VolksFest

Northstar Skeletons

Wonderful Job, and you choice of blue for the scabbard was a surprise enhancement.

Appreciate the slow development of the deep reds with that nice dark shadow in folds.

Excellent work.

Jay

• Thanks 1

These look great. Currently painting up some Skeltons so appreciate your work! I also just noticed how you painted the nicks in the shield and that I had been doing mine backwards (with dark stripe first). Thanks for the photos!

• Thanks 1

*** Bring out ye'r dead!!!***

*** Noooo not like that!!!***

Good job!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Great job on them, way more care than I put into my skellies, that's for sure.

Those are Mantic though, not Northstar. I've seen Mantic's undead repackaged for Frostgrave, is that a Northstar Frostgrave pack maybe?

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pinkymadigan said:

Great job on them, way more care than I put into my skellies, that's for sure.

Those are Mantic though, not Northstar. I've seen Mantic's undead repackaged for Frostgrave, is that a Northstar Frostgrave pack maybe?

They indeed are! I got them from Northstar so I assumed they were from there.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Guyscanwefocusplease

Hi everyone,

I need your help.  I feel as if I am at a bit of an impasse. I am currently painting an armed force of ancient skeletons.  The primary reasons for taking this project was to practice my OSL on the eyes, and trying my hand at verdigris for the first time.  I love how both the skeletons and the ancient metal are coming out.  However, I feel as if there is not enough contrast on the models, and when viewing them from tabletop distance, they look too... homogeneous.  Do they look "boring" to anyone else? Does anyone else have a suggestion for how to fix them?

• By Ash Adler
      Some more practice/experimenting on a skeleton from the stocking stuffer extras.  I tried adding a little something to the base, since I got a hodgepodge of basing supplies as part of a quest from the Getting To Know You thread.

There are a couple of more pictures on my blog, though there's not much in the way of the process since I was running out of things to say about skeletons : link

I'd really just picked the deadest-looking bits of moss that I could find for the basing, but a friend said that it made it seem like he was standing over the remains of some vanquished rival skeleton, so yay for that
    • By Rat13
      A while back my wife said she'd like to try painting sometime. I said sure and didn't really think about it, then tonight she said she'd like to try. Now I had just primed a bunch of miniatures a week or two ago, had I remembered that passing comment I would have primed one for her too.

When I first got into miniature painting I bought a few bags of skeletons (kind of like the old green plastic army men but they're yellowish skeletons). Size wise these skeletons are larger than a D&D skeleton. I planned to use a few as large skeletons, a minotaur skeleton, or a skeleton statue.

These miniatures were great to learn on, so I got one out for her to paint. These skeletons weren't really meant to be painted and if they're not primed you really need to layer it on. We muscled through though.

I took her step by step through the Reaper Learn to Paint pamphlet. Which is the same way I learned to do skeletons.

First we did a wet application of white followed by Dirty Bone. Next I had her apply a thin wash of Pure Black finishing it with a dry brush of Dirty Bone. 

Everything else got a simple wet layer. Shield and sword were Honed Steel, the helmet and back of the shield were Leather Brown, the pommel of the sword was a mixture (Pure Black, Honed Steel, and a little White), and the sword's decoration was White.

Painting a miniature especially a larger one may have given her a newfound respect for my hobby. I think it came out really well though.

• By Guyscanwefocusplease
      Hi everyone!

So looking back at 2017, I am absolutely ashamed to see that I had only completed 5 (five! Only five!) Miniatures this year. Granted, I didn't have access to my painting stuff until April, and had five major life events happen this year both good and bad. The minis I did complete I am very happy with, and I did really push myself to get better and learn some new techniques.  I also started about 30 miniatures that have not been finished, so I did more painting than it seems. 

When looking at my paint desk it has become apparent that I have far, far too many unfinished projects- including a few from more than four years ago. 

Therefore I have 3 goals for 2018:

1) paint 52 miniatures within the calendar year. Any stand alone miniature counts.

2) of these 52, complete at least one CAV force to bring to reapercon 2018.

3) complete two unfinished miniatures before starting a new miniature.

In that vein, I have started my resolution a little early:
       These are 20 skeletons from wargames factory I assembled and primed this summer, but never finished as I had airbrush problems. Tonight in about 2 hours I blocked them in woodstain brown and began dry brushing with terrah khaki- a nice bone color by the way! 

My intention is the shade and highlight them, then arm them. I want to use these guys as an excuse to try verdigris... I am very excited to see how it turns out. If i get these guys done I'll already be more than a third of the way to 52 miniatures. Wish me luck and expect more update soon!
    • By Ash Adler
      I found myself with a few free skeleton minis in the bonus stocking from my December order, so I tried doing a quick (by my standards; it still took about 4 or 5 hours ) paint job on one of them using mostly the same color scheme as the skeleton from the "Learn to Paint - Core Skills" kit as a check for my progress at painting.  But it'd be a bit boring to just do that, and I was still salty about the results of my previous attempt at glowing eyes, and I wanted some general freehand practice, so I had a bit of extra fun with the eyes and shield.

As usual, thought process and more pictures are at my blog: link

I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out, overall.  The recesses for the gaps (between the ribs, on the forearms, and on the lower legs) should've been darker, some of the blacklining is sloppier than I'd like (particularly on the front trim and back bands of the shield), and there are little mistakes with all three characters on the shield freehand, but for something that I did relatively quickly, I can't complain too much.  I'm still adjusting to having a bit of flow improver in my dropper bottle water, so some paint control issues are to be expected while I get used to having more control over how my brush pressure affects how the paint comes off the bristles, though I think the change will be worth it in the long run even just based on the difference that I've felt so far.  On the plus side, I think the eyes turned out pretty good, and I'm getting better at not having so much of an ugly chalky look on my white highlighting.

C&C welcome .  I think the part of this mini that I'm the most disappointed in is the teeth, so advice on how to get better definition there would be especially helpful.
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)