72moonglum

Hackmaster/Ral Partha ranger and female fighter

Nicely Done.

Like your color choices; however, the blending is superlative.

Very Very Well Done.

Jay

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wombat Warden said:

I bet the ranger sings "Stayin' Alive" when he goes into battle. ::P:

Always nice to have the chest hairs flowing in the open air as you disco into battle!

16 minutes ago, Jasonator said:

Nicely Done.

Like your color choices; however, the blending is superlative.

Very Very Well Done.

Jay

Thanks Jay, colors are always so tricky for me sometimes.  Any more they are just crazy instinctive choices that hopefully end up looking well together.

• Like 3

Wonderful colors! How did you get he "pastel" color look and feel to them, pray tell! Oh and the NMM is simply flawless and compliments your colors seamlessly! Wonderous! 

• Like 2

Love it!

I'm also interested in the formula of pastel color looks!

• Like 1

Awesome!  Everything on these look great!

I am just starting out really trying to paint NMM and while I am pretty pleased with my results it looks nothing like yours!  Do you mind sharing what colors you used?

I also really love the placement of your highlights!  I am getting better with highlighting but still feel that I don't always place them in the correct spots. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VolksFest said:

Wonderful colors! How did you get he "pastel" color look and feel to them, pray tell! Oh and the NMM is simply flawless and compliments your colors seamlessly! Wonderous! 

Thanks guys for all the kind words.  I'm not really sure if it's a conscious effort to reach that "pastel" look, but as far as technique, I lay down a base color that I want, let's say with the ranger's cloak (I think it was misty green or pale lichen, don't quite remember but should really start keeping track) and then I start grabbing progressively darker colors, in this case darker greens, until I get to the darkest green I want too use and then after that I'll usually start using the dark elf skin, dark shadow, and after those dark elf shadow and walnut browns as my final washes.  Once I get to the darkest color, then I start working up from my base color from the highlights either with lighter versions of the same color (if I used misty green as my base, then I might highlight with pale lichen for example). Once my lightest highlight color is done, then I take that color and either start mixing it with white or a linen white or a creamy ivory and continue t the highlighting  until my last layer which is almost always white. 

1 hour ago, NecroMancer said:

Awesome!  Everything on these look great!

I am just starting out really trying to paint NMM and while I am pretty pleased with my results it looks nothing like yours!  Do you mind sharing what colors you used?

I also really love the placement of your highlights!  I am getting better with highlighting but still feel that I don't always place them in the correct spots. 

As far as metals,  at least "silver", I've been lately starting off with ashen blue, then soft blue washes, then dark elf skin, then dark shadow, then dark elf shadow, then finally black.  Once I've finished my washes, I start my highlights, so I'll usually highlight again with the ashen blue, then either go straight to rainy grey or a mix of rainy grey and ashen blue 50/50,  after that pure rainy grey, then usually misty white, and after that ghost white, and ending up with white.  Those layers for highlighting are usually pretty thin, and sometimes I don't exactly build up to the white as strongly as I'd like to but I'm working on that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I recently had to do an IWM order on account of finding out my Silver & Steel set has two miscasts missing their feet.  Since I bought them like 14 years ago, and completely forgot to buy Katana girl in any case, I figured just as well to buy all three fresh (I made a note for them to inspect the casts to ensure feet).

Anyway, as it had been some time since I ordered from IWM, I was peeking around and saw these hackmaster figures and had no idea what they were - only that they were clearly Partha in the style to which I am accustomed.  They're pretty cool.  If they are older figs, they were completely off my radar until now.

You did a good job on them, once I've made sure my S&S set is complete with feet I might go back and get some of these hackmaster ones. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      So an EDIT:  I changed up the photos and added one more different view because I took them from a slightly lower angle

So it looks like Frost Giants are all the rage these days on the forums, so I'll add one more, eventually two.  I have been watching Patrick Keith's frost giant queen ever since she came out on the Bones Kickstarter and got her not too long ago, but didn't feel that I could actually start on her until I got some of my older frost giant pieces out of the way. The first two on the docket are John Dennett's classic Frost Giants from the Grenadier's Giant's Club, where each giant set came with the piece of a map and an obelisk. I'm not sure if after collecting all these you were able to send them in for something?

Anyhoos, here is the female frost giant, one of my all time favorite figures. I'm working still on the male frost giant who is a little more labor intensive, but I'll get him finished one of these days hopefully soon.

and some of the face's close ups because I think I took the farther away photos from a higher angle which didn't quite capture the face.

One thing I've found out especially towards the end of this project is that super glue and tight spaces really don't match and I managed to get the snow around and in a few places where it shouldn't be, including over the left hand's fingernails, which I took painstaking time and effort to make nice, only to get them covered by snow.

The snow I used came from some modeling snow I had bought years ago. Up until now I'd been using baking soda for my snow effect, but I worried a bit that over the time it might yellow (time will tell I guess) and it would not look so nice in a few years. 

In case anybody's interested, here’s the WIP I've been working with:
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/81156-grenadier-frost-giants/
      where you can also see ongoing process on the male as well.

Anyhows, I hope you all enjoy taking a gander as much as I enjoyed painting her!

• By Chris Palmer
      This past week, I painted Kassandra of the Blade from the Bones 3 Core Set.   A couple weeks ago, I found myself painting up a Disney Monopoly Snow White figure to command a unit of Dwarf Miners (Long story you can read about here: Princess Snow), and I was really struck by the simple but effective primary color scheme of Snow White's outfit.  I immediately decided I wanted to paint a Bones female fighter figure with the same palette.

So, I pawed through my boxes of unpainted Bones, and fell upon Kassandra of the Blade as the most suitable of what I had.    The one thing I didn't like about her was the dual-wielding of swords.  So I decided to chop off her left hand and replace it before I started painting her.
            Then came the decision of what to replace it with.  I considered a shield for a while, then in looking through my box of Bones transplant donors I came across Sarah the Seeress, whose staff had gone to make my Highland Heroine into a Frostgrave Appentice, leaving her with just her left hand holding an orb of some sort. At first I thought, no, why would Snow White be holding a crystal ball; but then it hit me: paint it like an apple.      So it was an easy matter to cut off Kssandra's left hand at the wrist and glue on Sarah's hand with the orb.

And here's the final result.  I'm really happy with how it turned out, and probably it's one of the best faces I've done to date.

Fhttp://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2018/07/kassandra-of-blade-bones-3-figure.htmlull painting article on my blog:  
    • By 72moonglum
      Okey dokey, this one I finished this morning, an old knight from Ral Partha.  I think it's sculpted by Julie Guthrie, but not 100% sure.  My biggest problem was what to put on the shield, and my freehand is pretty rudimentary, sonot so perfectly sure how it came out.

Anyhow, hope you guys enjoy him.

• By 72moonglum
      Hi all,
      a figure I just finished yesterday (or so I thought).  This is the Ral Partha Town Constable, and I was kind of intrigued by him, as he isn't a very heroic or noble looking figure, he looks  a little bit lost, so I contacted Iron Wind and asked them if he was supposed to represent somebody and lo and behold, he is actually based on Tim Conway, and the figure at the time that was sold in his blister, a cowardly paladin, was based off of Don Knots. Who would have known?
      So I took these pictures yesterday quickly at lunch and posted them out where I usually do on Instagram, and as I looked at them, I noticed I had forgotten to paint something. So today's quiz is what did I forget to paint? To make it easier you can see it on the picture from behind.  Hopefully I don't get now 147 other things that I forgot to paint, but we'll see.

Anyhoos, enjoy and happy Independence day to all you gringos!
  • Who's Online   24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)