I'm painting up this troll, and a buddy suggested a leonine paint scheme, since the tail looks a bit lionish. I was thinking that I might try sculpting some hair on him as a mane. However, I've done very little sculpting, so I was wondering if any one has a good guide on the subject. I'm particularly looking for long scraggly, fur-like hair. 

I don't have a good guide for you, wish I did.  This keeps coming up.  Maybe I'll make a tutorial someday when I am doing something furry.

Basic steps:

1. Place and smooth in putty for the base layer of fur, defining major hair flow areas with deep clefts between them. 

2. Make them smooth.

3. With a well lubed tool, slice in the hair strands into each flow area with strokes from root to tip, following the flow direction.

4. Let cure.

5. Repeat 1-4 for another level of fur on top of the last one, making a layered effect.

6. Repeat as needed.

I'm not sure that makes sense without illustrations, but I have none to give now (I'm currently sculpting reptiles).

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By CoolAliasHere
      So, last night, I had a particularly bad night at work.  As I am trying to be more health concsious, I came home and sat at my desk.  Instead of downing a 1/2 a bottle of bourbon, I opted to spend the next 2 1/2 hours painting this while trying to clear my head.  It worked.  He's not Reaper.  He is an Oni from the Massive Darkness board game.  I drew heavily from World of WarCraft on this one.  For those of you that have played it, I felt the model greatly resembled a Troll.

The paints are all Bones MSP, and some washes from GW.  Overall, for a piece I just wanted to get done, I think he came out pretty well.  I didn't even start him until after midnight, and I wrapped him around 2:45am or 3am.  By that point I was exhausted, and wasn't really concerned with anything but finding my way to bed.

CAH

• By jonaas33
      Painted up this Mountain Troll up over the weekend.  I decided to go with an Ice Troll look, and I think it turned out pretty nice.  I normally paint my main colors and then use a heavy wash to bring out the details, but this time I tried something different for his skin.  I used a light gray base coat over all of the skin areas, then dry brushed two layers of blue on the back/arms, and some bone color on the stomach and chest.  I really like how it turned out, but it made touch ups from the armor pretty tricky.  I also noticed some pretty bad mold lines after I took the pictures, so I need to be more careful before I start painting to those up.  Overall, I really enjoyed painting this fig and look forward to unleashing him on a party of adventurers!  Critiques and advice are always welcome!  Thanks in advance!

• By Gargs
      So here's my latest creation. I tried a different technique this time around by "overbrushing" for the the highlights on the skin and it was . . . ok. I can see it as a great way to speed the process along for a speedier paint job, and might be great for painting armies and units, but it does have its limits when it comes to blending. I'm also not sold on the blending in the armor as it did not blend real smoothly despite my best attempts but its a start at least. As always, any ideas, suggestions, critiques, feedback, etc. are most appreciated!

• By Pochi
      I finished Churrusina. I am mostly happy with her. Not 100% on the spell effect. I painted and repainted it and decided this was the best try so stopped. I have included the purple smoke photo I used for inspiration, I just couldn't quite get there!

Anyway, I think she looks like she could be an interesting NPC for my players to "meet"!

C&C welcome. Thanks for looking!

Pretty purple smoke.

• By Darius Glenwell
      This is my entry into a local Con's painting competition in the single figure category. 

• Who's Online   36 Members, 6 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)