Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix Rising

Tips for light wood tones like natural oak/pine?

I'm wondering what people use to reproduce natural or light varnished oak and pine wood. Darker woods and weathered wood aren't too difficult with Reaper's paint selection, but I can't seem to find the right combo to get anything close to natural oak or pine - either the "neutral" light wood color of oak or the yellower tones of pine and varnished oak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arc 724 said:

Personally I would go with the Warm light Brown Triad.  Then add in there a little of the Terran Khaki for highlights. 

Thanks for the start on this! Here's what I wound up with for an Oak...

I'm working on DwarvenForge pieces, so the starting material is dark, not white Bonesium. Base coat in Leather Brown. Wash in Chestnut Brown, trying to get a decent coat in crevasses but not much on top. Re-wash lightly in Leather Brown - don't want too much Chestnut... I didn't have the rest of the Warm Brown triad, so followed with a liberal drybrush of 2-pt Leather Brown to 1-pt Pokorny Stone Edge (equivalent to one of the yellow bone colors I think). Highlight with Desert Sand light drybrush - liked it more than the Khaki.

The result is a bit sandy compared to the image, but pretty decent; perhaps a bit more Chestnut on the wash isn't so bad...

20180101_190737-468x471.jpg.1bed5405c14110ef323c20a9d59b94b3.jpg

Inside of a wagon wheel for testing...

For the yellower Pine, the Golden Blond looks like a good option for the first drybrush. A final wash of Leather Brown might work to yellow up the tone if that's not available.

Edited by Phoenix Rising
  • Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DavePgh
      I hear horror stories about people getting frozen bottles of paint. Is there any way to tell if the paint has been frozen prior to using it? I was concerned about this when I did my holiday paint order, but it was a little unseasonably warm the day they were delivered. What does frozen paint look like & is there a way to salvage it if it has been frozen?
    • By strawhat
      OK, I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but are Reaper examining the potential for colorshift paints?  With those big bugs coming in Bones IV, now (or very soon) might be a good time for some sparkly shiftiness.

If this can't be answered, that's OK--nuke away.  But I'd be curious to know the ifs and whys (if available).

I just suddenly felt like I needed them.
    • By Lord_Ashenwyte
      Hey everyone,

Having spent the last 4 weeks away from any sort of miniatures (Fun vacation tho!), I'm super eager to paint again, and with my return flight being tomorrow, I thought I'd make this thread as a sort of documentation/to-do list. I want to clear my backlog because I'll be frank I'm sick of staring at unpainted plastic every day and I want to do something remotely productive in these remaining four weeks I have free. I have mostly Warhammer miniatures, though there is some Mantic and Reaper stuff in there. 

First of all to be done is this charming fellow. 

A Stormcast chap who I first tested sculpting fur on, which I'm reasonably happy with. A closer look at the fur, which does look like guacamole in this picture.

Right now it's a standard basecoat and drybrush fur, but I will re-doing the fur and wet blend it to something like what this fellow has.

Have a nice day! 

• By sumbloke
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/picolor/picolor-any-color-anywhere-anytime?ref=discovery

Sounds like an interesting paint mixer. Not sure I'd get it myself, but some people on this forum might be interested...
    • By DocPiske
      I haven't seen this posted anywhere else on the boards and did not find anything by searching, but RealmSmith has posted an interview from GAMA on YouTube with Ron and Ed. If this has already been posted, please feel free to nuke this post with extreme prejudice. As YouTube is a commercial site, no link but searching RealmSmith and Reaper will get you there.

Here are my notes:

Pathfinder Paints (!) - 56 new colors, Golarian specific colors, ETA October.

Learn to Paint kit expansions, 6 additional colors each and instructions, 4 expansion sets, ETA June or July.

Pathfinder Learn to Paint kit being worked on.

• Who's Online   25 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)