Hi everyone,

I need your help.  I feel as if I am at a bit of an impasse. I am currently painting an armed force of ancient skeletons.  The primary reasons for taking this project was to practice my OSL on the eyes, and trying my hand at verdigris for the first time.  I love how both the skeletons and the ancient metal are coming out.  However, I feel as if there is not enough contrast on the models, and when viewing them from tabletop distance, they look too... homogeneous.  Do they look "boring" to anyone else? Does anyone else have a suggestion for how to fix them?

skel1.jpg.44f9e316fdbee012918e472afb3c5dc3.jpg

skel2.thumb.jpg.c6ef6b63dd493b8b6e8a0c6946f5f345.jpg

• Like 2

Your bones look very clean. You might add some brown stains or dirt. 

• Like 1

They look great to me. I do see where you're coming from though, the homogeny comes from the fact that the bones are a uniform color. Try experimenting towards a browner tone on a few others and mixing them into the ranks. The verdigris looks good as well, but on the next ones tone it back a bit so that more of the copper shows through.

I think they look fine as is but you could try make some skeletons dirtier. The idea being that some came from tombs but some had to claw their way out if the dirt.

I would definitely do one more highlight with a lighter-color bone.  Looking at the figures, I see a base color, and one highlight.  I'd want to go darker, as well as lighter to really push the contrast. 

I'd also apply some light glazes to various parts of the figure.  For example, you could do a very thin green glaze, or a red-brown glaze.

Note that these are glazes, very thin, just a touch of color.  The idea being you want to add variety without overpowering the base color.

Do a search for "James Wappel" and then search his blog for "skeleton."  You'll get lots of ideas.

You could also use a ivory-color to do some of the highlighting, which would leave the base grey-bone but provide some difference between the figures.

I’d suggest adding some pops of color; some reds or yellows would contrast nicely.  Either in the form of shield decorations, or spotty residual paint on helmets and bows.

From a tabletop distance, you lose an incredible amount of detail. You know all those hours you've spent slaving on getting the eyes right? Nobody's gonna see them.

Here's a crazy example of glowing eyes -- a tattoo. Notice how much contrast there is in the eye socket. But, to see it, you're going to have to look up close at the miniature. Your picture is still not close enough to see the glowing eyes. At best, maybe paint the eyes black and dot them with a tiny fluorescent or neon color, gradually adding more brightness to the paint.

skull_tattoo_with_glowing_eyes.jpg

• Like 2

I think they look great especially the verdigris effects. In addition to what others have said, maybe they will look less homogeneous once the basing is completed?

When painting for tabletop, it is usually good to emphasize contrasts and overdo certain details. 

as stated above, some more highlight and completed bases should help.

I you want variety, different base colours beneath the same washes and highlights often do the trick when the minis otherwise are similar.

I would in addittion suggest stark or pure white on the teeth to make them stand out properly.

Just do the bases, it’ll make the skeletons pop just by that.

Loth

• Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 5:01 PM, Maledrakh said:

When painting for tabletop, it is usually good to emphasize contrasts and overdo certain details. 

as stated above, some more highlight and completed bases should help.

I you want variety, different base colours beneath the same washes and highlights often do the trick when the minis otherwise are similar.

I would in addittion suggest stark or pure white on the teeth to make them stand out properly.

Good idea on the teeth- I think I'll do that and the bases too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Crowley
      The painting theme of the month has been chosen! The Undead of October will emerge from their (freshly painted) graves The miniatures have been selected… Here’s what's on the painting table:

9 Bones Skeletons (from Bones 2)
      6 Undying (Death, minotaur, lizardman, elf, halfling, & dwarf skeletons from Bones 3)
      Bone Fiend (Bones 2)
      4 mummies (Bones 2)
      Hecklemeyer & Styx (25th Anniversary mini)
      Dust King & Tomb (Bones 3)
      Demi-Lich (Bones 2)
      3 Nefsokar mummies (Bones 1)

26 (or 28 if you count the broken tomb and the tiny puppet) minis, in 31 days? Less if you count the vacation in the middle of the month… Plus one day since I started on the last day of September. Granted, the skeletons should all go really quickly, but even still, it’ll be a push to get it done, but this would push me over 100 minis for 2018… 

Since everything is already lined with brown liner, the plan is:
      Dirty Bone on all the bone and mummy wrapping!
      Scorched Metal all the armor and weapons 
      Heavy Sepia Wash pretty much everything
      Highlights

Special Minis:
      Demi-Lich - Thinking green/purple flames?
      Hecklemeyer - Black & White costume? Black, White, & Red?
      Nefsokar mummies - Lots of gold and bronze. 
      Dust King - Seriously tempted to paint it up like the ice lich from Warcraft… 

As for their bases? That’s a little more work. The skeletons, bone fiend, and maybe the dust king will get bases to match the flocking on the tombstones. The demi-lich and hecklemeyer will probably get some sort of sculpted flagstone base. The mummies? Haven’t decided. Seriously tempted to give them dungeon flagstone bases too… 

Okay, so it’s really unlikely I’ll finish all of these in October, but maybe by November? 
    • By Silvervane
      I finally got around to taking photo's of MuuMuu.  I got her orgianlly as a possible bonus figure for modern Zombicide.  Never got around to painting her before getting sucked into black plague.  So I decided to finisher up.  Here is MuuMuu:

Thanks for any looking and any C&C you feel like giving.
    • By LarsM
      Finally got around to take pictures of my Warhammer diorama.
      I entered it into a local competition, and was lucky enough to win the Warhammer category. Thanks to everyone who wrote a comment in the WIP thread.
      Link here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/81383-warhammer-diorama-pic-heavy/

..Sorry for the overload of pictures!  -could'nt help myself..

Although on these pictures I can see many mistakes, I am quite happy with it.
      Hope you enjoy it, and as always any comment, critiq or question is welcome.

• By Sarducci
      Continuing my paint up of all the bosses in the Forge of Fury, here is Kavorgh, painted up to be the Orc Wight Champion.  My first time playing with a light box to get better pictures too :)

• By Metalchaos
      Reaper Miniatures 03716 Ghouls sculpted by Bob Ridolfi and old school RAFM 02953 Ghoul Warlock.

I painted these in August for a D&D encounter but I had to repaint them because the varnish has created a white fume all over the models when I sealed them. It probably happened to many of you as well. It was the third time I wasted painted models because of that undesirable fume without being able to put my finger on the reason why. I think I now know why it happen.

Trick or treat : A true horror story

It was very humid outside that last August. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to shelter myself in the basement while I was speed painting some exquisite Reaper Miniature models. Late that day, as I was done painting a hand full of Undead models, I decided to seal them with that half-full / half-empty "you choose" can of anti shine matt varnish. It's important to mention that I had already used that very same spray can a month earlier.

This being said, after shaking the spray can for a good minute or so, I opened the basement door leading into the backyard. Immediatly, a draft of hot and humid air invaded the doorway and shook my face. I remember swearing when I felt the moisture condensing to beads of sweat on my skin. Without losing a second, wanting to get back to shelter in my man cave, I spray some figurines. In the darkness of the night, everything seemend to be allright under the dim light of the portico.

The day after, I noticed the damage. By a terrible curse, the models I spayed the night before were covered with a thin, powdery layer of white dust. I gazed around looking for sneering Gremlins but saw nothing unusual. Disconcerted, I became aware of the extent of the damage. There has to be a logical explanation behind this ghouly phenomenon.

As much as I like science fiction and horror stories, I had to find a scientific explanation to all this madness. Wasting other models by this evil spell was not an option. I reused the same spay can to make a test. The only parameter that seemed to be different was the fact that it was very humid and hot outside the night before.

I did not want to ruin hours of time spent painting another model to do this test. So, I sprayed a colored cardboard. Furthermore, I made an exception to the sanitary rule and used the spray can inside. The result was surprising. Even though I was using the same spay can, there was no fume this time. Since then, I've been reusing that same spry can on other models whitout any problem.

What happened that draid August night? Was it the imps playing tricks on me or just the excessive difference of temperature and the heavy humidity in the air catched by the aerosol varnish? I will probably never know but one thing is for sure, I will always test my spray can on an expendable object before spraying my art.

• Who's Online   25 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)