Thes Hunter

Getting to Know You, Jan 2018

14 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Thanks again Inarah.

Why I do it before bed... I usually remember. :lol: Didn't until well into the work day. Probably because giving my first presentation since being back to work.

Jan 10th.

What is your most interesting story involving public speaking?

(Pick a story where you were the speaker, but if you have none of those that are interesting, then one of someone else speaking is great as well.)

I'm much better at it now, but in my high school speech class (junior year I think) I was giving a speech with a bit of exposition at the beginning that involved a knight rescuing a fair princess.  At one point the good knight in shining armor was supposed to mount his horse...what was said involved the knight, mounting, and the fair princess.  I didn't even realize what I had said until I noticed that the whole class was trying to keep from laughing out loud.  I looked at a girl in the front row and asked "What, did I say something?" and everyone lost it.

Regarding pastrami, I like it but don't go out of my way to acquire it.

I have no idea why this triple posted.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Your story is like the line from the 3 Amigos. ""We $#%@!& the horses and rode off on the women!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Thanks again Inarah.

Why I do it before bed... I usually remember. :lol: Didn't until well into the work day. Probably because giving my first presentation since being back to work.

Jan 10th.

(Pick a story where you were the speaker, but if you have none of those that are interesting, then one of someone else speaking is great as well.)

My eldest son, unfortunately, was a very sick child and we were provided a make-a-wish trip.  After this trip, I was asked to speak for Make-a-Wish Central Illinois.  "Oh 50 or so people."  LOL. 

The event is a 5k run, and there were somewhere around 250 people there, which was a really good turnout.  At the time, I had prepared the speech.  I burned the speech into my memory, and can recite it to this day (the speech was given over a decade ago). 

"Hi my name is -Darkmeer- and this is my wife -Mrs. Darkmeer- and my son, -Grey-, and my other son, -Blue-.  We were sent on a make a wish trip, and we'd like to talk about it."

For the most part the people kept talking during my opening, and I spoke of this wonderful place that they had sent us (Give Kids the World, feel free to Google it, it REALLY is wonderful).  but no one was listening.  I had my attention grabber next.

"This is a place where children go who aren't normal.  They aren't going to be going home to be normal, to live long, healthy lives.  In many of these wonderful, beautiful children's lives, these children are going home to die.

Full attention. 

"These children know where to wish upon their star when the other children are mean to them, when the pain becomes so horrible.  They know exactly where, in the castle of miracles, their star rests.  It's so small, but the gift of hope burns bright within these kids.  They can wish for the pain to be lifted, wish for the other kids to be nice to them, or even wish to be able to go to sleep when their medicines won't let them.  Then, to see children do things without being treated like a patient, without being treated like a number, without being treated like a test subject, but to be treated like the special ones they are.  To see a quadriplegic child ride a horse because they had a setup for that, to see a child immobilized in a wheelchair, stuck with their chemotherapy and other drugs simply keeping them alive for this little bit of time, and to run into a wheelchair and not say 'sorry,' but say 'hello, how are you?' because it is normal and they are being treated like children.  Children as children.  Treated just like the special ones they are." 

The rest of my speech was spent explaining the trip, what we did, and the obvious expenses involved, and asking to donate.

We were the lucky ones.  My son is well, and about to get his learner's permit to drive (horrified parent here).  

• Like 17

20 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Thanks again Inarah.

Jan 10th.

I have done some public speaking, but nothing particularly interesting.

Now, if Karaoke counts, I've got one....

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 11th

What is your most interesting story involving karaoke?

I got nuthin'  ... not sure if I have ever been within thirty feet of a karaoke machine.

On 1/10/2018 at 12:16 AM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Does karaoke count? :huh:

Separate category, thanks to Chaoswolf. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Thes Hunter said:

Ok. I’ll bite.

jan 11th

39 minutes ago, TGP said:

I got nuthin'  ... not sure if I have ever been within thirty feet of a karaoke machine.

^^this is me too. The closest I get is the group that does karaoke every year in the lobby. Oh god, that's this coming Sunday too :zombie: They are terrible at karaoke. I mean, I know for some people that most of the point, but for those of us who have to hear you when we aren't drunk... flippin torture.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Thes Hunter said:

Ok. I’ll bite.

Jan 11th:

It may be hard to believe, but I used to be a very shy person. Painfully shy, even. I always enjoyed singing by myself or only with a couple people around, but never with a crowd. Thanks to a best friend who always pushed me out of my comfort zone, he always brought me along to karaoke and tried coaxing me to sing, which I had always resisted due to my fears of what other people thought of me. But as I sat back and watched all the people there sing karaoke, a realization dawned on me: "These people are drunk! I can sing better than them! And even if I can't, they're DRUNK!" That thought gave me enough courage to go up on stage and sing, and was one of the steps that finally got me out of my shell. My best friend and I always tore up the karaoke joints after that. I really wouldn't be the person I am if I didn't finally work up the courage to stop caring what people may or may not think of my actions, and to finally be me. The crazy has always been there, it just took me awhile to bring it out.

• Like 8

My hatred for karaoke burns brighter and hotter than a thousand suns. Why? Because I was once the janitor in a dive bar in a collage town that had this as it's main draw. 

Once a week I had to clean up after collage students who thought it acceptable to vomit in the pockets of the pool tables, (often hitting the felt which we had to replace so often the company we were leasing them from cancelled our contract.)

The woman's restrooms were the worst. I won't go into detail but it involved used femimine hygine products and improper recepticles for such. The men's room was a vast ocean of recycled beer.

The rocks glasses completely disappeared and the manager thought the employees were stealing them until we found the piles of crushed glass in the toilet tanks. 

This went on every week for months until I finally lost my temper. I signed up for a slot, but instead of singing I informed the crowd that these things would cease. I told them how the smell in the restrooms they may not recognize was called bleach and how it reacts to ammonia, like that in recycled beer, and that I had dumped half a gallon of it on the floors before opening. I also informed them that itching powder would be introduced to the rolls of toilet paper if things continued as they have. 

Needless to say they were not happy with what I had said, several seemed like they would take me up on my challenge to discuss matters outside in the alley, and I got fired for all of five minutes because the manager realized that no one else in town was willing to do my job, let alone do it well and hired me back on before I'd finished my beer.

Things partly improved after that, but that was mostly due to the new damage charges that we forced on the guy that ran the karaoke, (and perhaps my unofficial promises to him of bodily harm played a role as well). 

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Separate category, thanks to Chaoswolf. 

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

^^this is me too. The closest I get is the group that does karaoke every year in the lobby. Oh god, that's this coming Sunday too :zombie: They are terrible at karaoke. I mean, I know for some people that most of the point, but for those of us who have to hear you when we aren't drunk... flippin torture.

THIS time I was sure not to specify that it should be about you doing the karaoke. Because some of the hilarity is about how karaoke is inflicted on others. 

Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Ok. I’ll bite.

jan 11th

Thankfully I've never experience the "joy" of having to listen to it or participate ^_^ It's definitely not my thing, doubly so given I have heard so many horror stories. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

jan 11th

Closest I've ever done to karaoke is Rock Band, and there the standing rule is I can only sing 2, maybe 3, songs at a time. :)

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Ok. I’ll bite.

jan 11th

I've posted this before...

A little background: This happened a few years ago, when I was out of town for a training meeting.

The local techs invited the 2 visiting techs ( a sailor {me} and an Irishman---what could possibly go wrong there? :rolleyes: ) out to a local karaoke bar. I don't sing (I can't stay on key to save my life), but I don't mind watching other people do it. Well, I lost a bet and so had to go and perform a song. I went to go over and see what was available in the hope that I could find something that I wouldn't butcher too badly. Lo and behold, they actually had a fair amount of songs by various heavy metal artists. Things were looking up; surely I could find something there to do.

I settled on Seasons In The Abyss by Slayer. I'm a fan, I like the song, and I know all the words. Also, I figured that the sound system would drown out anything I mangled too badly. I made a fatal miscalculation though.

You see, approximately the first 2 minutes of that song are all instrumental. No. Words. :blink:

So, I'm standing on stage with the music of the apocalypse blaring out of the speakers. With no song. With everyone staring at me.

In case you've never experienced it, two minutes in a situation like that is actually approximately 57 years long.

There's only one thing to do, so I planted my feet, assumed the proper stance, and started air guitaring and headbanging like a maniac until it was actually time to start singing. I made it through the song and actually got a fair amount of applause.Whether it was for my performance, or relief that it was over, I'm not sure.

Don't ask for a repeat performance at Reapercon, NOT gonna happen.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

I have never participated in karaoke, nor even been present when it was taking place.  But there was a period a few years ago when my cordless headphones used to pick up a signal from what I assume must have been a karaoke microphone in a nearby pub.  Some of the things I heard that way were.... excruciating. :wacko:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

jan 11th

None. I don't do karaoke. People are glad of this.

• Like 4