fanguad

Secret Sophie 2017: Rasia, Bladedancer (02970)

I like the way yours turned out.  Your assessments are pretty spot on with the gold.  I have mine here I entered in Rcon '16 that I use as a reference.  You gold is highlited pretty well and reads nicely as gold.  Bikini Top I wanted to create a bit more of a shiney feel for it, so I put a darker color immediately under the highest point (pseudo SENMM).  

Now for the sword, your highlight placement is pretty much where I put mine.  I think the big thing you missing is the mid-tones.  You go to quickly to the dark color is the best way I can describe it.  Now I'm not the best at NMM or describing how I do things.  So if you need anything explained better feel free to ask.::):

• Like 1

Looks really good!

Regarding the placement of the steel highlights (and with full disclosure that my NMM results are much worse than what you did, so anything that I say about it should be taken with some skepticism), this video is the best explanation that I've come across for NMM highlighting logic: link.  Applying it to your mini, I think the sword blades would work like flat panels, so that would mean having a bright highlight near the bottom tip of the left-hand sword and bottom edge of the right-hand sword where it's sticking out past her left hip.  Adding some highlights on the edges might also help with making them more visible (similar to the concept of using highlight/shadow contrast to add emphasis to armor panels as described in this video), but if you were to do that, I'd keep it to just one edge at the top and one edge at the bottom of each blade so that it gives some illusion of coming to a sharp cutting edge (i.e. I think that having that contrast on all of the edges would emphasize that it's got a rectangular cross-section :lol:).

She looks great!  I love your high-contrast work, as always, and I think the whole piece is just excellent!!!  I'm especially jealous of your work on her hair!

As far as the NMM sword goes, my main suggestion would be that you should try treating the cutting edge of the blade as a different surface from the sides of the blade.  In other words, you painted the sword as if it had a triangle cross-section (two sides and a back) while I would suggest looking at it more like a very elongated pentagon (a back, two broad sides, and two small cutting sides).  That would allow you to make the streaks of reflected light show up in slightly different locations between the cutting edge and the sides of the blade (because the blade is slightly curved), and that would sell the overall shape of the blade better, I think.  Alternatively, you can often use the whole cutting edge as a glint surface with good results.  But that is all just my two cents, and the blade really does look quite good as is!  ::):

• Like 2

Looks fantastic!

The NMM may be off a little bit but I think that it still looks cool anyways!  I am going to try some NMM on a few cheap Orc I got from the Bay recently but not sure how it will go.  My biggest hangup right now, like you, is where to place the highlights.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chris Palmer
      This past week, I painted Kassandra of the Blade from the Bones 3 Core Set.   A couple weeks ago, I found myself painting up a Disney Monopoly Snow White figure to command a unit of Dwarf Miners (Long story you can read about here: Princess Snow), and I was really struck by the simple but effective primary color scheme of Snow White's outfit.  I immediately decided I wanted to paint a Bones female fighter figure with the same palette.

So, I pawed through my boxes of unpainted Bones, and fell upon Kassandra of the Blade as the most suitable of what I had.    The one thing I didn't like about her was the dual-wielding of swords.  So I decided to chop off her left hand and replace it before I started painting her.
            Then came the decision of what to replace it with.  I considered a shield for a while, then in looking through my box of Bones transplant donors I came across Sarah the Seeress, whose staff had gone to make my Highland Heroine into a Frostgrave Appentice, leaving her with just her left hand holding an orb of some sort. At first I thought, no, why would Snow White be holding a crystal ball; but then it hit me: paint it like an apple.      So it was an easy matter to cut off Kssandra's left hand at the wrist and glue on Sarah's hand with the orb.

And here's the final result.  I'm really happy with how it turned out, and probably it's one of the best faces I've done to date.

Fhttp://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2018/07/kassandra-of-blade-bones-3-figure.htmlull painting article on my blog:  
    • By giyomuSan
      Hi, continuing with the wizkids ( still 2 remaining to finish the batch I ordered ^^ ) but I just received some new Bones today , finally :D

Anyway , just finshed one of the 2 elfes female paladin.

• By Pingo
      This is an old Ral Partha Shadowrun figure, now sold by Ironwind Metals as part of the set 20-568, Male and Female Bodyguards. We're using her for a Vampire: The Masquerade character.

I liked her Old School late 20th century futurism look.

There is very little actual black on her. Most of that is lots of other colors, mixed.

There is no WIP thread, but questions and comments are welcome.

• By Pingo
      So while I was shopping at Ral Partha Europe (not the same as Ral Partha), I spotted some figures from Das Schwarze Auge which looked kind of nice in an Old School sort of way.

Das Schwarze Auge was apparently Germany's answer to D&D in the 1980s. It was (might still be) quite popular there.

I don't know the history of the figures.

This is Das Schwarze Auge 15500F, "Female Elf Ranger". I have been thinking of her as "Plains Elf".

I started this figure a while back, keeping it at the back of my painting table and adding bits as I painted other things.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

I already painted her face before I took a picture.

• Who's Online   24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)