Rat13

Song of Blades and Heroes?

My copy of Song of Blade and Heroes should be here tomorrow. With any luck I can start learning the system tomorrow night. I'll have almost two weeks before I present this to my group too, so I should be ready by then.

Today I did come across something that will be my first official piece of terrain. On a visit to the dollar store to pick up more painting supplies (toothpicks for priming and working on eyes; parchment paper for my wet pallete) I came across a candle holder that will be perfect. 

I think it looks great scale wise. Figures are a Cadien Shock Trooper, a kobold, and a paladin. 

20180109_215139.jpg

20180109_215112.jpg

• Like 7

I almost picked up a similar statue here in the states recently (they were out when I went back the other day).  Are you going to leave the statue as-is, or are you going to paint it up and make it look different? 

1 hour ago, Darkmeer said:

Are you going to leave the statue as-is, or are you going to paint it up and make it look different?

I think I'm actually going to leave it as is. It looks fairly weathered so I think I'll play it safe and leave it as is.

Today my copies of Song of Blades and Heroes and the advanced version arrived today. So I've got some nice reading ahead of me.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Rat13 said:

I think I'm actually going to leave it as is. It looks fairly weathered so I think I'll play it safe and leave it as is.

Today my copies of Song of Blades and Heroes and the advanced version arrived today. So I've got some nice reading ahead of me.

You will notice some subtle differences in the basic combat.  The BIG difference is in the combat section.  Enjoy the reading!

• Like 1

I'm almost finished with the revised edition rules. Though I have it I haven't even cracked open the advanced book yet.

Today I made two sets of movement sticks and primed them. Tomorrow I'm hoping to paint them and start assembling a couple of "warbands" (still haven't really figured out what to call them). With any luck I should be ready to play by tomorrow night. I may even get to try the game with a friend before I present it to my AL group.

• Like 3

Finished my movement sticks today. The long ones came out really well, the medium and short sticks not so much. I was hoping to be able to use up some of my cheap craft paint, which backfired on me. I may go over the medium and short sticks again but for now they're passable, not pretty but good enough.

I also assembled two warbands that are fairly similar. Without even trying both warbands came out to 296 points, that was a happy coincidence. I tried to keep it fairly simple so I completely avoided magic.

Group One:

Human Warrior

Dwarf Warrior

Lizardman Leader

Human, Light Infantry 

Orc Champion/Brute

Skeleton Human, Superior Archer

Group Two:

Human Warrior

Human Barbarian Warrior

Dwarf Crossbowman

Orc Champion/Brute

Human Leader

Elf Elite Archer

I also made up index cards for all the figures to make it easier on myself and everyone who wants to try the game.

More importantly I finished the revised book and feel ready to play. I was planing to play on Saturday or Sunday with a friend but the weather might disrupt those plans.

20180112_134244.jpg

• Like 3

My friend and I were able to get together today and we just finished our first game. It was about an hour long game just because I haven't memorized the book yet so I kept checking and rechecking things.

My friend isn't really into tabletop games but he is into Xcom and turn based strategy so this was right up his alley. We're about to start our second game now.

On a personal note learning Song of Blades and Heroes while simultaneously learning Frostgrave wasn't such a great idea.

• Like 4

I love Xcom and other turn based computer games too. Maybe because they give me the type of experience I want in the tabletop games I play. I've had experience with trying to many games at once too. Now that I play so rarely it's easy to get rules crossed up between games. Both Frostgrave and SOBH are pretty simple games but that doesn't mean I can't mess them up somehow.

• Like 1

So we ended up playing two games and the second one was amazing. We took out each other's Orc Champions one after the other.

Then we spent three rounds where my leader was surrounded by three of his melee fighters including his leader. So each round I'd activate my leader to stand back up and attack his leader. Which resulted in both of our leaders basically doing the up down dance.

The whole game we were neck and neck killing figures. He ended up killing enough to force a morale check for me though. I had to move figures but didn't lose anyone. 

Once it was his turn for a check though he lost his dwarf. We were down to just two figures apiece. He had his lizardman leader and human warrior while I had my human warrior and my dwarf crossbowman.

My dwarf ended up being my last remaining figure. His leader saw to that soon enough though. 

So I lost but I loved every minute of it.

Edited by Rat13
Dang autocorrect.
  • Like 3

Seeing as how we have a thread going for SoBaH, I've painted up one of the dolmen warriors from the Axe and Brimstone Kickstarter. Some of the minis Ganesha has produced for the game are very nice indeed.

IMG_20180113_100445.thumb.jpg.e1007a170105cceb70aa933fe2c54ede.jpg

• Like 5

Since everyone had the day off we decided to get together again. We ended up playing an epic team game. It was my friend and his girlfriend versus my wife and I.

The game was an epic two and a half hour bloodbath. My wife ended up carrying me the whole game to victory. 

For a four man game I just made duplicates of my previous warbands. So each team had a group lead by a human leader and a group lead by a lizardman leader.

Photograph is of the battlefield. Each team had one player entering from the ends of the table with their teammate entering from the side. Needless to say the center of the table was a meat grinder. The paper shreds indicate the last minute addition of a river.

20180115_184008.jpg

20180115_183951.jpg

• Like 8

Nice little battlefield there.  Did you play with the rules where a Q roll was needed to not fall into the river?

50 minutes ago, Darkmeer said:

Did you play with the rules where a Q roll was needed to not fall into the river?

No it was just handled as difficult terrain. Honestly the only reason it was there was so my friend could use the Lizardman Leader's special rule of amphibious. 

When I made the model stat cards I was looking to the future and not just one game. So the stats, point cost, special rules, and the explanation of each ones special rules were on the cards.

I figured it'd be easier to do it right once, because once you make a start card you can use it for a long time.

• Like 3

Rivers can be really dangerous in SoBH and ASoBH.  I'm glad you went with less lethal here, especially learning.  I tend to have small ponds on my table (I don't have any rivers made yet), and those are fun to plunk small, amphibious creatures in and say "come and get me!" to the non-amphibious foes.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Darkmeer said:

I'm glad you went with less lethal here, especially learning.

I was really trying to limit the learning curve. That's why I tried so hard to balance out the forces.

I'm really glad I kept the special rules/abilities in though. Initially I was just going to have generic fighters with no special rules/abilities, that would have made for a really boring game.

• Like 1