hotdogthebarbarian

LTPK: Layer Up 08907 Anirion Wood Elf Wizard 77068

Painted yesterday with LTPK: Layer Up bought with Xmas monies. Followed directions from booklet with the exception of the shirt sleeves. The guide has red sleeves. I went with Heather Blue, and shaded with a wash of 1p Dark Highlights/1p Ebony Flesh/5p water. Layering is a tough skill for me. Several adjustments of shade and base back and forth. I skipped the lining; too cartoony for me. Highlights came easier. (Also bought MSP Starter Set) Tried to shadow Anirion's face on the left more as it is deeper in his cowl. Not the effect I was looking for, but it's time to move on to another mini.

5a4a8b174c53d_anirionfront.thumb.jpg.7ed7642bc6396eaf655cd2aa4bb8d0b8.jpg5a4a8b192e324_anirionside.thumb.jpg.886123b879701ccbaf78a228e723cba2.jpg5a4a8b146942e_anirionback.thumb.jpg.ff9402c1c98bedd21ab635a07576767d.jpg

Primer: None

Paints: Reaper LTPK paints

Finish: Testor's Dullcoat

As per Reaper's suggestion: I did not primer the mini, but I will in the future. I did wash it thoroughly with a toothbrush in hot soapy water. If you look at the right bottom hem of the cloak on the pic of the back you can see a chip out of the  paint. That was the fourth such chip I had to retouch. Mini was never dropped or scraped. The paints simple didn't bond well. (All Reaper paints)

• Like 20

Gotta be careful what you prime with on a bones figure, most don't work well. 

Use a liner to prime with. Brown, blue, and grey all seem to work great in my experience.

But looks good!

Edited by Schirf
  • Like 1

Thanks Schirf, I may try that.

I only have a few Bones, but 100+ metal minis. I like the heft and feel of metal. And now that I've started painting, I love the ability to just drop them in Acetone if I don't like the paint job. 

• Like 1

I use Krylon spray primer (well I used to but now use an airbrush).  If you go the Krylon route make sure to only use the 'primer' and NOT the 'paint and primer'  as it dries very tacky. 

Nice work though!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now