Sign in to follow this  
sappet102

Thrift Store SCORES!!!!!

I always visit thrift stores for the odd treasure.

I've found expensive board games and minis at bargain prices. But they're the exception rather than the rule.

• Like 4

::o:

Oh.

My.

... I think you just won the RPGer Life Lottery.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bastard!  You officially suck now.    :devil:::D::down:

But seriously, if I didn't already have all that stuff, I'd probably have to hate you...  ::P:

That Expert set is about a $30 find even without the dice and paper inserts, and the modules go for at least $10-14 each on eBay - and the rare orange-covered tournament version of X1 is about double that.

Major, major score.

• Like 8

In addition, that copy of Final Fantasy 7 is selling for about thirty bucks at a used game place near here.

I already have a copy of Civ, with the expansion. But if I did not, I would be cursing your name back to the tenth generation. Truly an excellent find at prices that are not to be believed.

• Like 5

They sold it so cheaply in the hope that you would also pick up the ICO game...  

(It's classed as toxic waste because it is the most boring and frustrating game ever made. At least Myst looked good... )

Not purple because ICO really IS that awful. 

(Yes, critics raved about it... They were either drunk, paid to write it, had a full walkthrough handed to them, or yeah, wearing a long-sleeved jacket with buttons on the back... )

The rest of the stuff... Man, I wish there were finds like that in any store near me... 

(I once found a 4000piece jigsaw puzzle and a Snorri Sturlasson book, but that's really it.)

• Like 3

Hmmm first negative thing I have heard about ico... maybe I'll put that one aside and play the other stuff first ha. I also forgot about my munchkin game, I added that to the first post.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Bastard!  You officially suck now.    :devil:::D::down:

But seriously, if I didn't already have all that stuff, I'd probably have to hate you...  ::P:

That Expert set is about a $30 find even without the dice and paper inserts, and the modules go for at least $10-14 each on eBay - and the rare orange-covered tournament version of X1 is about double that.

Major, major score.

Eerrm....That orange X1 is neither rare nor a tournament version. It is the standard version of X1 that came with the Mentzer expert box set.

6 hours ago, sappet102 said:

I scored these items at the local thrift stores recently! The D&D box set was not only complete with the two books it was supposed to come with, but someone had also shoved in 4 additional modules, I picked the whole thing up for $2

Earlier today i found a bunch of boxes of D&D Chainmail miniature sets! Each box is complete with all the metal minis, cards, maps, et-cetera, and also, someone put extra minis in these boxes too! I got each box for $1

I got Civilization Board Game 100% complete in box for $1

And all these awesome retro video games ranging from $1 to $5 each! All complete! So I only paid $5 for super smash, $1 for ffvii, et-cetera.

I also got a complete munchkin deluxe board/card game for $1.

DD.jpg

Chain mail minis!! :wub: I have an unreasonable love for them...

• Like 4

Hell, at those prices, I'd have bought the miniatures just for the metal.

• Like 4

Never had a thrift store score,  but I did win an EBay auction that contained a loft find of old RPG stuff and miniatures, including three 1980s unopened boxed sets, and a bunch of hobgoblin greens in various stages of completion. I recognised the style but couldn’t quite put my finger on where I’d seen them before.

Looking through various note books included in the auction it became obvious that the haul belonged to Nick Lund, the sculptor responsible for early Chronicle Miniatures hobgoblins, kobolds and ogres. I had in my possession some gaming history.

I eventually managed to track Nick down on the internet and we had a brief email exchange. I sent him the haul, paid for the postage...... ended up £80 down and missing some hobby gold.........does honesty pay?

Dear Steve,

Thank you so much for your very kind determination in getting your email to me.

You are right, they do have sentimental value, that box of bits was amongst several things that went missing....... on dark days I can be heard moaning about it. I would indeed love them back.

I will naturally pay the postage. Suggest you let me know what it is and I will drop you a cheque in the post, you can then send on the box. 

Again, many thanks.

All the best

I replied

Hi Steve.

Apologies for taking an age to get back to you, I have only recently resurrected this email address and a combination of ridiculous in and outbox events led me to lose all my contacts temporarily ......all better now..... I hope.

Here is the address.
 *deleted*

It was discovering D&D that got me into making minis, the whole genre, literally took me 'away with the faries'...... I remember making those kobolds,  we made them to have something new for a show in Reading....... luckily it worked and they went well.... I made them at 900mph..... and boy, does that not show !.... especially in this digital camera age and in comparison to what some gifted designers can do today.

Do you still collect minis etc ?.... I am truly grateful and would have pleasure in repaying your kindess a little.

Also, if the postage is horrendous let me know.

Many thanks.
All the best
Nick

• Like 11