Sign in to follow this  
bojesphob

Neathyrmaul and Obsidian Crypt - thoughts?

So, this has been a project that I had been trying to get myself to start since I saw Glitterwolf's Kaladrax on the Obsidian Crypt. I finally got some extra money during the Christmas season, and along with the Christmas themed paints and some paint carrying cases, I got the Obsidian Crypt to see if I could move Neathyrmaul to it. I got the Crypt assembled, and was also able to start trying to see what I could do to get Neathy on it. Anyhow, that brings up a question, which I will address after the first pic. This is what he looks like on the unpainted Crypt, unattached:

Crypt1.jpg

Now,  I think this will work out REALLY well, except one small detail.... The back left foot...

Crypt2.jpg

Now, I could probably get away with just saying it's moving around on the crypt and just lifting it's leg up, but would that bother anyone if you saw that as is? I'm not entirely sure if I like it or not, and I can always reattach Neathy to the base, but I really like the look of him in the first pic on it. What do you all think?

• Like 8

I guess some of it depends on what you want to do with the finished product. Is this going to be used for gaming, are you going to physically attach (glue/pin/etc.) Nethy to the Crypt or just leave him there so both are still usable in their own right? 

All that said, I certainly think that regardless of what you do, your explanation makes sense. Its an action shot in miniature form. He's not so much perched on the crypt as he was perched on the crypt and is now getting ready to take off, or is simply adjusting his position/moving along the roof, etc. So really, I wouldn't be bothered by it as it just comes down to the story you want to tell. You could even get really crazy and add some leaves, etc. to the scene only to show the area around Nethy being cleared of leaves as a result of him getting ready to take flight, etc.

• Like 1

I like the look of Nethy on the Crypt as is, but if keeps bugging you you could mod the crypt to have some sort of broken superstructure like maybe a bell tower, under Nethy's back legs broken of almost flush with the existing roof on one side and having the raised leg be perching on the high side or corner. Depending on how big you were planning on the base to be you could have the rest of the tower on the ground next to the crypt.

• Like 2

When I started my project, I actually tried Nethy on too.

In the end I found Kaladrax had a more natural fit.

But I had the privilege of being able to choose, I also have a metal Necrodrake from Rafm for example..

I do like seeing Nethy on it, you're explanation of lifting a leg is valid.

So if you want her on the crypt you should do it!

I think you can get her to fit all the way on, but then you would need to make a few alterations.

As far as I remember, you would need to cut off some of those spikes on the roof, you could make it look like she damaged those.

Also, the tail would need a bit of repositioning.

Take a good look what you want to achieve and think about the possibilities.

You can have fun with this!

I did..

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

When I started my project, I actually tried Nethy on too.

In the end I found Kaladrax had a more natural fit.

But I had the privilege of being able to choose, I also have a metal Necrodrake from Rafm for example..

I do like seeing Nethy on it, you're explanation of lifting a leg is valid.

So if you want her on the crypt you should do it!

I think you can get her to fit all the way on, but then you would need to make a few alterations.

As far as I remember, you would need to cut off some of those spikes on the roof, you could make it look like she damaged those.

Also, the tail would need a bit of repositioning.

Take a good look what you want to achieve and think about the possibilities.

You can have fun with this!

I did..

Well, that whole Kaladrax thread you posted was my inspiration :) I do have Kaladrax, but I really like the way the base turned out that it was on with the paint job, so I don't know if I could tear that up... That said, I won't mind modifying the crypt to let Neathy sit on it a bit better, but I don't want to mess up the paint job that I already did on Neathy itself, so i won't be doing a lot of modification of the dragon.

@Gargs: This is just going to be a display piece, to be honest. I don't game with minis, really, just love the hobby of painting stuff! I will probably even paint the inside of the Crypt and put either the alter or tomb mini from Bones I on the inside :)

So, either:

77139_w_1.jpg

or

77137_w_1.jpg

• Like 3

I'm in the same boat, only paint for fun and display.

You can get away with anything that way..no rules..

Ok, been a while since I've been able to do anything remotely painting related, until this past weekend. Daughter wanted to help, so i had her set up with some water colors and a big piece of paper next to me LOL. Anyhow, decided to do a darker granite/marble look. Went with black with a blue that I can't remember the name of at the moment from the Reaper line (darker blue... just can't think of it ATM). Then mixed in some Frost Blue then some white at the end to work my way up. I don't quite have the control down for really smooth lines for the cracks and such, but I'm pretty happy with how it worked out :) Also threw in some gold to make it look like gold flecks in the stone (my parents have granite countertops that are black with the gold flecks and I like the look LOL). The rest of the crypt will be like this for the stone, then a bronze/aged bronze metal roofing with the turquoise-ish patina.

cryptbase.jpg

• Like 17

Quick question for anyone who might be able to answer:

How would I get a super glossy look to the stone? I want it to look like it's been polished heavily (except for the edges, which I'll keep matte for wearing). I don't want to do a spray, is there a brush on gloss that would give me something better than GWs gloss coat (not a big fan of that). Also, would I have to give it multiple layers to give it a really good shine?

I guess I could maybe use water effects? I do have a container of that... thoughts?

Edited by bojesphob
  • Like 1

Gloss varnish will make it look glossy, for sure.  However, you will not be able to see most of your detail work because the reflection of natural light from the varnish will make the details underneath hard to see. 

You could fake a smooth polish by painting each tile like its a reflective surface (extreme dark to bright highlighting, with very narrow highlights, going right up to pure white pinpoint dots).  Attempting that at this stage may make your previous hard work look messy or chalky and I wouldn't recommend it. 

Another option is to put really small white highlights on the edges of the cracks and the edges of the stones, then give it an overall satin varnish as a finish.  It will be a little bit reflective without actually becoming a mirror, which will be accentuated by the white highlights.  This might work particularly well if you give the surface a thin coat of gloss varnish first, followed by a thin coat of satin varnish.

Water effects does look very shiny once it hardens, but it's very hard to get it to go on smoothly in a thin coat.  It's meant to simulate a rippled water surface so it tends to hold those kinds of marks (like brush marks, for example). 

Hope this helps you out.

• Like 4

There are also Satin varnishes, as opposed to Gloss or Matte. 

• Like 2

Cyradis: would that give it a polished stone look? Not really sure what way I want to go with it, just trying to figure it out before I finish it off.

I'll have some more pics hopefully this weekend. I have the metal roofing on the crypt done (went with an aged bronze as a base, then a GW technical that's made for patina on copper/bronze). Once that's done, then I will do the granite/marble look on the crypt itself.

2 hours ago, bojesphob said:

Cyradis: would that give it a polished stone look? Not really sure what way I want to go with it, just trying to figure it out before I finish it off.

Not sure that it would make it glossy if you look at my UTF force I have finished these with a satin varnish brushed on check out the shiny cockpits are these glossy enough?

2 hours ago, Doublesix66 said:

Not sure that it would make it glossy if you look at my UTF force I have finished these with a satin varnish brushed on check out the shiny cockpits are these glossy enough?

Maybe.... I may try the gloss coat on a few tiles and see if it gives me the effect I want. If not, I can always go back over the gloss with satin. I've always had a hard time visualizing effects like that on stuff, so sometimes i just have to try it out to see if I like it LOL Thanks for the reference with those minis, though, it does give me more to think about with it.

On 3/5/2018 at 9:54 AM, bojesphob said:

Ok, been a while since I've been able to do anything remotely painting related, until this past weekend. Daughter wanted to help, so i had her set up with some water colors and a big piece of paper next to me LOL. Anyhow, decided to do a darker granite/marble look. Went with black with a blue that I can't remember the name of at the moment from the Reaper line (darker blue... just can't think of it ATM). Then mixed in some Frost Blue then some white at the end to work my way up. I don't quite have the control down for really smooth lines for the cracks and such, but I'm pretty happy with how it worked out :) Also threw in some gold to make it look like gold flecks in the stone (my parents have granite countertops that are black with the gold flecks and I like the look LOL). The rest of the crypt will be like this for the stone, then a bronze/aged bronze metal roofing with the turquoise-ish patina.

Wow.  I can't help but think that if I had several of these, I could probably do the better part of a nifty plastic floor-tile dungeon.  :)  It would probably be easier to store (and require less maintenance/repair) than my Hirst Arts Castlemolds floor tiles.

On 1/3/2018 at 4:28 PM, bojesphob said:

So, this has been a project that I had been trying to get myself to start since I saw Glitterwolf's Kaladrax on the Obsidian Crypt. I finally got some extra money during the Christmas season, and along with the Christmas themed paints and some paint carrying cases, I got the Obsidian Crypt to see if I could move Neathyrmaul to it. I got the Crypt assembled, and was also able to start trying to see what I could do to get Neathy on it. Anyhow, that brings up a question, which I will address after the first pic. This is what he looks like on the unpainted Crypt, unattached:

Now,  I think this will work out REALLY well, except one small detail.... The back left foot...

Now, I could probably get away with just saying it's moving around on the crypt and just lifting it's leg up, but would that bother anyone if you saw that as is? I'm not entirely sure if I like it or not, and I can always reattach Neathy to the base, but I really like the look of him in the first pic on it. What do you all think?

To address the "raised foot" issue: Perhaps there could be something fallen on the roof that he's positioning his leg on?  Perhaps it could be the corpse of some other monster he's just defeated, carried up atop this rooftop for a snack, and he's already chowed down on it some.  (Maybe this would be a good chance to use some "bitz" and just make some sort of bony rib cage, a hint of a spine, some random bony bits and gore, and whatever it was, he's eaten enough of it that it's no longer quite recognizable.)  The fact that his own rib cage is rather airy and anything he devours by all rights should pop right back out again is probably of no great consequence because he's a ZOMBIE dragon, so he'll just keep trying anyway.  Zombie dragon gonna zomb.  Or something like that.

I made the beginnings of the crypt stone a bit more subdued (it's the very center part, the two spots on either side that look lighter are about halfway completed). I still need to do a little drybrush on that section to catch the edges of the stone, but that's the look most of the outside will have. The rougher stone will be drybrushed a bit more to make it seem like it wasn't polished like the smooth sections. The roof I'm pretty much done with, and i like how that turned out.

CryptIP.jpg

CryptIP2.jpg

• Like 4