions it's not considered polite to ask.

The professor was so sad when I moved.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Inarah said:

Taking over for  Thes today: 

Sunday, January 14 is National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day.  Do you plan to indulge?

Did not know this. 

If my local Subway or Arby's will make one, sure. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 10th.

I think Cyradis, the Zombie Queen wins this question. 

I dont know that it is an interesting story, but the presentation I'm proudest of would be my presentation on a nunnery in the Midwest. It was for an ecological design course, my group was leading a design session for the college's staff to have input into the renovation of the library building. We came up with examples of large buildings that had renovated with "green" design. The nunnery was particularly exciting, even if some of the stuff they did wasn't applicable (afterwards I heard several participants commenting that they'd love to retire there :lol: ). 

The cool thing is, the library renovation ended a few years ago, and I can see many of the things we came up with in it. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 6

Not any individual instances stand out, but when working at Gourdough's I appointed myself Commisar. So prior to each brunch shift the coworkers were introduced to such ideas as brunch is the essense of class struggle, the culinary version of the Ragnarock, etc. Imagine a coffee fueled rant that combined soviet propaganda, warhammer 40k inquisitorial catchphrases, selected cribbing from the Mallus Maleficarum, and Lord of the Rings quotes done in the style of a rousing pre battle speech from Braveheart. 

It made the coworkers laugh and the managers nervous, and over time did create a certain "us vs them" mindset that helped keep up morale. Even a few customers were amused by it.

"20 top coming in."

"BACK OF HOUSE, PREPARE FOR GLORY! THE ENEMY IS UPON US!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 10th.

In Real Life there might be no worse choice for public speaker than I. None.

The only stories I have to tell involving public speaking are sad, tedious tales of boredom and misery. 

At the end of High School I was a fool, I did not have the sense to miss a couple of pop-quiz questions or choose D when the obvious answer was B. So I wound up with the #2 GPA. Horrifically, this meant giving a speech at the graduation exercise. I completely failed to write anything, my head was empty of words of wisdom or anything else. I ended up with one note card with about 12 words on it...which I read out in front of this huge audience and then promptly sat down. I spent twice as much time walking up to, and then back down from, the massive podium as I did speaking. 

The Valedictorian only managed about 20 words. It was a :down: day. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was this one time at the big defense contractor when the boss, of the boss, of the boss who supervised my team lead decided he needed to give a presentation. 

The topic was How the Organization was Organized

He gave this presentation about thirty times (limited size conference rooms) to individual teams. It consisted of 47 PowerPoint slides. Each slide had organizational boxes connected with exciting lines, some of them dashed. Every slide had the same color background... (thank you corporate standards! They had just released a standard PowerPoint template, to ensure corporate identity and uniformity) ...and other style elements. 

It took the guy a full hour to explain all the slides one-by-one... Each. Almost. Identical. BlueSlide-with-White-Boxes. :zombie:

And he was so excited that he had captured and faithfully described the organization and all its little boxes with all their neat labels in the Ariel font.

~~~~~~~~~

Boredom and misery...you were duly warned. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Oh broccoli NO. 

I do not like pastrami. It is in the weirdly fatty meats category. I am uninterested. 

I have ambivalent feelings about it. I like it best treated like bacon, toasted with most of the (yuck) fat rendered out and eaten in minuscule quantities as a flavoring and accompaniment for other things.

My husband, Manhattan born and bred, introduced me to it on an early date. It was so intensely salty and weirdly flavored, it made perfect sense to me to order it on white bread with mayonnaise to tone the intensity down somewhat.

He thought I was making a joke. :unsure:

I can still remember visiting his mum in Manhattan and her ordering deli with her strong New York accent, demanding “extra fatty” pastrami. Shudder.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 10th.

Well, I can't say that it's interesting, but I can't think of any better stories involving public speaking (regardless of the speaker), so here goes:

In school, I was the sort of person who sat at the back and barely participated.  Most teachers were content to leave me alone, probably since I got good enough grades that they didn't feel like I needed any extra attention, but in one math class (I think it was 11th grade calculus), there was a student teacher who was adamant in her belief that everyone had to be actively involved.  At least she was that way at first, but I'm getting ahead of myself.  She'd call on me to answer questions as regularly as anyone else, and I'd do so, so it wasn't anything remarkable at first.  One day, though, she asked me to go up and solve some problem on the blackboard.

I should mention here that, when it came to working with math, I had a habit of being very compact with my presentation, as in I'd do multiple steps between lines and crunch things together so much that I'd just use one sheet of paper for homework when most people were using 3-5.  For others, this had the effect of simultaneously making them want to copy my work (because it was short, on top of being correct more often than not) and making them not want to copy my work (because they had trouble understanding how I was actually getting from one line to the next).

Getting back to the story, I went up and solved the problem.  Someone asked how I went from one part to another, which I explained as having done some two or three things at once, and when their expression made it seem like they didn't understand, I wrote those steps out explicitly (taking up about as much space as the rest of my solution, as I recall).  Then someone else asked about another part, and out of annoyance, I stabbed the chalk at the blackboard while pointing to whatever it was that I was explaining there.  It broke with a very audible pop, and whether because it was a shocking outburst or because chalk was a valuable resource, the student teacher asked me to sit down while she explained it.

She never asked me to answer anything again.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 10th.

Well, as a prosecutor, public speaking is kinda/sorta my job but I rarely think its all that interesting. :p I mean, I love my job, but the actual public speaking isn't often all that interesting -- though that could be because I do it everyday.

That said, the "highlights" would include doing a two week murder trial while suffering from bronchitis, having to do a closing argument in a different murder trial where I was the most nervous I had ever been on account of the instructions of law in that case being really borked, the first time having to swear in court (and coincidentally also having to use a slur for members of a particular religion) and the judge being a man who was like everyone's grandfather (and me trying to figure out how to do it), and finally having a judge ask me (jokingly) if a particular word I used in my argument was spelled c-o-m-e (spoiler, it wasn't).

As for others: probably when the boss dropped an N-Bomb in court (appropriately as he was quoting the defendant).

But yeah, as I do the speaking thing much of the day, I tend not to outside of work.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 10th.

I have spoken in front of groups, acted, & done stand up comedy. My friend Mac & I did a skit called Between Floors. It was a fifteen minute gay/straight routine...I played the gay fashion designer, Troy Dela Rouche.

Mac, the ever enthusiastic, got us into Manhattan to do the bit at The Comedy Club's open mic night. He needed to get the owner to agree to a fifteen minute routine instead of the usual five minute limit. While they were negotiating I got a chance to check out the crowd. There was only one guy & girl couple; they looked nervous. The rest of the room was tables of all girls or all guys. They all seemed very fond of the folks sitting at their tables.

SO the two straight guys were to perform our LONG gay/straight routine in front of an almost exclusively LG crowd. The initial reaction was chilling silence. Then a girl at one table & a couple of guys at another started to enjoy the banter. It was a hit by the closing, but  the feeling of imminent doom hung on through the ride home.

• Like 8

I took public speaking and theater in college so I'm pretty comfortable in front of a podium, and I've done a number of business presentations and things at conventions.  But one that really stands out happened in high school.  It was English class and we were reading Shakespeare, each kid having to read about 4 lines in turn.  And everyone was reading in a monotone, stumbling over unfamiliar words. And then it got to be my turn, and the teacher paired me with a guy friend who was sitting next to me.  Now, I like Shakespeare. I had read most of it in junior high. I had performed Midsummer Night the year before. I said "I have to stand up to do this," and enthusiastically launched into whatever scene we were reading.  My partner followed suit, and pretty soon we were pacing the row and giving a performance to a room full of gawping students. The teacher had the most delighted look on her face and just let us go on and on to the end of the scene.  Might have been one of the most fun moments I had in high school. 

• Like 14

Hmmm, I usually don't have any trouble speaking in groups as long as it is on a subject that I know something about.  I was a navy Instructor for 7+ years, so I've spent a bunch of time in the front of the class room.  My students that I am easily swayed off topic, so they made a game of getting me to tell "sea stories" about my times underway.  Little did they know that we were usually just that far ahead of the lesson plan and I was just killing time before I let them go home.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 10th.

Public Speaking is the best kind of cardio I know...  If it also wasn't accompanied by flop sweat and week knees, I'd be great.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Hmmm, I usually don't have any trouble speaking in groups as long as it is on a subject that I know something about.  I was a navy Instructor for 7+ years, so I've spent a bunch of time in the front of the class room.  My students that I am easily swayed off topic, so they made a game of getting me to tell "sea stories" about my times underway.  Little did they know that we were usually just that far ahead of the lesson plan and I was just killing time before I let them go home.

Sounds a lot like when I teach at the police academy. Kinda/sorta follow the outline but invariably they find the "real life" stories more interesting.

• Like 6

On 1/9/2018 at 9:46 AM, Inarah said:

Taking over for  Thes today: 

Sunday, January 14 is National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day.  Do you plan to indulge?  If you are not in the US, do you enjoy a pastrami sandwich? 

Rarely eat pastrami and it's not readily available here. I don't love it and I don't hate it. I will eat it if it's available but not go out of my way to find it. So no on Sunday.

12 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Thanks again Inarah.

Jan 10th.

I am not a public speaker. I have had to give short lectures or take part in groups where I had to speak. Never embarrassed myself but no exciting speeches either. Even when in groups of a handful or so people I tend to be quiet and let others speak. Now one on one or two I can talk your ears off. My style of speaking when in groups is short, sweet and too the point focusing on facts or interesting details masquerading as facts.

• Like 6