NomadZeke

Resolutionary Painting Challenge 2018 Chatter/Questions

[MOD]Please use the full SKU and name of Reaper minis in the titles of your Show Off threads, per forum guidelines. You can find this information on the blister card or in the online store. I also like to give credit to the sculptor in a tag, so people can find their favorites.

Posting Non-Reaper Figures

When you post in Show off, please use the topic title line for the name of your creation, and use the tags for the manufacturer. That way, you're descriptive and search-friendly at the same time while giving credit where it's due. Use Tags liberally, for manufacturer, name, part number, modifications done, etc. These help our members find your model!

Posting Reaper Figures

When you post in Show off, please use the topic title line for the part number AND name of your creation, and use the tags for the other descriptions. That way, you're descriptive and search-friendly at the same time while giving credit where it's due. Use Tags liberally, for description, modifications done, etc. These help our members find your model!

We have a high volume of posts generated from this challenge, which is great! But it's also creating a lot of work for the mods. Ladystorm has already urged folks to comply with these guidelines.[/MOD]

As an experiment, this project has been moved to be a bi-monthly challenge last year, that seemed to have worked so until further notice that is our format. The longer time frame theoretically will give less stress to painting, and allow more complex jobs, and more sinister challenges.

FAQ

Reaper only? - No.

If going on vacation, can I paint a mini(s) ahead to cover that time frame? - Yes.

Are speed paints acceptable - Yes.

Can it be a mini started previously? - Yes.

Based or unbased? - Yes.

Do minis for exchanges count? - Yes.

NEW RULE - Size Equivilancy

(This list is subject to change as bones 3 releases)

Medium and smaller = 1 ea

Simple Terrain (plain floors, walls) = 1ea

Complex Terrain (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Terrain/latest/03518 or such) = 2 ea

Large (Giants and the like) = 2 ea

Huge (Most dragons, Demon Minotaur Lord, etc) = 3 ea

Bigger (Kally, Khanjirra, etc) = half of quota – rounded up

Colossal ("Tianot,") = quota

Due to the variable nature of a CAV I compare them against a generic 28mm figure and the Avatar large figure. I take height and bulk into considering if it is worth 1 or 2 figures.

If it's not in this list, it counts as 1.

Spoiler

Thunderbird

Emperor

Ronin

Simba

Tiamat

Katana

Tyrant

Starhawk

Regent

Cataphract

Silverback

Kraken

If you have a question on the size, please post it here, and I'll address them individually.

Much like last year, the idea is to help those of us that normally paint VERY little, to start painting more.

You challenge begins...now!

And Our Mantra:

4 for the exchanges, something new to try

12 for the monsters, who in the dungeons moan

7 for the competition, to please the judges eye

19 for the table top, which will set the tone

9 for the players, doomed to see their characters die

One for the master painter on his ergonomic throne

In the well lit studio where no shadows lie

one tag to hue them all, one tag to bind them

one tag to bring them all and in the forum find them.

In the well lit studio where no shadows lie

Participants:

If your name is missing, or you believe your count is incorrect, please PM me. Please note: to make counts easier, you must post in the bi-monthly thread.

Pending

The objective:

To paint 52+ minis throughout the course of the year via bi-monthly quota

(each bi-monthly thread will have the quota listed as well as the master list)

What qualifies:

Darn near anything!

Reaper/non-reaper!

Any material!

Shelf of shame minis from ages long forgotten!

Exchange minis!

Speed paints!

Armies! (Though I'd encourage perhaps something outside the army as well)

Any Size!

Based/unbased!

Etc! (I think that covers everything)

Jan/Feb: 8: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78658-janfeb-rpchallenge/
March/April: 9: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79997-marchapril-rpchallenge/
May/June: 9
July/August: 9:
Sept/Oct: 8:

Nov/Dec: 9:

Again, I request that when tagging your posts, please use "RPChallenge" to help with locating minis from this.

Edited by NomadZeke
  • Like 5

I'll toss my hat in the ring again, though I suspect that I will ultimately fail (especially since I am anticipating moving this year). However, it will provide me with motivation to paint as I have a metric Fecal-Ton of minis to paint, and will be getting a bunch of Dwarven Forge (hopefully) sometime this year as well.

Don't know how many of the challenges I'll do, but if I see one that looks promising, I'll give it a shot!

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

So, for the finger painting challenge, are the crates/barrels allowed?  Or did they get disqualified?

I decided "no crates/barrels" was a tad silly, but I think it's just more fun to see how people can paint something more complex than that.

• Like 2

It really depends on the complexity of the terrain. Each mini would be 1, something simple like a field would be 1 for the terrain piece, but if you're talking complex like a duel on the stairs, a finished tavern, whatever, tha'd definitely be 2. by itself, so 3-4 varying on complexity...if that helps?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, NomadZeke said:

It really depends on the complexity of the terrain. Each mini would be 1, something simple like a field would be 1 for the terrain piece, but if you're talking complex like a duel on the stairs, a finished tavern, whatever, tha'd definitely be 2. by itself, so 3-4 varying on complexity...if that helps?

Yes! So books in a meadow...would that be a 2? Not sure what qualifies as complex.

2 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Yes! So books in a meadow...would that be a 2? Not sure what qualifies as complex.

If it's more than just simple dirt/grass/static grass I'd PROBABLY say 2...

Besides...
guidelines.jpg.3b1b83d0f3f069fc4e4335e50cff4c07.jpg

• Like 7