I'm painting up this troll, and a buddy suggested a leonine paint scheme, since the tail looks a bit lionish. I was thinking that I might try sculpting some hair on him as a mane. However, I've done very little sculpting, so I was wondering if any one has a good guide on the subject. I'm particularly looking for long scraggly, fur-like hair. 

I don't have a good guide for you, wish I did.  This keeps coming up.  Maybe I'll make a tutorial someday when I am doing something furry.

Basic steps:

1. Place and smooth in putty for the base layer of fur, defining major hair flow areas with deep clefts between them. 

2. Make them smooth.

3. With a well lubed tool, slice in the hair strands into each flow area with strokes from root to tip, following the flow direction.

4. Let cure.

5. Repeat 1-4 for another level of fur on top of the last one, making a layered effect.

6. Repeat as needed.

I'm not sure that makes sense without illustrations, but I have none to give now (I'm currently sculpting reptiles).

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gargs
      So here's my latest creation. I tried a different technique this time around by "overbrushing" for the the highlights on the skin and it was . . . ok. I can see it as a great way to speed the process along for a speedier paint job, and might be great for painting armies and units, but it does have its limits when it comes to blending. I'm also not sold on the blending in the armor as it did not blend real smoothly despite my best attempts but its a start at least. As always, any ideas, suggestions, critiques, feedback, etc. are most appreciated!

• By Pochi
      I finished Churrusina. I am mostly happy with her. Not 100% on the spell effect. I painted and repainted it and decided this was the best try so stopped. I have included the purple smoke photo I used for inspiration, I just couldn't quite get there!
      Anyway, I think she looks like she could be an interesting NPC for my players to "meet"!
      C&C welcome. Thanks for looking!
      Pretty purple smoke.

• By Darius Glenwell
      This is my entry into a local Con's painting competition in the single figure category. 

• By jonaas33
      I have been painting up a bunch of Reaper trolls in the style of swamp frogs, starting with this one:
      I whipped up a couple others with brighter greens and more vibrant browns, to middling effect.  I think the swamp-dwelling creeps just look a little more natural if they have more murky colors.  This one will do nicely as the Big Bad for my marsh adventure.  Critiques and advice would be most welcome.  Thank you!

• By robinh
      This is the lovely miniature I received from Pineapple for the Summer exchange.   It is a bit late but Pineapple had to start over when parts off the first mini were pilfered and lost.  This is the second one and I must say the wait was well worth it!
      The basing is well done with a scratch built stone wall to frame the Troll Champion.  The skin tones, although unexpected is just perfect for the mini and the touch of Orange I usually request appear in the hair/horns and finger/toe nails!  The combination is perfect!
      Without further preamble here are what you all want to see... The Pictures!

I am adding this to my display cabinet as I post this!
      Thanks Pineapple
  • Who's Online   31 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)