eldamir

recovery advice

So my 5yo step-spawn decided that she wanted to try her hand at painting and helped herself.  Any suggestions on recovering these without a full strip and do-over?

5a5284f92522b_2018-01-0714_31_28.thumb.jpg.2b4245b063d374512bfba493a9f0bdbd.jpg5a5284ef0e3cd_2018-01-0714_31_17.thumb.jpg.3fcf78782ef18aadac211c2ce94c67d2.jpg

She didn't get the dragon at least... but every single other piece of the terrain has either Fire Red, Breast Cancer Pink or Imperial Purple or a pinkish mix of the two on it..

Plus the 3 figures that are still WIP are getting a Simple Green bath, but they weren't done, so it's not that bad..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

The blood red on the steps doesn't look too bad, actually. :) 

I wouldn't strip it, just repaint the affected areas. 

• Like 5

Work with it. That bottom pic makes me think it could be a great chance to do an ancient fresco. Like Inara says the blood can work if you darken it up some more and paint a few bloody foot prints. The heroes might have had some difficulty with the dragon after all, right.

Edited by Leader of the Rats
spelling
  • Like 7

Agreed, just paint over.  Worse case, it doesn't appear to be anything that some brush on primer can't take care of.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leader of the Rats said:

Work with it. That bottom pic makes me think it could be a great chance to do an ancient fresco. Like Inara says the blood can work if you darken it up some more and paint a few bloody foot prints. The heroes might have had some difficulty with the dragon after all, right.

I was thinking something along that line too. With the pinkish color, it looks like the base of a little colorful shrine with the central statue missing.

You may have had a happy little accident.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

The blood red on the steps doesn't look too bad, actually. :) 

I wouldn't strip it, just repaint the affected areas. 

Maybe add one or two "Bones" figures that have been attacked and left for dead in those areas?

• Like 2

Add vegetation and clumps of leaves if the spot repainting doesn't look quite right. 

• Like 3

Yeah, particularly on the lower half, the red looks pretty good. Perhaps dirty it up a bit more and add a skeleton or two, or maybe just parts of skeletons strewn about and it will just make your Dragon seem that much more powerful.

• Like 2

Thanks all - the color choices could have been MUCH worse - the pink on the upper tower (not shown in the upper pictures) seems to be fading back in with a couple of light layers of RedStone.. I like the idea of a ruined fresco - but having seen @Pochi's fresco, I feel like I'll be behind the curve from the get-go.  But it does sound like something to challenge me.

For the Fire Red, I'll have to give some thought to the blood idea, but I think that might work as well with some creative positioning .. and I have a whole host of bones fellows who can probably be convinced to boil their way into fallen positions..

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, eldamir said:

Thanks all - the color choices could have been MUCH worse - the pink on the upper tower (not shown in the upper pictures) seems to be fading back in with a couple of light layers of RedStone.. I like the idea of a ruined fresco - but having seen @Pochi's fresco, I feel like I'll be behind the curve from the get-go.  But it does sound like something to challenge me.

For the Fire Red, I'll have to give some thought to the blood idea, but I think that might work as well with some creative positioning .. and I have a whole host of bones fellows who can probably be convinced to boil their way into fallen positions..

As others have said, I'd go for spot painting.

As for the fresco, go for it. It's on a ruin so you can make it look chipped and dirty which is what I did. Little trees and flowers aren't too hard to paint up, let dry and then do a couple soft washes to make it look old and grubby. Or....paint your stone colors back in and just do little splotches of color like most of the paint has been chipped or worn away but you can tell once there was a mural there.

And maybe it's time to keep the paint under lock and key! ::P: And you're right, it could have been worse. You could have a dragon with p;ink polka dots!

• Like 6

My first thought when I saw the subject line was something much more . . . dramatic.   This is a normal Tuesday in my house . . . .

Seriously, you've got a handle on it. 

FYI, I've got a bones young dragon that looks like it went on a rampage through Lowe's paint department.  It's all part of the experience of parenting while hobbying.

But make sure you put the hobby knives and glues up high so the aspiring hobbyist can't reach them.

• Like 7

Probably time to start investing in some art supplies just for the offspring to use.

Make it clear that their stuff is theirs, and you don't use it without asking, and your stuff is yours, and the offspring don't get into your stuff without asking - - - first.

GEM

• Like 5

Speaking of washes, I used Secret Weapon Miniatures: Stone wash on my stone terrain. Good for underground stone effects. Undercoat with grey drybrush, with white on edges.

pic2474973_md.jpg

• Like 6