CaesarAnto

replacing the old GW inks

hi all,

I'm trying to find a suitable replacement for the GW inks that got discontinued some 10 years ago (I'm talking about the screw-on top inks with the glossy finish, red and green in particular). After a bit of research I've narrowed down my search to two brands, Liquitex and Daler-Rowney. In terms of gloss/shininess which one would you suggest?

I've already tried Vallejo's red ink but it's fairly matte; Coat d'Arms is producing paints and inks which supposedly mimic the first generations of Citadel paints but from what I've gathered they have little to do with the 'screw-on top generation'; I've heard that P3 ink is fairly shiny but as I live in Italy that's a bit out of the question for me

thank you for your help

image.png.2cf3e17cfedb4457cbf8a9b2ef722681.png

(on the left, GW's old red ink; on the right, an example of what I'd like to obtain)

I'm using the Army Painter dropper bottles. The colored quickshade inks are fairly intense like the old GW inks, and somewhat glossy.

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 3

Army Painter has a lot of the old formula.

I use Scale 75, bought the Inktense Set, great Inks.

• Like 2

thank you for your suggestions, I've found a store in town that sells Army Painter paints so I'm going to give them a try. I've read mixed opinions about them in terms of similarity to the old inks but at €2.50 a piece they're definitely worth the risk

image.png.a2da7e6737e7e08359cf1be1da05fb4c.png

• Like 1

I have some of both the old GW inks and Army painter ones. I really like the Army Painter ones but they aren't quite the same. I'm not sure what's available that would be closest. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the army painter offering but they aren't as glossy or intense (searching for a proper description here) as the old GW inks.

• Like 1

I haven't found a replacement for Citadel brown ink, but I thought the red, blue, green, etc were pretty good. 

according to this guy Liquitex transparent burnt Sienna is a pretty close match to the much beloved Chestnut Ink, for example, and in general I keep reading of people indicating Liquitex and Daler-Rowney acrylic inks as the best bet (Winsor&Newton also but since it has shellac in it I don't trust it much in the long run). I've never come across anyone suggesting a positive match for GW's Red Ink, though, and I really miss it - mostly for nostalgic reasons, it was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I remember applying a single layer of it and the orangish GW Blood Red of my minis would turn into a gorgeous, shiny darkish red

image.png.7632050461840342c4b86023a41f4cf9.png

• Like 1

sorry to bug you again but are these two the same thing? 'red tone ink' is not listed on Army Painter's site, maybe it's what it was called when it first came out and then it had its name changed?

image.png.82240be8751a04d43613d965086e6885.png