Sign in to follow this  
Clearman

Straightening Bent Resin

Is resin able to be straightened?  I am assembling a kit and the sword (separate piece) has a noticeable curve.  It's a skinny piece of resin, but has some spring, but I don't want it to snap.   Does boiling water help ah-la bones?  Or am I sol? 

There's a lot of different resin formulas out there but generally speaking boiling water will help you straighten things. I've done it with some Forgeworld pieces I bought years ago and with some Smooth On resin that I cast myself. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zink said:

There's a lot of different resin formulas out there but generally speaking boiling water will help you straighten things. I've done it with some Forgeworld pieces I bought years ago and with some Smooth On resin that I cast myself. 

This.  Also the thickness of the piece is important.  The thicker the piece, the longer you need to have it in the boiling water.  But generally speaking resin is just a plastic, so heat will let you correct it's shape.

• Like 1

I have run into a couple of resins that boiling water is not hot enough, but it's rare.  For those a beat gun or getting close to a ceramic heater will work.  However, do this in a well ventilated area as potential fumes can be toxic.  Boiling water is the safest method and works for failcast (GW), reaper, trollcast, and every piece of Chinese resin I've ever run into.

• Like 1