DavePgh

Creature Colors?

Is there a generally accepted consensus on what colors different monster races are? The orcs I painted back in the day, I painted green. However, the DnD manual I was perusing the other day mentioned orcs having grey skin. Having seen Bright recently, that movie seems to back up the grey skinned orcs. Is there a list somewhere I could check out giving me an idea what color orcs, goblins, bugbears & the like might be? Appreciate the help!

A lot of these critters are different colors depending on the setting you're using them for. If you mean to use them for a specific game, check the rules/art for that game. if you don't have something specific in mind, just go with what looks good to you, or look through the inspiration gallery and see what other people have done.

• Like 1

Oh my, we had some lively conversations about this a while back.  

Original D&D orcs (i.e. “pig-faced orcs”) were described as greyish, I believe, and goblins were orangedammitorange!

Both mutated to bright green with the coming of WarHammer and WH 40K to these shores.

And now certain of the colors have shifted back.

Unless you are painting for a game where the color is set and really matters, I am of the opinion that you can paint them how you like.

• Like 7

Or put another way: the color preferences are more what you'd call guidelines. :)

Seriously though, even if you are going to be a GM in an RPG and want to paint critters up for it, I would say that as GM, you are free to change things as you need to. In my Pathfinder game for instance, the party has come across some blue skinned trolls primarily because I wanted to use some of my Trollblood models from Hordes for the game, so they got a couple of blue skinned trolls. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Orcs seem to vary a lot in their coloration. I've seen Red, Tan/dirty yellow, green, various shades of gray, jet black, gray-blue, blue, teal, and all of the various human skintones. As others have said, it really depends on preference and the what setting you're in.

I would say green is probably the stereotypical Orc color at this point. Although, even then, there's no established shade of green

• Like 1

If you go read the Monster Manual I & II it has some great descriptions in it. 

I like my gobbos to be green or orange or red. Kobolds Red or yellow or orange. Orcses I like grey, greenish grey, green, or even blue.

Buglips loves blue goblins, just ask him. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Loim said:

If you go read the Monster Manual I & II it has some great descriptions in it. 

I like my gobbos to be green or orange or red. Kobolds Red or yellow or orange. Orcses I like grey, greenish grey, green, or even blue.

Buglips loves blue goblins, just ask him. 

*Nods* the blue ones are the strongest, and they best exemplify goblinhood. It's true.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Unless you are painting for a game where the color is set and really matters, I am of the opinion that you can paint them how you like.

This!! 

Probably the best thing about this hobby, the freedom to do whatever you feel like doing.

• Like 5

In all seriousness, though, my gobbos start off green when they're young, and start to develop an orangeyness as they mature. Adults are fully orange, sometimes with a green speckledyness, and really old (or aged-by-experience) gobbos move toward the yellow side of things.

Orcs are white to black, always with a yellow-greenish tinge.

which is all to say, do what you like!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Illithar said:

Orcs seem to vary a lot in their coloration. I've seen Red, Tan/dirty yellow, green, various shades of gray, jet black, gray-blue, blue, teal, and all of the various human skintones. As others have said, it really depends on preference and the what setting you're in.

I would say green is probably the stereotypical Orc color at this point. Although, even then, there's no established shade of green

If your players are used to seeing green orcs it can be fun to mix things up.  The color might throw them off or give them pause. Maybe there's something different about blue orcs that they need to be more cautious of.  :poke:

• Like 5

Yeah, pretty much what others have said - pick a random color out of your paints and there's probably some edition of some game somewhere that says it's the canon color for whatever creature you're painting...

Personally, I don't mind green orcs, but the Jolly Rancher colors of the GW-style orks just look cheesy to me.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Illithar said:

Only need to look at Warcraft to see that there are at minimum three basic hues of orc. 

Fantasy races means that we can paint them however we want. Heck, we can paint anything whatever we want. I'm going to paint a lion blue in a Picasso style soon. 

If you have a campaign, perhaps pick a color theme and stick with it. Outside of that.... why does it matter? Do what you like. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When painting Warhammer Armies all my Orcs and Gobbos were green.

Now?

I paint for fun and display so I do whatever I want , just finished an Orc War Triceratops ( Hartha Rafm) and painted the Orc Crew red with a fuchsia highlight..

Because I liked it...that's all the reason I need nowadays to paint something a certain colour.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Inarah said:

If your players are used to seeing green orcs it can be fun to mix things up.  The color might throw them off or give them pause. Maybe there's something different about blue orcs that they need to be more cautious of.  :poke:

Beware the bluish-purple sparkly ones, for they seek all that is shiny!

• Like 2

I remember a Pinkolich...

(Never tell Ub3r he can't do something... )

There's a bubblegum dragon somewhere also.

Personally, I think Space Marines should be polka-dotted...

And we're having way too much fun with the Rainbow challenge... 

The rule here is 'Works for me!'

• Like 2