Darsc Zacal

Hellboy Boardgame kickstarter by Mantic

Coming in April and based on the comics, not any past or upcoming movies.IMG_1095.thumb.JPG.c0b8e97687415bd6c45de068f4c65d98.JPG

The Hellboy board game will be a co-operative experience in which players face off against some of the comic’s most famous foes. Up to four people take control of iconic BRPD members, such as Hellboy, Abe Sapien and Roger the Homunculus, before exploring gothic locations and uncovering ancient artifacts.

Set to make its Kickstarter debut in April 2018, the Hellboy board game will feature stunning, pre-assembled plastic miniatures that accurately capture the look and feel of Mike Mignola’s world famous comic series.

“Hellboy has a great cast of characters, diverse locations and legendary monsters from the pages of folklore and myth,” said Ronnie Renton, Mantic CEO. “The comics provide a fantastic foundation on which to build an immersive, fun and fast-paced co-operative board game that will let players experience some of their favorite moments from the series.”

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 2

I could get behind this if there are some good minis.

Any feedback on other Mantic Kickstarters?

Just now, Talae said:

Hit and miss.

They have made some very good minis, some very bad minis, and their rules are usually ok.

They are rarely if ever on schedule, but seem to deliver eventually.

They are very bad at metal.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Talae said:

Their early kickstarters were rather messy, and as Werkrobotwerk mentioned they can be a bit hit and miss regarding game or mini quality and delays can happen.

I liked their Mars Attacks game and their Big Stompy Robots and Flying Saucers were some of my favourite minis.

The martians and other minis were made of a softer plastic that I would have liked. 

The street scenery accessories were also nicely done although I wasn't much of a fan of the concept for their modual building kits.

I just received the first wave of Star Saga kickstarter and I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far, although I haven't  thoroughly read the rules or tried to play yet.

The minis are plastic that is a bit firmer than Bones but not a hard plastic. 

I think the detail is good and I'm happy with most of the sculpts so far though the scifi furniture sets would have benefited from being a harder plastic.

Ironically one of the few Mantic kickstarters I didn't back is one of my favourite games.

Can't say enough good things about Mantics The Walking Dead game.

The minis are a good representation of the characters from the comics and there's a large assortment of zombies, each one a different sculpt.

The accessory kits have been great.(other than the measuring sets)

And I love the rules. I'd highly recommend it.

Overall I'd say that the games based on a comic franchise have been some of Mantics strongest releases so I've high hopes for Hellboy.

But... with Mantic ya never know.

• Like 2

After Kings of War 2 had been shipping for a while and many people (including myself) were missing stuff and getting spotty replies, Mantic implemented a new incident management system. The new system worked well for me, as I got a reply immediately and my missing items sent soon after.

The only other Mantic project I backed was TerrainCrate, which hasn't shipped yet so I have no idea how customer service is keeping up these days.

• Like 1

I'll definitely have to give this a good look... I was thinking that a coop Hellboy game would be a lot of fun earlier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeneki said:

After Kings of War 2 had been shipping for a while and many people (including myself) were missing stuff and getting spotty replies, Mantic implemented a new incident management system. The new system worked well for me, as I got a reply immediately and my missing items sent soon after.

The only other Mantic project I backed was TerrainCrate, which hasn't shipped yet so I have no idea how customer service is keeping up these days.

I backed TerrainCrate as well, but it is the only one of their protects that I have backed. 

Thanks for the insight everyone. I will watch for more details. I love Hellboy, so this could tempt me a lot.

• Like 1

I've never backed their Kickstarters, but I have been buying their minis for a long time now.

I don't think any of their stuff is awful, but a solid chunk of it is either bland, or uninspiring.

Some of it is balls out great. Their newer space terrain bits are outstanding.

I wouldn't say they are bad at metal, wholesale. I've got a couple metal figs from them that are actually quite excellent.

In fact, I haven't personally held any of their metal that was bad. (I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that I haven't personally encountered it.)

But given how little metal they produce, it's probably not a surprise that it wouldn't be their strong suit.

For rules, I've only ever paid attention really, to Kings of War, of which I am quite fond.

In general, though, they give you a million dudes for relatively less money. That could be bad, or good. You just have to choose carefully.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bruunwald said:

I wouldn't say they are bad at metal, wholesale. I've got a couple metal figs from them that are actually quite excellent.

In fact, I haven't personally held any of their metal that was bad. (I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that I haven't personally encountered it.)

But given how little metal they produce, it's probably not a surprise that it wouldn't be their strong suit.

I haven't tried their kings of war metals, but the warpath ones were a mess.

ten-ur-go had legs that would self destruct under the weight of the torso

astarian kalyshi I have had 20+ copies, 0 without serious defects.

gcps LT melt face.

blaine mold making defects.

the special metal enforcer sniper was just fine.

I know I come off as critical, but I really do quite like the majority of their plastic offerings, and their accompanying print products (I forgot to mention they make an excellent dungeon tile) 

As long as they stick to the same kind of material they used for starsaga, dungeon saga, and walking dead I am absolutely in on this one.

• Like 2

I dunno. I'm a big Hellboy fan, but I'm not sure how the comics would translate into a boardgame... and without more information, I am uninclined to commit actual spendy dollar token money things.

• Like 1

I have backed two.

1) dreadball had some nice miniatures.

2) dungeon saga was hit or miss on the figures. All of mine are doing the Michael Jackson lean. 

Mantic does have the tendency to redesign a figure without notice, not often, but it happens.

• Like 2

Quoted from Mantics blog:

The Hellboy board game will be a co-operative experience in which players face off against some of the comic’s most famous foes. Up to four people take control of iconic BRPD members, such as Hellboy, Abe Sapien and Roger the Homunculus, before exploring gothic locations and uncovering ancient artifacts.

Set to make its Kickstarter debut in April 2018, the Hellboy board game will feature stunning, pre-assembled plastic miniatures that accurately capture the look and feel of Mike Mignola’s world famous comic series.

“Hellboy has a great cast of characters, diverse locations and legendary monsters from the pages of folklore and myth,” said Ronnie Renton, Mantic CEO. “The comics provide a fantastic foundation on which to build an immersive, fun and fast-paced co-operative board game that will let players experience some of their favorite moments from the series.”

• Like 1

I could see a co-op game working well for this. I could also see it giving some decent minis to use for a that 1930s superhero RPG  our group played years ago (using Mutants and Masterminds rules).

• Like 1