PaganMegan

Eberron Game! No Auld Grumpies Allowed!

10 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Back to the Fire.

The living room is infested with little people!

Fire is often the only sure way to clear such an infestation...

/Purple text

• Like 2

.... you have /no idea/ how badly I want you to port this over to here.. or the Portal .. so /I can play/.

Nowhere NEAR enough Eberron games around, and nowhere near enough games, in general. ^^;

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2018 at 7:01 PM, PaganMegan said:

Maybe.... :lol:

Okay, I don't know the details about the flashback yet, but I know when and where.

Just outside the border, when a nation dies, and the Mournlands are born.

A rescue mission, I think, with the spook as their handler.

Before they cross the border, the Event happens.

Gonna need a bunch of the Bones Dark Young, I think.

If any of the players insist on going in as all hell breaks loose, then they die unless other players stop them.

Then each of the players will wake up in their own beds, from the recurring nightmare of that night. The dead ones stay dead.

I am going to try to make the spook seem untrustworthy, right from the beginning, but he is really about 75% trustworthy, with the remaining 25% be withholding information, not betrayal.

And one of that unshared information is his motive.

Survivor's Guilt.

He is not expecting or planning on making it back alive.

The dragon is Sidney Greenstreet in Maltese Falcon.

Peter Lorre is his changeling lackey. He may kill and replace the spook at some point.

The players will go up a level between the flashback and the current day.

I got the Sidney Greenstreet connection from your early descriptions and have just been waiting to suggest a suitable name for the Silver Dragon, that being Sidney Silverstreet or some variant suitable for the local linguistic protocols.

The Peter Lorre parallel is fantastic.

Somehow I see the whole game playing out in Theater of the Mind in Black and White/Film Noir and very subdued colors, almost like a washed out Technicolor picture where the color gain is turned way down, then switching to full on 3 Strip Technicolor when things really get moving.

The key question right now, for me anyway, will be how long it takes Auld Grump to recognize that he is being flashbacked into a game he once DMed.

GEM

Let me run it for Grump and the Bund first - it's his Christmas present! ::D:

Grump suggested using Necrons and giving them head and weapon swaps to make some Warforged.

The head he found looks a lot like Starlord from Guardians of the Galaxy, and makes the figure look a little less Terminatory.

Still looks kind of skeletony though. Maybe fill in between the ribs with putty. Or cover with plastic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Miniatures aside, I think I have enough for the first few sessions, maybe the first month's worth. ::):

Now I need to stat everything out, and do two or three versions of a some maps. (Before the Event and After. The Before map is the one the players will be getting. The After map is what is actually there when they go in. Another After map for what it looks like in the current game year. Is it HARD to map non-euclidean  geometry?)

I am thinking about map tiles, and maybe changing them as the players go back the way they came and the TERRAIN has CHANGED.

Grump will be home soon, I need to yell at him a bit about his knee.

• Like 3

Suddenly I understand why Grump LEAKS.

I have no idea how they are going to solve the problems, but I know they WILL solve the problems, and it will be AWESOME!

And I want to SHARE!

But, I also REALLY want to see the silver dragon get killed, I am starting to hate him, even though he is MY creation.

I like the ancient, evil, UNDEAD dragon that is using him as a stalking horse more than I like him.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sanael
      Another MLK weekend binge result.

This figure was cast by Reaper for a Canadian (I think) company called Guardians of Order for their supers game, Silver Age Sentinels. The whole SAS line was sculpted by Sandra Garrity, and there were some pretty neat figures in it. The figs were meant to represent archetypal supers, so there's a "strong dude in a cape," a "fast lady running," a "power armor guy," a "dude on fire," etc. This mini, called "Green Ronin," is meant to represent "intergalactic energy construct cop," i.e., Green Lantern. At least, that's what the name and the studio paint job imply.

Why an intergalactic energy construct cop, or someone calling themselves "Ronin" for that matter, has conjured up a three-headed flail and a shield is beyond me, but it's a pretty sweet sculpt nonetheless. I love the form-fitting scale mail, and that mask is classic.

Anyway, I painted her up for use as a unique Emerald Claw NPC for my Eberron campaign. Hopefully I can engineer her escape from at least one encounter so the PCs can fight her more than once. 

C&C always welcome.
    • By Grayfax
      Critical Role resumes tonight (just in case you didn't know) in a brand new campaign with all new characters.  I'll be watching it on Alpha, using my same personae.  

We have no idea who will be who, or what they will be or where they will start, but the conjecture is strong.  
      Once the show has aired, please use Spoiler tags for any content that needs it.  As the show is airing, feel free to discuss it!  There is a spoiler tag alert in the header and I'll make a big sign below.  No reason to use spoilers, but I can link to specific episodes if people need to skip something and come back to it.  Maybe we won't say too much about previous episodes that way.  Who knows... Otherwise, bring on the popcorn and lets enjoy a good show!!!

Be Ye Warned!  There Be Spoilers Below!
    • By Mutilatedlips
      This is one of my favorites. My friend has me painting this whole set from the module The Scourge of Suderham and the requirement is to have them all painted close to the way they appear on the box.

• By Mutilatedlips
      crooked resin staff. I snapped the top part trying to straighten out. My friend grabbed and almost broke the bottom part trying to straighten out, thinking it was metal. It doesn't bother me too much, almost looks animated in a way. 

• By DocPiske
      I’ve been running D&D games for 30 plus years and occasionally someone will ask to play a character with psionic abilities. I usually resist allowing this; I don’t want peanut butter in my chocolate. I view psionics as a science fiction component rather than fantasy, the theory that science fiction is a form of fantasy not withstanding. I generally prefer my fantasy to focus on magic and medieval European settings, and leave other historical cultures, aliens or technology out. Over the years I’ve mellowed and come to accept that players just want to enjoy the fantasy of taking on a role they do not (or cannot) partake of in real life. So I’ve come to accept ninja, psion or steam punk peanut butter in my European medieval fantasy chocolate.

A bit more than fifteen years ago I ran a D&D 3e game set in the Diablo 2 video game world of Sanctuary, using setting and adventure supplements published by Wizards of the Coast. Included in the setting book were rules for the Diablo 2 character classes. I allowed a mix of D&D and D2 characters, but required the player to chose either the D&D spell system or the D2 spell point system, choosing spells from only from the appropriate list. One of the players chose the D2 Necromancer and used the Diablo 2 spell list and spell point system.

This player was a bit of a power gamer and focused on how to maximize the spell point pool, basically never running out of spell points. The character was able to always contribute in a meaningful was to every encounter. I’ve never been a fan of the 15-minute adventure day, so I usually enforce travel time and backtracking, with the commiserate chance for creatures rising the alarm, ambuscades or random encounters. The spell point pool this character had helped this character be less of an liability in these circumstances, but for large or long fights resource management was still important. I was struck by how the spell point system and the psionic power point system were the same, just using different wrappers (terminology).

After the end of that campaign we were looking for a new setting, and the magazines Dragon, Dungeon and Polyhedron did a cross over adventure called “Incursion!”, featuring Githyanki invaders. It was a precursor to the modern Adventure Paths, and it included psionics. After having run a spell point system in the D2 campaign I was more open to psionics and bought the psionics handbook. Some of players had their characters take levels in psionic classes, and it worked out fine for most.

The same player that played the necromancer wanted to play a Psion, and was keen on creating new powers. His approach was with psionics anything that one could think of could be accomplished with the mind, as opposed to magic which was limited by codified spells, rules and tradition, and relied on an outside source of power. My approach was that both systems use intellect or force of personality to access and control another source of power; the mind is not powerful enough to affect the world directly. We clashed a bit as I was using existing powers to set the power level and point cost of new powers and he wanted to create custom powers with specific effects, so limited in application that he felt the level and point cost should be lower. He was of the opinion that psionics should not be limited, essentially viewing psionics as superior to magic in every way. My concern was that if psionics were always the “better choice”, why would anyone ever play a spell-caster?

Around the time we were finishing that campaign, D&D 4e came out and we switched over to that system. I won’t go into my opinion of 4th edition here other than to say I think it is a fine game system, just not D&D. The new daily, encounter and at-will power system precluded spell or power points and I gradually returned to my dim view of psionics. I’m of the general opinion that there is no need for competing power systems in the same game, such as spell points as opposed to spell slots, or psionics to magic. It is difficult if not impossible to balance to power systems across 20 plus character levels. Melee combat and magic systems are difficult enough, but adding another system will only make it even more difficult.

The Vancian spell system has serious flaws, but its history and well established structure provides built in limitations and guidelines on creating new spells. That same structure is not unjustifiably viewed as restrictive by some, but inserting another, subjectively “better” system will imbalance the overall game even more. If and when psionics are added to 5e, I hope they reconsider power points and stick with a Vancian system. Or rewrite magic with spell points. Keep the peanut butter and chocolate separate. Sorry fans of Reeeses Peanut Butter Cups.
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)