How long should a Kolinsky Sable brush last? I have one I've been using the Masters conditioner on, but it already won't hold a point after 2 months...I only use it for the detail work. It's one of Reapers size 2 brushes. (additionally, I bought a size 1 from reaper a while back which never held a point...is that normal?)

Reaper's Kolinsky sables recently... and I'm loathe to say it, have not been as good as I have been accustomed to.  I'm not sure if quality control at the factory (external to Reaper) has slipped or what, but I have used Reaper's 5/0 brushes as a staple for quite a few years and this year has been extremely frustrating. 

I try very hard not to speak badly of anything Reaper sells, but since you asked - no, it's not normal.  I've had the same issues, and I had 2 brushes that didn't even make it through a day.  I found myself compelled to try Rosemary & Company brushes instead, and those have been consistently great. 

Wherever possible I like to promote and support Reaper, but in this specific case I cannot - at least for the moment - recommend their Kolinsky brushes.   

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry to hear this. They've always been my favorite brushes, and I have a couple that I bought around 7 or 8 years ago that I still use. 

I actually just bought 3 Reaper Kolinsky's at Reaper con and they're still holding up perfectly. I rather like them. Maybe that was a bad batch? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MissMelons said:

I actually just bought 3 Reaper Kolinsky's at Reaper con and they're still holding up perfectly. I rather like them. Maybe that was a bad batch? 

Possibly, but it was enough of them to make me find a new source and I only recommend things I'm sure about.  As I can no longer be sure about these sables, at least for the moment, then I have to take them off my list so I don't lead people to have a poor experience.

But if your results vary from mine and are consistently good then you should use your own experience if you give a recommendation.  I'm just being cautious as a result of my unfortunate recent experience.  

Hopefully it was just a temporary thing, because I did find them quite handy for a long time.

• Like 2

I reported a bad brush to Reaper once a long time ago.  They replaced it without any questions.  If any of my currently in-storage Reaper brushes give me bad service someday, I'll do the same.  I hope the bad brushes you guys are seeing are not a common problem.

Please contact Reaper and tell them about your troubles.  It is one way to be sure they know they have an issue to deal with.  I'm not sure you can count on them reading this thread.

• Like 1

My reaper brushes in the LTPK were absolutely junk. They frayed right away. I ended up ordering rosemary and Co and love them. Theyre re on my "save from a fire" list. 

8 minutes ago, rfusca said:

My reaper brushes in the LTPK were absolutely junk. They frayed right away. I ended up ordering rosemary and Co and love them. Theyre re on my "save from a fire" list. 

Are the ones in the LTPK kolinsky?

• Like 1

Not sure about the current kits, but the LTPK didn't used to have the sable brushes in them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was my fist set of brushes and it's probably not reapers best idea to package crappy brushes. All it did was make me doubt whether reaper could make a decent brush. 

Edited by rfusca
  • Like 3

HA HA! This thread just made me go check the brushes that came in my "Layer Up!" LTPK. The package is printed with Kolinsky sable on it but the brushes are Pro brushes. Never noticed that before. I have two full sets of Reaper Kolinsky brushes that were purchased from an online seller nearly a decade ago. In my experience the quality is totally hit or miss. All my brushes are taken care of extremely well. I also have Winsor & Newton series 7 and Da Vinci and have no problems with those. I will recommend anything from Reaper with the exception of their brushes.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Are the ones in the LTPK kolinsky?

No. Neither LTPK includes Sable Brushes.

Yes, the card we blister to them might say Kolinsky but since we have only two cards and two kits, each kit gets brushes on a different card.   If we didn't do it this way, we'd be spending all our time printing cards for the kits.  One card is rainbow, one is red.  It helps the team put the correct set of brushes in the correct kit. And when we didn't blister them, we had more QC issues.

• Like 2