Rat13

Song of Blades and Heroes?

Yep. Easy. 

The warband builder is the best part, since it lets you customize your figures. Just click on the traits and there you go. 

Grab the PDF. IMO, The PDF is better since you can give each player a copy of the rules (and, by rules, I mean NOT the entire rulebook!), as well as copy and paste (print and paste onto index cards) the traits for reference. 

With the Song of Gold and Darkness supplement, you have dungeoncrawl rules, but you'll want  Underground Lair's free Deep Dark Dungeons Crawl rules.

If you have Massive Darkness, I posted stats and encounter tables for a MD dungeoncrawl on BGG : https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1849953/song-gold-and-massive-darkness-md-models-song-gold

Also try out Frostgrave. It's a very different game in that you have a wizard that you "level up" as you play several games. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Also try out Frostgrave.

I've been looking at Frost grave but Song just looked easier to get my group involved with. If they take to it that'll probably be the next step.

I have both.  I get more mileage out of SoBH because of setting "neutrality."  I don't need a bunch of winter-coated minis. 

• Like 2

2A817BDD-C0DE-4AA6-91FA-E09EC6FD314E.thumb.jpeg.40c5c9a73ceed2d2e97ed71a1a7bcdc9.jpeg

I haven’t played SoBaH lately, but it is one of the rules packed with my portable fantasy box for cons.  To support pickup play, I drew up a few war band lists, printed them so that they’d trim to 5x7 and laminated them.  A home laminator, by the way, is a great tool for a convention gamemaster...I should really do a few more, since I have expanded the range of miniatures I have available.

Personally, I don’t have a problem with the activation rules, as long as we’re playing two player. I do understand those that do have a problem; my older son will only play activation rules like this or like Dragon Rampant under protest.

• Like 4

Activation definitely won't be my strong suite. I avoid all games of chance because I have bad luck especially when it comes to dice.

This is the main reason I've never picked up games like Farkle. I roll badly so playing something like Farkle or Zombie Dice would just be a train wreck. 

With this I think I'll be able to hold my own though. All I have to do is avoid the temptation of greed.

13 hours ago, Rat13 said:

I've been looking at Frost grave but Song just looked easier to get my group involved with. If they take to it that'll probably be the next step.

12 hours ago, Darkmeer said:

I have both.  I get more mileage out of SoBH because of setting "neutrality."  I don't need a bunch of winter-coated minis. 

I might suggest skipping looking at Frostgrave, and going directly to the Frostgrave author’s latest rules, Ghost Archipelago.  It’s very similar to Frostgrave in many ways, and since it takes place on tropical islands, doesn’t require winter themed/based figures.  It centers around a superhuman leader called a Heritor, their Wizard assistant, and their band of adventurer associates. 

I have a battle report from a recent game we played posted here: http://onemoregamingproject.blogspot.com/2017/12/ghost-archipelago-test-game.html

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Darkmeer said:

36 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

I might suggest skipping looking at Frostgrave, and going directly to the Frostgrave author’s latest rules, Ghost Archipelago.  It’s very similar to Frostgrave in many ways, and since it takes place on tropical islands, doesn’t require winter themed/based figures.  It centers around a superhuman leader called a Heritor, their Wizard assistant, and their band of adventurer associates. 

I have a battle report from a recent game we played posted here: http://onemoregamingproject.blogspot.com/2017/12/ghost-archipelago-test-game.html

I didn't go with a winter theme for my Frostgrave. I'm still working on getting a good set of generic summer terrain built up. While I like the thoughtof some winter stuff I didn't want to make things that don't fit what I already have. You can play Frostgrave while ignoring the whole winter theme if you want. Other than a couple scenarios there's not really any weather related rules involved. I'm kind of interested in Ghost Archipelago but only finished collecting all the Frostgrave rules just now. It'll be a bit before I start on a new settingand new rules.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

1 hour ago, Zink said:

I didn't go with a winter theme for my Frostgrave. I'm still working on getting a good set of generic summer terrain built up. While I like the thoughtof some winter stuff I didn't want to make things that don't fit what I already have. You can play Frostgrave while ignoring the whole winter theme if you want. Other than a couple scenarios there's not really any weather related rules involved. I'm kind of interested in Ghost Archipelago but only finished collecting all the Frostgrave rules just now. It'll be a bit before I start on a new settingand new rules.

Please don't misunderstand.  My group is myself and my two eldest children.  My kids like the spring/summer/fall warbands.  My Eldest's Elves are a fall theme (Orange/Green/Yellow), while my youngest has a midsummer night's goblins (Night Goblins, which I also use), and I play Chaos Dwarves or my Anhurians/Thalos grouping. 

Ghost Archipelago looks like a lot of fun, too.  The youngest likes all sorts of wargames.  What I really need is a more adult group to play Frostgrave with, which is rare in my area, as they all want to play WarmaHordes, Age of Sigmar, or whichever Star Wars starfighter game is on that day.  If it's not competitive, the people in my area don't want to play it, which is very sad.  They don't do this with RPG's, mind you, and even putting this as a narrative Minis game (on par with an RPG), or even Mordheim, they don't want anything to do with it.

(steering BACK on topic)

So, my "battle at the farm" idea is very similar to the 40k battle at the farm.  A ruined farmhouse is found by one of the groups, which has food.  the other group happens upon the first group as they are taking the food away.  The first group has a hand cart that takes two actions to move it 1 medium move (using the WizKids hand cart here).  The idea is to start the warband on a corner and have to reach the far side of the board, while the other warband starts on the far corner and is trying to steal the food and then reach the raiding side.  sort of like this:  

Attacker must exit here v

Attacker deploys here----------------------

|                       |

Defender exits here> |                       |

|_____________|Defender deploys here.

Obviously there would be fences and broken fields (rough terrian) and a building or two for cover, maybe even s copse of trees.  Does this sound like a fun idea, or should I scrap it?

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Darkmeer said:

So, my "battle at the farm" idea is very similar to the 40k battle at the farm. 

This honestly sounds like the X-Wing mission where you have to defend freighters through a hostile area. Protect the freighters until they can reach the edge of the board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darkmeer said:

Obviously there would be fences and broken fields (rough terrian) and a building or two for cover, maybe even s copse of trees.  Does this sound like a fun idea, or should I scrap it?

My group is mostly my 14 year old son and sometimes his little brother. The battle sounds like fun. I'm setting up a battle for us that is from Warhammer Ancients (using different rules) similar to that. The defender has 3 wagons in the middle and has to get them off one end while the attacker tries to capture them. Got a ton of scenario ideas from Warhammer and Warhammer Ancients that will work for just about any system.

• Like 5

Based on everyone's recommendations I just bought a copy of Frostgrave and Ghost Archipelago.

I took a look at the system and it certainly seems up my alley. I'm going to start my group off with Song though.

If that goes well I'll have both of those to fall back on though. Oddly enough they'll supposedly be delivered the same day I get my Song books even though I just ordered them a few minutes ago.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Rat13 said:

Based on everyone's recommendations I just bought a copy of Frostgrave and Ghost Archipelago.

I took a look at the system and it certainly seems up my alley. I'm going to start my group off with Song though.

If that goes well I'll have both of those to fall back on though. Oddly enough they'll supposedly be delivered the same day I get my Song books even though I just ordered them a few minutes ago.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place.  

Just by way of an FYI, there are informative Frostgrave and Ghost Archieplago threads here in the Fantasy forum that may be worth your while to browse through:

Forstgrave

Ghost Archipelago

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Just by way of an FYI, there are informative Frostgrave and Ghost Archieplago threads here in the Fantasy forum that may be worth your while to browse through:

Forstgrave

Ghost Archipelago

I'll have to check those out when I get enough time. There's a lot to catch up on in those threads.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Sounds like you have a good plan in place.  

Forstgrave

Ghost Archipelago

17 hours ago, Rat13 said:

I'll have to check those out when I get enough time. There's a lot to catch up on in those threads.

I would also HIGHLY recommend reading Chris's Frostgrave 2016 and 2017 campaigns, and, on his blog, he has his test game for Ghost Archipelago, too.  It's really informative, and they are fun reads too!  It's a mix of the old flavor text AND rules that really makes it work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 08/01/2018 at 6:19 AM, Darkmeer said:

So, my "battle at the farm" idea is very similar to the 40k battle at the farm.  A ruined farmhouse is found by one of the groups, which has food.  the other group happens upon the first group as they are taking the food away.  The first group has a hand cart that takes two actions to move it 1 medium move (using the WizKids hand cart here).  The idea is to start the warband on a corner and have to reach the far side of the board, while the other warband starts on the far corner and is trying to steal the food and then reach the raiding side.  sort of like this:  

Attacker must exit here v

Attacker deploys here----------------------

|                       |

Defender exits here> |                       |

|_____________|Defender deploys here.

Sounds cool to me. I've had similar thoughts for a scenario about a party of dwarfs defending a treasure cart against some variety of bandits while it makes its way across the table.

• Like 1