PaganMegan

Eberron Game! No Auld Grumpies Allowed!

10 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Back to the Fire.

The living room is infested with little people!

Fire is often the only sure way to clear such an infestation...

/Purple text

• Like 2

Froggy the Great had a joke about a redacted post.

Now I have an idea for a redacted letter as a clue.

It'll drive them CRAZY!

• Like 3

.... you have /no idea/ how badly I want you to port this over to here.. or the Portal .. so /I can play/.

Nowhere NEAR enough Eberron games around, and nowhere near enough games, in general. ^^;

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2018 at 7:01 PM, PaganMegan said:

Maybe.... :lol:

Okay, I don't know the details about the flashback yet, but I know when and where.

Just outside the border, when a nation dies, and the Mournlands are born.

A rescue mission, I think, with the spook as their handler.

Before they cross the border, the Event happens.

Gonna need a bunch of the Bones Dark Young, I think.

If any of the players insist on going in as all hell breaks loose, then they die unless other players stop them.

Then each of the players will wake up in their own beds, from the recurring nightmare of that night. The dead ones stay dead.

I am going to try to make the spook seem untrustworthy, right from the beginning, but he is really about 75% trustworthy, with the remaining 25% be withholding information, not betrayal.

And one of that unshared information is his motive.

Survivor's Guilt.

He is not expecting or planning on making it back alive.

The dragon is Sidney Greenstreet in Maltese Falcon.

Peter Lorre is his changeling lackey. He may kill and replace the spook at some point.

The players will go up a level between the flashback and the current day.

I got the Sidney Greenstreet connection from your early descriptions and have just been waiting to suggest a suitable name for the Silver Dragon, that being Sidney Silverstreet or some variant suitable for the local linguistic protocols.

The Peter Lorre parallel is fantastic.

Somehow I see the whole game playing out in Theater of the Mind in Black and White/Film Noir and very subdued colors, almost like a washed out Technicolor picture where the color gain is turned way down, then switching to full on 3 Strip Technicolor when things really get moving.

The key question right now, for me anyway, will be how long it takes Auld Grump to recognize that he is being flashbacked into a game he once DMed.

GEM

12 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

If the players figure things out they will NOT want Argent to get the maguffin.

Drake Argent. Too much of a hint?

Possibly "Sidney D. Argent'"?

GEM

9 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

But I want to play in your game right NOWWWWWWW!

I concur!

• Like 2

Let me run it for Grump and the Bund first - it's his Christmas present! ::D:

Grump suggested using Necrons and giving them head and weapon swaps to make some Warforged.

The head he found looks a lot like Starlord from Guardians of the Galaxy, and makes the figure look a little less Terminatory.

Still looks kind of skeletony though. Maybe fill in between the ribs with putty. Or cover with plastic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Miniatures aside, I think I have enough for the first few sessions, maybe the first month's worth. ::):

Now I need to stat everything out, and do two or three versions of a some maps. (Before the Event and After. The Before map is the one the players will be getting. The After map is what is actually there when they go in. Another After map for what it looks like in the current game year. Is it HARD to map non-euclidean  geometry?)

I am thinking about map tiles, and maybe changing them as the players go back the way they came and the TERRAIN has CHANGED.

Grump will be home soon, I need to yell at him a bit about his knee.

• Like 4

Suddenly I understand why Grump LEAKS.

I have no idea how they are going to solve the problems, but I know they WILL solve the problems, and it will be AWESOME!

And I want to SHARE!

But, I also REALLY want to see the silver dragon get killed, I am starting to hate him, even though he is MY creation.

I like the ancient, evil, UNDEAD dragon that is using him as a stalking horse more than I like him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes!  The Bones Dark Young are coming out next month!

I want at least five on the table, for a tentacle infested forest. :devil:

Not really Dark Young, though I will use their stats.

Dropping Move down to 5' a round.

They are corrupted trees, not Cthulhu creatures.

• Like 3

Holy crap!

I just realized that Eberron is the JAZZ age of fantasy.

That the proper music is jazz, swing, and cabaret!

Forced gaiety to cover the fears and memories of the great war, and to hide the cracks in the system as surplus soldiers bring down the economy.

Not to mention the dread of the next war that nobody wants, but everybody can see coming.

Grump has talked about using music to change his head space, I can tell what game he is working on by his music.

But is one of those thing when he talks about it I go "Yeah, yeah, whatever." Not agreeing or disagreeing, just not caring.

But the song for the Spook is Johnny Cash singing Hurt. And I don't even LIKE Johnny Cash!

The Spook is a bag of broken glass, and was probably a bad guy that excused himself because he was working towards what he thought was a good cause.

And that Aberrant Woods? That is where the first team was hiding when whatever happened happened.

I also think that Pathfinder style Kytons will be a good fit with the Abberant theme.

The Plane of Shadow touches the world there.

Phil as a DM always put the least work that he could into an adventure, so everything either started as a hack, slash, and grab the treasure or ended up that way.

I like Grump's way better, except for all the math. :huh:

• Like 3

So, Grump sent me an e-mail reminding me that WotC sells PDFs of Eberron stuff at RPGNOW, and how to login to his account.

Cool! I had been looking at getting stuff online, and some of the Eberron stuff is EXPENSIVE!

I log in, and try to buy Five Nations, which SHOULD also cover the Mournlands.

YOU HAVE ALREADY PURCHASED THIS ITEM.

Huh!  I download it! Yay!

Okay, Forge of War.

YOU HAVE ALREADY PURCHASED THIS ITEM.

Uhm, yay?

Races of Eberron?

YOU HAVE ALREADY...

Magic of Eberron?

YOU HAVE....

Sharn?

YOU HAVE...

Xendrik?

YOU HAVE...

You know, Grumpy, you could have saved me a lot of time and annoyance if you had remembered that you bought a whole lot of Eberron PDFs back in 2009... :rolleyes:

Forge of War looks like something I HAVE to read.

It covers the War in detail, and may even be something I can adapt.

More of a sourcebook than the adventure I expected. :B):

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I dreamed again, and now I know the location of the last scene in the campaign, and the last handout.

A partially burned note that has been grasped in a dead man's hand since the Day of Mourning.

Cyre is only the beginning

Going to have the players pop into the ruins of Metrol, find each clue, which leads somewhere else, that has a clue that leads back to Metrol.

That last clue is in the palace itself, but nothing about what it means.

I have divided to raid our library for film noir, and maybe rent Atomic Blonde again.

• Like 1