Thes Hunter

Getting to Know You, Jan 2018

So back in '92, I was stationed  on board the USS BOSTON (SSN 703).  We puled into Ft. Lauderdale, FL for a liberty call, and the local chapter of the Navy League sponsored a karaoke night for us.  So, three of us got in the van and got dropped of at the bar where this was happening, and a bunch of other guys were supposed to meet us there.  It ended up being the three of us in the van, and about six women in their 30's and forties (I was 19 at the time; one of the women mentioned that her son was my age).  I proved that I wasn't lying about not being able to sing (Heart of rock and roll, Huey Lewis).  As I was the only one not drinking, I ended up being a designated driver for one of the ladies who spent the entire ride hitting on me.  It was my first lesson on avoiding "official events".  Although one of the guys did earn his nickname of the "One-Armed Bandit" that night.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

jan 11th

What is your most interesting story involving karaoke?

Not Karaoke, but involves singing.  In the late 90s to early 2000s I sang in a barbershop quartet.  In 2002 our quartet decided we would go sing with the Houston Tidelanders as they had been in the top 10 at international competition the previous year and the director was Todd Wilson of the Acoustix (who had won gold medals with the Acoustix as a quartet singer and singing with the Vocal Majority).  Every Monday night we would drive about three hours into Houston sing for a couple of hours and then drive home.  Anywho... long story short... we get to the first time we are going to perform with the chorus at the Brown Convention center.  We do the morning test and then have lunch before the performance that night.  There is a group of restaurants nearby and we were headed for the Hard Rock Cafe but it had a line about an hour so we went next door to a BBQ place that was half Texas BBQ and half southern soul food.  There was a rap competition going on while we were ordering food.  We listened to a few of the groups with all the extra equipment.  We finished just about the time they were going to take a break.  Our lead singer went and asked if we could sing for them.  So... we sang two of our upbeat numbers during a rap competition with just our voices and walked away to a standing ovation.  Just one of the many fun times we had singing together.  I'll always take singing to a crowd over singing to an individual though.  

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Ok. I’ll bite.

jan 11th

I don't sing to anybody except my babies anymore. I don't have much of a voice. In my college days we used to sing a lot, usually dirty drinking songs. The only time I ever sang karoake in a bar was on a scavenger hunt in college. Me and 2 friends were singing let's get physical. Wasn't that exciting but the girls with us thought it was hilarious. We won the scavenger hunt because teams were made of guys and girls and we had the only girl who agreed to go into the strip club and get a group pic with one of the strippers.

Edited by Zink
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Don't ask for a repeat performance at Reapercon, NOT gonna happen.

One can still hope.  Precedent has already been set that it's a payoff for certain wagers, so who's feeling lucky!?!

As for my own karaoke story, I generally only sing in my car, but we did own a home system when the kids were younger.  The kids wanted to sing Disney tunes, I got tired of that and put in some 80s hair metal.  That ended the show real quick.

Edited by Clearman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Gargs said:

Closest I've ever done to karaoke is Rock Band, and there the standing rule is I can only sing 2, maybe 3, songs at a time. :)

Yeah, I did something like that, maybe Guitar Hero.  A bunch of us got together one night with drinks and pizza. Anyway, the guys were all taking turns on the guitars and butchering classic 80's songs.  After  a while I had to take the mic in self defense. While I don't claim to be a vocalist, at least I knew the words. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Yeah, I did something like that, maybe Guitar Hero.  A bunch of us got together one night with drinks and pizza. Anyway, the guys were all taking turns on the guitars and butchering classic 80's songs.  After  a while I had to take the mic in self defense. While I don't claim to be a vocalist, at least I knew the words. 

Oh I usually knew the words, its just that when I "sing" it sounds something like fifty cats trying to strangle each other as they drown. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Ok. I’ll bite.

jan 11th

Nothing out of the ordinary involving karaoke.  I don't sing very well, not that it stops me and after a drink or two just encourages it.  I have one friend who still reminds me of one night singing random songs at the top of my lungs on our stagger back to the barracks despite not knowing all the words.  Why let a little thing like lyrics get in the way of having fun?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Ok. I’ll bite.

jan 11th

While I may not be a good singer (at all), a few years ago I was at a friend's birthday party and everyone was horrifically drunk and they convinced me to sing.  I chose Basket Case by Green Day.  Simply put, you don't have to be a good singer for that, you just have to know the words :P  And I know lyrics but I can't sing!  I also don't drink much (none at all anymore *sniffle*).  Good news is that I nailed the song, and the surprise was they asked me to go up again.  To prevent further requests, I did "The end of the world as we know it" by R.E.M. 

That was the end of that.  :devil:

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

jan 11th

I don't think I've ever been in the same room as a karaoke machine.  Hell, I'm not sure if I've ever been in the same building as a karaoke machine, for that matter :lol:

• Like 2

Karaoke is about the only thing I'm kinda scared of. Public speaking? Leading a horde? Sure. SINGING?! 

I need to be rather shnackered with boozes before I will sing. Sometimes even thinking of singing in public makes my eyes get all wet and weepy. Alone in the car? Sure. Alone at home in the shower? Sure. Roommate or Sir Cyr listening as I sing in the shower? Nope, nope. No singing then. 

• Like 3

On 1/9/2018 at 11:55 PM, Thes Hunter said:

Thanks again Inarah.

Why I do it before bed... I usually remember. :lol: Didn't until well into the work day. Probably because giving my first presentation since being back to work.

Jan 10th.

What is your most interesting story involving public speaking?

(Pick a story where you were the speaker, but if you have none of those that are interesting, then one of someone else speaking is great as well.)

Tough to say. The one that jumps to mind is the time I almost walked out of my uncle's funeral because the guy running the service kept going on and on about how lucky my uncle was to be dead (and with Jesus).

Edited by etherial
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Ok. I’ll bite.

jan 11th

As I posted earlier this month, I had a grand old time with my wife and my girlfriend and her husband and our friends and neighbors singing karaoke this past NYE. But what I failed to mention is what my wife affectionately calls "The Shouty Shouty Song". I have a bit of a way with impressions, I got complimented on my David Bowie, and then comes along my signature song, "You Shook Me All Night Long". Apparently my Brian Jones impression is good enough to fool Siri. It's broccoli on my voice, though.

Further, when my neighbor was supposed to perform "I'm a Believer", the karaoke machine got borked and stopped playing the music. Between the 30 of us, we knew the song so well that she was able to get through it (with accompaniment!) without any music at all.

• Like 2

Fine. I have two.

One time, I had to sing with the worst employee at [company redacted] because no one would sing with her and they were threatening that non-participating meant [thing I forgot]. So I got to sing love shack with the she-beast-that-will-not-be-named. I couldn't sing and I hated the B52s. So I learned to sing-ish-esque.

Flash forward a few years later. I force myself to play kareoke revolution and the singing parts in world tour.

Somehow I learned how to mimic a few different singing styles. I got really trashed at a bar and sang hemorrhage in my hands by Fuel. I got applause even though I was still kind of bad. I assume I am better than that now.

And that is the story on how I multiclassed into Bard, and then everything else thereafter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3