1 minute ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Correct.

Isn't that a bit deceptive...?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rfusca said:

Am I understanding right, they're labeled kolinsky but are not kolinsky?

Since the outside of the LPTKs only state that two paintbrushes are included and not what kind they are then I would say no, its not deceptive. Ladystorm gave a perfectly reasonable explanation of why the brushes are packaged the way they are.

As far as brush quality, Reaper does not produce their own brushes so they can't really control the quality. I have had bad brushes from just about all the major manufacturers at one time or another (DaVinci, Winsor Newton, Raphael and Rosemary). For a while there you could not pay me to buy a Winsor Newton brush they had gotten so bad. Sometimes you just get a bad batch of brushes.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Heisler said:

Since the outside of the LPTKs only state that two paintbrushes are included and not what kind they are then I would say no, its not deceptive. Ladystorm gave a perfectly reasonable explanation of why the brushes are packaged the way they are.

She gave a reasonable explanation from a manufacturing aspect, absolutely.  To a consumer though, how would they know that they're not kolinsky?  When I got the LTPK this was my thought process: "1. Awesome it includes brushes. 2. Oh look, they're kolinsky! 3. Wow, these suck. 4. Really glad I have other brushes. "   Up till now, I've spend all these time thinking the reaper kolinsky brushes were terrible.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rfusca said:

She gave a reasonable explanation from a manufacturing aspect, absolutely.  To a consumer though, how would they know that they're not kolinsky?  When I got the LTPK this was my thought process: "1. Awesome it includes brushes. 2. Oh look, they're kolinsky! 3. Wow, these suck. 4. Really glad I have other brushes. "   Up till now, I've spend all these time thinking the reaper kolinsky brushes were terrible.

Good question. I don't remember which brushes came in those kits quite frankly so I can't check. Most brushes that are kolinsky sable are identified that way on the handle. I don't know if the ones that Reaper sells are marked that way or not. Nor would a newbie really know to look at the handles to confirm the brush type. Still they didn't say they sold you kolinsky brushes and like a couple people have said Reaper will replace bad order items, again not that someone not familiar with Reaper would know that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rfusca said:

Am I understanding right, they're labeled kolinsky but are not kolinsky?

No, the brushes are not labeled Kolinsky.

The printing on the brushes and information in the booklet enclosed do not say Kolinsky.

The blank backer card used in the set might but that is not a label on a brush. We regularly use blank cards for odd items such as these kits.

We have never stated we include Kolinsky in any of our kits. If we did, the retail price would be about 30 dollars higher and they would be labeled as such.

Sorry that you feel misled.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, ladystorm said:

No, the brushes are not labeled Kolinsky.

The printing on the brushes and information in the booklet enclosed do not say Kolinsky.

The blank backer card used in the set might but that is not a label on a brush. We regularly use blank cards for odd items such as these kits.

We have never stated we include Kolinsky in any of our kits. If we did, the retail price would be about 30 dollars higher and they would be labeled as such.

Sorry that you feel misled.

I'm not upset, no worries. But differentiating between the backing card and the handle isn't something most people would know to do.

• Like 2

As a side note, just because a brush says "Kolinsky Sable" on it doesn't mean that it's a good brush.  Winsor & Newton used to have 3 grades/lines of "Kolinsky Sable" brushes: Cirrus, Watercolour, and Series 7.  The Cirrus brush that I tried was terrible: couldn't hold a point and had a very mushy, soft feel.  

That said, I won't buy a Series 7 anymore:  I've had terrible lucky with trying to get one that won't split under moderate load.  I've never had a problem with DaVinci Maestro, and I've bought scores of them (I used to give them out as part of the class fee for my Beginning Painter's Toolkit class at GenCon).

Ron

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, vutpakdi said:

As a side note, just because a brush says "Kolinsky Sable" on it doesn't mean that it's a good brush.  Winsor & Newton used to have 3 grades/lines of "Kolinsky Sable" brushes: Cirrus, Watercolour, and Series 7.  The Cirrus brush that I tried was terrible: couldn't hold a point and had a very mushy, soft feel.  

That said, I won't buy a Series 7 anymore:  I've had terrible lucky with trying to get one that won't split under moderate load.  I've never had a problem with DaVinci Maestro, and I've bought scores of them (I used to give them out as part of the class fee for my Beginning Painter's Toolkit class at GenCon).

Ron

I didn't care for my WN7 either. It also splits right away. 

Yeah, I remember the "bad batch" days of WN7. I use Raphael 8404's. Actually, I mostly use cheap natural hair brushes for most of my painting, sometimes even basecoats. Best way to preserve the hobby brush! ::D:

I like the one W&N Series 7 that I have. No issues so far. I tend to save it for fine detailing though - it is a size 0. Kinda thinking I should pick up some more of theirs. The Raphael 1 I got is as large as the Rosemary 2, and it is a much softer brush. It also is in a way *too* pointy, as it goes to 2-3 hairs at the tip, which then have paint dry on them. The brush will be wet but with a clog at the tip effectively. Still need to give the Da Vinci brushes a go. DicBlick was out of stock on a ton of brushes though, so it will have to wait. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I like the one W&N Series 7 that I have. No issues so far. I tend to save it for fine detailing though - it is a size 0. Kinda thinking I should pick up some more of theirs. The Raphael 1 I got is as large as the Rosemary 2, and it is a much softer brush. It also is in a way *too* pointy, as it goes to 2-3 hairs at the tip, which then have paint dry on them. The brush will be wet but with a clog at the tip effectively. Still need to give the Da Vinci brushes a go. DicBlick was out of stock on a ton of brushes though, so it will have to wait. 

The Raphael you have is an 8404 #1?  My experience with a Raphael 8404 #0 is that it has been one of my best brushes and does not have the issue with too few hairs at the tip.  I have a 3/0 in the same series which also works well.  I bought them many years ago, so I can only hope they are still made in a similar way now.

This is one of the things that drives people crazy with brushes.  If you've never seen them before, you don't know what's normal for that series.  Is a "too pointy" brush that way due to a manufacturing mistake or is that the way they are made?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

I had the same with a brush and just clipped that hair. 

2 hours ago, Serenity said:

The Raphael you have is an 8404 #1?  My experience with a Raphael 8404 #0 is that it has been one of my best brushes and does not have the issue with too few hairs at the tip.  I have a 3/0 in the same series which also works well.  I bought them many years ago, so I can only hope they are still made in a similar way now.

This is one of the things that drives people crazy with brushes.  If you've never seen them before, you don't know what's normal for that series.  Is a "too pointy" brush that way due to a manufacturing mistake or is that the way they are made?

It is an 8404. I probably just need to clip the tiny hairs - they aren't terrible, just annoying and I don't want to overclip them. Overall it seems like a good brush, and after clipping, I just have to get used to the softness. Was surprised by the size of the #1 though. Bigger difference in their sizing scale than W&N to Rosemary it seems. Not a big deal, just something I noticed. When DicBlick has stock again, I will probably snag a few of different brands. My Rosemary ones are doing well, except for the #1. The #0 and #2 are awesome. The #1 kinda likes to split. I have it drenched in some masterson conditioner soap right now in hopes of taming it. 

• Like 2