Dr.Bedlam

The Dark Age Of Super Heroes

15 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

Young Justice did get renewed, at least. Season 3 is set to air late this year. Probably as a direct result of all the negative press as seen above.

Goddess be kind, I hope they don't turn it into a steaming pile of broccoli.

Looks hopeful!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/young-justice-creators-talk-about-bringing-back-the-dc-1797233470

• Like 2

And now I want Stardust The Super Wizard HeroClix.

Full dial, NO KO slots, and only two powers: "Flight" and "Whatever the plot requires."

I should probably point out that with the addition of media and merch aimed specifically at female type fangeek personnel, it has been shown that they will watch the shows and buy the merch, if you make a point of tailoring it to THEM in addition to male fanboys.

This has been the source of no little griping about feminism and diversity by them what wears beards on their necks and are known for dwelling in rooms below them what actually pays the mortgage.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

And now I want Stardust The Super Wizard HeroClix.

Full dial, NO KO slots, and only two powers: "Flight" and "Whatever the plot requires."

I should probably point out that with the addition of media and merch aimed specifically at female type fangeek personnel, it has been shown that they will watch the shows and buy the merch, if you make a point of tailoring it to THEM in addition to male fanboys.

This has been the source of no little griping about feminism and diversity by them what wears beards on their necks and are known for dwelling in rooms below them what actually pays the mortgage.

Megan owns more superhero action figures than I do by a margin of about ten to none.

And used to have the Star Trek Barbie doll.

2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Weisman! YES!

Which explains why I got this as a text a few hours ago.... ::P:

When I got it I was going 'Star Trek? FASA? Gargoyles?' - all different Weismans (The three Weismen?)

And it is the same Weisman as Gargoyles, so I was not entirely wrong... ::P:

Jen is a huge fan of Weisman, and has a poster from the last Gathering of the Gargoyles on her wall - signed by the cast of Star Trek: the Next Generation.

Looking at the article... Weisman had not thrown away any of the prep work that they had done for Season 3 of Young Justice, not a surprise, given how responsive he remains to fans of the old Gargoyles cartoon.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

From what I understand, Weisman is perpetually irked that he works hard to come up with good ideas and scripts for animated series, only to be blown off because to them what pays the bills, they're just loss leaders for toy advertising and merch in general.

And then his shows get cancelled and the fans riot because they LIKED those shows, durnit. My daughter was a HUGE Gargoyles fan, and buys DC Bombshells merch whenever she can find it...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

The loss of the Young Justice animated series makes me want to weep.

And the horrible Teen Titans that was made in its place makes me want to scream in rage.

Young Justice had strong characters, good stories, and continuity.

Teen Titans doesn't even have continuity across a single episode.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/paul-dini-superhero-cartoon-execs-dont-want-largely-f-1483758317

Deep breaths. Calming thoughts. Not to hulk out.

... Grr.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

The loss of the Young Justice animated series makes me want to weep.

And the horrible Teen Titans that was made in its place makes me want to scream in rage.

Certainly you mean Teen Titans GO! and not Teen Titans. Certainly. Teen Titans aired back in 2003, ran for 5 seasons, and was full of plot and continuity. Heck, it spent about 2 seasons having Robin being taunted by Deathstroke(until they killed him), and they even did a somewhat sanitized version of The Judas Contract.

Teen Titans GO! took the cast and characters and turned them into a joke. Then they made this episode when the fans of the old show cried out for more of the old stuff. It's kind of a slap...

And yes, Young Justice was also great. Part if the reason it's getting a Season 3 is because when it hit Netflix a while back it was rating extremely well. I actually hadn't seen it prior to that, and had a friend yell at me to watch it because the creators were hoping to get numbers from Netflix to use to justify more episodes. It was very good.

I still want my original Titans back, though. And I want Batman: Beyond back as well. And Justice League. Heck, let's just say I want it all back...

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I still want my original Titans back, though. And I want Batman: Beyond back as well.

Batman Beyond would be great. It's really nice when someone other than Bruce wears the mask and isn't insane. That's right I'm talking about Jean-Paul Valley.

I will admit I did like the suit, even though it looks like the 90's threw up on it.

• Like 1

I never really got into Young Justice, I think it was because it focused on Miss Martian a lot and I just didn't like her.

I'd have much preferred Green Lantern:TAS or Beware the Batman to get renewed (even if BtBs Katana costume is the laziest, stupidest one ever).

17 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

One thing that is interesting is that, in 2012, action figures and roleplaying toys accounted for $1.39B in sales, while dolls, which are typically aimed at girls, accounted for $2.69B in sales.

This kills me. These people are just stupid. Granted, that article is 5 years old now, but so many of them are stuck in that way of thinking. The D.C. Super Hero Girls line is crushing this though. They have dolls and action figures. And girls love both. 

I wish the cartoon that went with the toys was better though. They insist on having all the villains turn into heros :rolleyes:

On 1/8/2018 at 5:02 AM, redambrosia said:

This kills me. These people are just stupid. Granted, that article is 5 years old now, but so many of them are stuck in that way of thinking. The D.C. Super Hero Girls line is crushing this though. They have dolls and action figures. And girls love both. 

I wish the cartoon that went with the toys was better though. They insist on having all the villains turn into heros :rolleyes:

I have been reading comic books for half a century, Marvel and DC comics since I was seven.

In junior high I started reading the original run of “Elfquest”, and although I saw it had problems, I was fascinated with the idea of an independent, woman-created comic with astonishingly strong women characters, for the time and for the comics.

Somewhere about the time of the original runs of “New Mutants” and “I, Vampire” (high school for me),  I recall the comics industry started publicly wringing its hands about not having enough female readers. But it didn’t really seem to understand why, and its attempted solutions were cack-handed, male-led, and often insulting in their presumptions.

I saw abortive attempts to re-introduce romance comics, Barbie comics, pink comics. I still remember a truly insulting women-pirates-in-space comic which included a pin-up on every page that was sold as something “for the girls” because the otherwise all-male publishing team hired “a girl” to write the dialogue for them.

In college I lucked into a comics shop run by a deadly serious art school graduate and my tastes expanded to alternative and offbeat comics (althought I still passed on issue #1 of “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” because I thought it was stupid). “Grimjack” and Alan Moore and, gods help us, “The Badger” could not write multidimensional female characters to save their lives, but their stories were interesting and different reading.

It was always the writing I was interested in.

Then issue #1 of “The Sandman” came out and I was hooked on Neil Gaiman’s beautifully written vision of a dark, intelligent, sophisticated, complex world of all kinds of entities, not all of whom were dudes.

The industry misunderstood its success, of course, and tried to emulate it with a million dark, dark, dark supernatural titles. Demons and hopelessness and sex and blood and stuff. Eh.

Post college were the Leifeld years, but by then I had given up completely on mainstream and superhero comics. I read manga, initially hard to come by and only in Japanese, later even in mainstream bookstores and translated. I kept up with “The Sandman”. I read “Usagi Yojimbo” and “Akiko” and “Bone” and “Girl Genius” and all sorts of quirky independent comics.

There is a very nice comics shop in my neighborhood now. Thanks to the Marvel movies and the Marvel and DC TV shows, every once in a while I cast an eye over the superhero titles again.

Then I see an issue of “Wonder Woman” where she’s all smoochy and giggly and slobbery over Superman and I think, eh, and go pick up a copy of “Lumberjanes” instead.

Edited by Pingo
Title correction
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Unruly said:

Certainly you mean Teen Titans GO! and not Teen Titans. Certainly. Teen Titans aired back in 2003, ran for 5 seasons, and was full of plot and continuity. Heck, it spent about 2 seasons having Robin being taunted by Deathstroke(until they killed him), and they even did a somewhat sanitized version of The Judas Contract.

Teen Titans GO! took the cast and characters and turned them into a joke. Then they made this episode when the fans of the old show cried out for more of the old stuff. It's kind of a slap...

And yes, Young Justice was also great. Part if the reason it's getting a Season 3 is because when it hit Netflix a while back it was rating extremely well. I actually hadn't seen it prior to that, and had a friend yell at me to watch it because the creators were hoping to get numbers from Netflix to use to justify more episodes. It was very good.

I still want my original Titans back, though. And I want Batman: Beyond back as well. And Justice League. Heck, let's just say I want it all back...

Pretty sure that Teen Titans Go! is in fact the one that sends her screaming...

For her sake, I wish it were Teen Titans Gone!

Gods above and below, after seeing the video you linked to, I want to get a Whiffle Bat and go visit the creators....

*EDIT* Good lord, what have they done to Raven?! :angry:

The Auld Grump - right up there with the WotC commercial where a dragon poops on the fans of the older 3.X D&D.....

On 1/7/2018 at 6:06 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

From what I understand, Weisman is perpetually irked that he works hard to come up with good ideas and scripts for animated series, only to be blown off because to them what pays the bills, they're just loss leaders for toy advertising and merch in general.

And then his shows get cancelled and the fans riot because they LIKED those shows, durnit. My daughter was a HUGE Gargoyles fan, and buys DC Bombshells merch whenever she can find it...

Something I have noticed about Greg Weisman is how accessible he is to the fans, and not just those that belong to the target audience - heck, he posted to the adult Gargoyles fan site. (Yes, there is (or was) adult Gargoyles fan fiction, and he approved the site! (Hey, it was gonna happen anyway....)) 

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2

Well, Weisman likes fans, and he has more respect for what he's doing than some people I could imagine; there's folks writing cartoons that regard what they do as the air conditioned equivalent of bucking cases of Coca Cola off the truck and loading the vending machines.

That being said, I did not much care for Teen Titans Go! It seemed to me to be a rather blatant attempt to pander to the anime crowd. I am told there were some fine episodes, but I didn't stick around that long. My daughter, on the other hand, loved the show; she was the one what told me about the fine episodes...

• Like 1

Heh - my favorite episode of Batman: the Animated Series - The Gray Ghost:

Megan's is Zatanna:

So, mine is about an aging adventurer, while hers is about an attractive young magician.... I can see no way that could possibly have any bearing on our self images! :lol:

The Auld Grump - both are good episodes. ::):

20 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Well, Weisman likes fans, and he has more respect for what he's doing than some people I could imagine; there's folks writing cartoons that regard what they do as the air conditioned equivalent of bucking cases of Coca Cola off the truck and loading the vending machines.

That being said, I did not much care for Teen Titans Go! It seemed to me to be a rather blatant attempt to pander to the anime crowd. I am told there were some fine episodes, but I didn't stick around that long. My daughter, on the other hand, loved the show; she was the one what told me about the fine episodes...

The total of what I have seen of Teen Titans Go is the video linked above... After that, it is not likely to change....

Heck, the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon was better.... ::P:

The Auld Grump

• Like 1