Reaper Ron

ReaperCon 2018 Hotel Booking Link

17 minutes ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

This mentions an evening reception 530-730. Where is that and what exactly is it? 

Pretty sure this is at the Hilton (Con location) & is sort of a happy hour per se.

2 minutes ago, haldir said:

Pretty sure this is at the Hilton (Con location) & is sort of a happy hour per se.

I am staying at the embassy suites by Hilton where the con is held so I'll be looking forward to it this is just my first year so not sure what everything is or where thank you! 

• Like 2

No worries. Best thing I think of, don't go into the Con thinking it'll be GenCon or Adepticon. Rcon is a smaller more intimate setting where we are there to celebrate Reaper & all things associated with them. 

• Like 2

I used to stay at Hilton hotels when I traveled for business. The reception was kind of a 'thank you for choosing our hotel' thing. The hotel  puts out a spread of food* (could be anything from a full blown meal to just cheese and crackers; I never did figure out the rhyme or reason for that). My best guess is that the decision was left to each individual hotel manager.

*=I have nothing to prove this will be the case for Reapercon, but it's the assumption that I am going to operate under.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 3:20 AM, haldir said:

No worries. Best thing I think of, don't go into the Con thinking it'll be GenCon or Adepticon. Rcon is a smaller more intimate setting where we are there to celebrate Reaper & all things associated with them. 

I prefer smaller cons which is one of the big reasons we are so excited about it we also love reaper and can't wait to meet everyone

• Like 2

So assuming I'm going, but the RCon rates are full, but regular rates are still available. Do we still get the ReaperCon goodies from staying at the Embassy Suites?

Also, what are the alternate hotels available. I recall seeing a mention of this on Facebook, but not on the official RCon page.

6 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

So assuming I'm going, but the RCon rates are full, but regular rates are still available. Do we still get the ReaperCon goodies from staying at the Embassy Suites?

Also, what are the alternate hotels available. I recall seeing a mention of this on Facebook, but not on the official RCon page.

I think it's a Fairfield or something along those lines. They are debating on whether or not to give the hotel goodie bag out for that one.

On 7/7/2018 at 10:53 AM, Chaoswolf said:

I used to stay at Hilton hotels when I traveled for business. The reception was kind of a 'thank you for choosing our hotel' thing. The hotel  puts out a spread of food* (could be anything from a full blown meal to just cheese and crackers; I never did figure out the rhyme or reason for that). My best guess is that the decision was left to each individual hotel manager.

*=I have nothing to prove this will be the case for Reapercon, but it's the assumption that I am going to operate under.

Agree!  Normal Hilton brands (Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn) typically hand you a goodie bag and a bottle of water if you're in the Honor's club, maybe a cookie at the front desk for all guests (but it's hit or miss).  Embassy Suites, however, have a "manager's reception" each night in the same place where they serve breakfast.  I travel in spurts for work and try to hit Embassy Suites when I can ... a few times (Anaheim) I've seen full meals (tacos, burger, frozen pizza, etc.) and/or a fully open bar (St. Louis).  On the low end (Las Vegas) it was simply chex mix, pretzels, and a keg of watery beer.  Some properties will do chips and finger-food for free, but have the kitchen open and wait staff taking orders if you want something more substantial (Baton Rouge). 

In general, it's worth checking out, and not a bad place to wait for your group to gather before going offsite for real food ... but generally not something you'd want to eat exclusively night-after-night at an extended stay.

*Disclaimers: I've never stayed at this particular Embassy Suites, and have no idea what they'll include or not, or how Reapercon will or won't affect their normal offerings.  My anecdotes by city are gathered over the past 10 years and likely aren't current practice.  Please don't plan/budget/scheme/fret based on my statements. :)

• Like 2

With the number of people who gather on Wed. night before the con I would be surprised if there's enough food to last more than 15 minutes.  I've been to my share of "receptions" and they expect people who are going to sip wine and nibble on hors d'ouvres, not a ravening horde of gamers. 

I hope the kitchen staff is ready for the breakfast rush Thursday morning. :) 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Inarah said:

With the number of people who gather on Wed. night before the con I would be surprised if there's enough food to last more than 15 minutes.  I've been to my share of "receptions" and they expect people who are going to sip wine and nibble on hors d'ouvres, not a ravening horde of gamers. 

I hope the kitchen staff is ready for the breakfast rush Thursday morning. :) 

… so, what you're saying is 'show up early'?

• Like 1