NomadZeke

Resolutionary Painting Challenge 2018 Chatter/Questions

I'm in!

Also, I hate the word bimonthly. I never know if it's every two months or twice a month. >< silly English language.

I totally spaced out on the RPChallenge last year I think =/

• Like 1

Sooo if I post this guy on the Jan/Feb thread he would count as 1?  But if I added basing enhancements he would be 2?

• Like 1

Challenge Accepted!

I got burned out and didn’t paint anything at all for most of last year. But I’m refreshed now and ready to go. 

• Like 1

I'm ordering a bunch of supplies and minis tomorrow, might as well join in, doubly so given my GW backlog from days gone by.  And hey, fun and friendly challenges are always a good motivator ^_^

I have a question regarding the fingerpainting challenge...  Is one able to use things like paper towel / shop towels / rags creatively, assuming they're wrapped around your finger(s) at the time?  By such I'm not referring to using them as a replacement brush, more as something for removal/smearing of paint.  As an example, think of the "old" ragging technique for getting "texture" when painting a wall in one's room.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Envii said:

Sooo if I post this guy on the Jan/Feb thread he would count as 1?  But if I added basing enhancements he would be 2?

vignette/dioramas are factored differently - on this particular one that would be more under 'single mini basing'

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I have a question regarding the fingerpainting challenge...  Is one able to use things like paper towel / shop towels / rags creatively, assuming they're wrapped around your finger(s) at the time? 

hahahano.jpg.6e445da232e3efe2e2efcbc437022a27.jpg
(I just love that picture...) but really, fingerpainting is using only your fingers to apply paint. There's some past examples that people did some REALLY nice stuff that way, actually considering the limitations. It's meant to be a fun challenge, hypothetically if you wanted to file your fingernail down to a paint for detail work you can, but the spirit of the challenge is strictly your digits.

• Like 2

I am in again, but as usual I probably won't do any challenges.

• Like 1

I'm in. Last year I didn't get a lot done, but whenever I remembered about the challenge it always made me do at least something.

The weather isn't nice enough to prime the ones I really want to paint right now, but I have quite a few random minis I am going to try and get done this month.

• Like 2

I have a question on size. I just finished the Stoneskull Dire Bear, and I'm working now on 77029 Silverhorn Unicorn, and noticed that both are larger than my character minis, but smaller than a giant. Would they qualify as medium or large?

Pic for size reference:

Spoiler

20180113_103420-1024x576.thumb.jpg.8a7ce1c51b1e9026d1aa9564f6b13a9f.jpg

Edited by Fire_Eyes
  • Like 3

I have those myself...let me do an in-person comparison and get back to you on that in the next couple days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, when I base & catalog my mini's, I generally use the Pathfinder Bestiary which has the Giant, Dire Bear, & Unicorn as large creatures, so that's how I would initially submit them.

Ultimately its up to the discretion of of the moderator of this challenge.  

• Like 2

But... I don't know if I want to sacrifice a figure to the fingers! Maybe a skeleton? For shizngiggles? 

Frosty... I got some ideas on that... 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

But... I don't know if I want to sacrifice a figure to the fingers! Maybe a skeleton? For shizngiggles? 

Frosty... I got some ideas on that... 

I'm tempted to "sacrifice" Rictus to such an endeavour...  I'll have four of him soon enough anyways, assuming hubby doesn't want one.....  Although I will admit, that's kind of why I ordered 77254 Beastman Champion, as well as 77473 Kogo, Male Kitsune...  Well, that and was curious about the sculpts and how they are in Bones, but still.  Well, Kogo is geniunely interesting to me, but the Beastman...  Hard to say.  Seemed like just outside the bounds of what I'd normally get, and seemed like it could potentially be friendly to fingerpainting ^_^

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Red The White
      Hello, compatriots! I am a college student in desperate need of useful sources of information! I have taken upon the task of writing my final project in my composition class on the history of wargaming and tabletop miniatures. Painting miniatures is potentially my biggest hobby, and it seemed like an excellent topic for a paper. I need to do a 12-minute elevator pitch of my paper next Friday, and the paper itself must be 2,500 words and is due at the end of the semester (May 5th).

The issue is, I'm having difficulty finding sources that I can cite. I'd go hunting for books, but I don't have a whole ton of time to wait for shipping. So, I've come to you folks. If there are any sources that you are aware of that will help me in my journey, please post them here. If there are important people I could potentially email and ask questions of, that would be cool, too. I already have some info with W. Britain beginning production of hollow lead toy soldiers and the publication of H.G. Welles' "Little Wars". I'd like to know more about when and how painting miniatures for wargames became a hobby of its own, major changes in the miniature manufacturing industry, key players, where we are today, etc.
    • By Chaoswolf
      Dylan Blackzorn looked around at the engine room with an annoyed expression on his face. The raiders had caused a hell of a mess in there. A fair amount of damage, too from the looks of things. He signaled for the others with him to follow his lead; they needed to be sure there weren't any surprises waiting for them before they got to work bringing the various systems back online.

He flexed his fingers inside the energy glove on his left hand. In addition to being a great asset in the hand to hand combat they'd had to engage in with the raiders, it was also a powerful tool. With it, he'd be able to engage with the ship's engineering computer and ascertain what repairs were going to be necessary, as well as to dramatically shorten the time those repairs would take.

Time to get to it, he thought. The sooner they were out of this sector, the better.

He really does have a face, and it looks pretty decent in person....sigh.
      I'll have to go back and try to make it stand out a little more.
    • By Chaoswolf
      I finished this guy last night. I gave him some tattoos; on one hand, I'm (relatively) happy with my attempt at freehand, on the other, I'm really not that great at 2-d art. I'm pretty happy about getting his eyes to look ok, though.

Please let me know what you think.

• By Chaoswolf
      I finished this guy Friday night, he was a rescue from the melt table at last Reapercon. He was relatively quick to paint, and pretty fun, too. Some of the shading I did on his 'belly' scales is hard to see due to the angle of the pics, but what you see on his bottom half is also present on his chest area, too. I got his eyes looking pretty good (although to be fair, they are a bit bigger than the average human sized figures eyes). I had thought about giving him some patterns on his scales, but decided against it.

The base was one of the first ones I've done using base stamps; I'm not entirely happy with it, but it's not awful, either. More practice both with the stamps, and with what material I use for the base is in order. This one was straight Green Stuff.

Thanks for looking, please let me know what you think.

ETA----I put 2 SKU numbers in the title because he is available either by himself (14423) or in a multi-pack with 9 total figures (06155).
    • By OneBoot
      For those of you unfamiliar with The Great Kaladrax Painting Challenge, initiated by buglips*the*goblin, here's a link to his thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip

Feel free to boggle at the insanity of it for a bit, I'll wait.
      All done? Okay, so, being not entirely sane myself, I've decided to give it a go. I will be following the same rules buglips followed in his challenge, namely:

1) No using a brush larger than a standard Size 0 (no getting around it by using, say, a size 0 brush meant for house painting, for example)
      2) I will work on Kaladrax for no more than 168 consecutive hours (7 full days)
      3) The only prep time allowed before the timer starts is boiling and cleaning to remove casting residue. Removing (or not) mold lines is part of the challenge!
      4) When I begin, I will post a picture of Kaladrax with my phone displaying the date and time (I don't get the newspaper)

...That's it, really. Pretty simple. I will endeavor to make semi-regular updates, but when I get deep into PaintingLand, I can lose track of time. I will, however, be very good about taking awful WIP pictures as I go, then at least doing a batch picture post each day. I've timed this so Mr. Boot is gone at a work conference about half of the 7 days, so I will have a little more free time than usual.

So! Feel free to come along for the ride. I can't promise to be on here super often (or maybe I will be, who knows), but I can promise that the trip will at least be entertaining.

If you'd rather just skip to the end, here's my official completion post with pictures: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68762-oneboot-is-crazy-too-kaladrax-in-7-days-wip/&do=findComment&comment=1371410
      Final show-off pictures: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69015-kaladrax-reborn-in-7-days-by-oneboot/

Note: Unless otherwise specified, all of the paints used are Reaper brand paints.

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
  • Who's Online   26 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)