Thes Hunter

Getting to Know You, Jan 2018

8 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Anyone remember this post from Jan 2nd?

Jan. 31st:

What have you accomplished this month to get yourself closer to that Ideal State?

And if you haven't made the progress you would like, what can you do to get yourself there?

If I remember correctly, my response was 'I don't know/i haven't figured it out yet' or something close to it.

I still haven't, but the events of the last 2 weeks or so have been the exact opposite of helpful.::(:

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

9 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan. 31st:

What have you accomplished this month to get yourself closer to that Ideal State?

And if you haven't made the progress you would like, what can you do to get yourself there?

I do remember it AND I am pretty sure I ignored it. It probably was the diorama-in-a-day part that did it. Dioramas take weeks to make. If you ever do one, you will see that.

I reached my ideal state a number of years ago; i.e., I have attained Crazy Old Gnomehood (Manhood). I live in an Enchanted Forest (pecan & living oak grove) & make Wondrous Toys

(lots of weird thingies). When someone is charmed into giving me their address, I send them my Enchanted Creations through the Demon's Gate (USPS).

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 8

On 1/2/2018 at 5:49 AM, redambrosia said:

Boringly happy with my hubby. To outsiders it would probably look like the most boring tv show in the world, Hubby and I just chilling and doing stuff together. Like, seriously, if the NSA or whoever, is watching us, I feel sorry for them. 

To be quite ideal it would be nice for us to each have jobs where we aren't stressed or made tense by being there. It would be good to have easy access to friends and family with whom we can hang out with regularly. And we need furry friends. For me a cat works. Hubby would prefer a Large Dog, so we'll need a house with a yard. 

Like I said, boring as all get out for anyone else. Heaven for us.

So far, life has been imposing more barriers to my boring, happy life. Since all the factors are from outside sources I’ve just had to deal with it and take care of things as best I can. But I’m starting to get really tired.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

9 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan. 31st:

Studying for my CPA... 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan. 31st:

I didn't answer the question on the 2nd.  And I'm not sure what my ideal state would be.  I do think where I'm at right now is not ideal, but I don't know how to fix it.  (Quitting my job would probably help, but that would cause a different set of problems.)

• Like 7

Jan. 31st:

I've checked a few more things off my list of "things that need to be done following the divorce" and only have a couple left.  I actually painted, well airbrushed a base coat on a bunch of figures, this month.  Done some fun things with the boys that didn't break the bank.  Managed to save some money...but need to do my taxes tonight, so we'll see what's left after that.  I finished a college class and started another one, 24 more weeks and I'll have completed the degree program.  Lately I've been examining certain aspects of my new life situation and trying to figure out how I feel about it.

• Like 8

Jan. 31st:

I can walk again.  As of yesterday I can drive stick again, though I haven't quite got the feel of the clutch yet. Sometime in the next couple weeks I am starting at the gym again, once I think I won't hurt myself warming up. . 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 13

Jan 31st: I am leery of the idea of an Ideal State in this currant reality ( a philosophical can of worms that I'd rather not reopen) so instead will focus on hobby related things.

I may or may not reach my goal of finishing the Thunderers by Feb 1st, but now being able to compare my currant painting skills against the better minis I painted before life intruded on the hobbying in 2004, I am very happy with the fact that I have been able to match and exceed the quality of my earlier work.

While I probably won't be able to match the sheer numbers of minis I was painting a few months ago,the improved quality more than makes up for this.  

I can go thru some of my Games Workshop materials from 1994 and find my newer works match the studio armies in quality and in the depths of my subconcious, younger me squees with delight over achieving what I once thought impossible. 

So from here I paint what I can, when I can and spend as much time on a figure as I need to and hopefully in a few years I can begin to match the works of Jessica Rich and other high quality painters of our time.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan. 31st:

Sadly, the Federation is a few years off. 

In the real world, I've begun organizing and cleaning.  Keeping at my job search and really working at it and looking for something that will make me feel good about going to work every day.  In some regards a part of a trusted relationship is ending, and that is going to be a net positive as the next steps for that are being taken.

Some positives: 

Dishes are done every day.  This is an established routine now. 

I have an established morning routine with the kids that seems to work and an established bedtime that is finally understood by the ending trusted relationship.

I have a regular meeting with my own personal counselor and my meds are working, I just need to settle my head down without electronics before 8:30 at night...

I've established a modicum of a cleaning schedule in at least 2 rooms.  Working on getting other rooms up and running.  This week's goal is my hobby room....  again.

I am gaming again and painting at a semi-regular frequency (this makes me happy).

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan. 31st:

I apparently didn't answer this question. There are a lot of things that would go into my ideal state but I feel it would be too much and too personal to post. Hobby wise however...well there's still a lot I want to do. I'll narrow that down to goals for this year.

• Paint more large minis
  • Try out new techniques
  • Paint/finish the shelf of shame
  • Work through both LTPKs
  • Work on gap filling skills
  • Learn how to pin things
  • Find more time to paint
  • Get somewhat organized (lol)
  • Have fun

And for today's question. I have slowly made some progress this month. I'm working on getting organized, I've tried out some new techniques with some decent success, I've started on gap filling skills, I have cleared off part of the shelf of shame, and lastly I've definitely been having fun. So I am, with some speed, getting closer to an ideal state. 

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan. 31st:

Pretty much nothing but I am calm and content at the moment which is always good. The people that aggravate me have left me alone which is about the only thing that can help. Winter is my rest period. I'm barely working right now, saving up to go hard in the spring. I'm also healthy which is nice for a change.

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan. 31st:

This month I've made progress towards my ideal state by finding a new job in my field (just signed a contract today!). It's by no means my end goal, but hopefully this job will help keep me on track and moving towards my ultimate goal.

As far as hobby-ing goes, I haven't made much progress this month, but I hope to remedy that soon. I'm planning to devote more of my free time this year to the hobby, so I can actually improve as a painter of miniatures. 

• Like 7

On 1/29/2018 at 9:50 PM, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 30th. 

What is your favorite quirk to role play?

It took a couple of days to realize I had a better answer to this. I like to come up with skewball ridiculous ostentatious names for characters...things like...

Hengist Hrothgar Svennladenpoole :rolleyes: the Third. 

And his backstory  will be that he gave up a posh job at Svennladenpoole, Svennladenpoole, and Smythe, Attourneys At Law to go adventuring. 

(...like you do...)

• Like 4

On 1/2/2018 at 4:24 PM, Morihalda said:

I did a similar "life plan" process that I found online a year or so ago. I started with describing my stresses, writing out my thoughts until finding the root of each stress, and then how I would fix each one.

I wrote out my ideal typical day, which involved art, my husband, plants, and pets. ^_^ It's something that I know we can work towards together.

Mentally though, my ideal state would just be emotional stability. I could achieve my ideal state so much faster if I wasn't fighting myself all the time.

20 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan. 31st:

- Art: A big YES! I finished that portrait class and introduced two friends to mini painting.

- Husband: Yes! He's still awesome.

- Plants: Not really.... I haven't really had much Outside energy, and it's winter, so most of them have died anyways. S:

- Pets: Yes! Still as spoiled as ever.

- Emotional Stability: .... No. <_< 

• Like 6

On 1/29/2018 at 8:08 AM, Thes Hunter said:

Jan 29th

What are you looking forward to most this week?

Well, it was continuing a habit of having ground sausage and scrambled eggs for breakfast...and that was about it (...lofty goals huh?),

21 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Jan. 31st:

But then today happened. 

Late in the day I decided to call the IRS. I mean, who here does not enjoy sampling the latest in on-hold music and (perhaps) a chat with an IRS agent?

Anyone??

No?

So I called.

(My return was filed six months late, I had to send them a bunch of money, TurboTax fouled up a form during printing causing a big streak, they’d sent me a cryptic letter insisting on more info...by fax...a mess it was.) I was only checking to see if they had gotten the fax. 

Skipping to the end:

...they told me I get a $729 refund... :blink:

:blink::huh::blink:

So now I have something to look forward to AND the IRS is no longer annoyed with me. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3