72moonglum

Hackmaster/Ral Partha ranger and female fighter

Nicely Done.

Like your color choices; however, the blending is superlative.

Very Very Well Done.

Jay

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wombat Warden said:

I bet the ranger sings "Stayin' Alive" when he goes into battle. ::P:

Always nice to have the chest hairs flowing in the open air as you disco into battle!

16 minutes ago, Jasonator said:

Nicely Done.

Like your color choices; however, the blending is superlative.

Very Very Well Done.

Jay

Thanks Jay, colors are always so tricky for me sometimes.  Any more they are just crazy instinctive choices that hopefully end up looking well together.

• Like 3

Wonderful colors! How did you get he "pastel" color look and feel to them, pray tell! Oh and the NMM is simply flawless and compliments your colors seamlessly! Wonderous! 

• Like 2

Love it!

I'm also interested in the formula of pastel color looks!

• Like 1

Awesome!  Everything on these look great!

I am just starting out really trying to paint NMM and while I am pretty pleased with my results it looks nothing like yours!  Do you mind sharing what colors you used?

I also really love the placement of your highlights!  I am getting better with highlighting but still feel that I don't always place them in the correct spots. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VolksFest said:

Wonderful colors! How did you get he "pastel" color look and feel to them, pray tell! Oh and the NMM is simply flawless and compliments your colors seamlessly! Wonderous! 

Thanks guys for all the kind words.  I'm not really sure if it's a conscious effort to reach that "pastel" look, but as far as technique, I lay down a base color that I want, let's say with the ranger's cloak (I think it was misty green or pale lichen, don't quite remember but should really start keeping track) and then I start grabbing progressively darker colors, in this case darker greens, until I get to the darkest green I want too use and then after that I'll usually start using the dark elf skin, dark shadow, and after those dark elf shadow and walnut browns as my final washes.  Once I get to the darkest color, then I start working up from my base color from the highlights either with lighter versions of the same color (if I used misty green as my base, then I might highlight with pale lichen for example). Once my lightest highlight color is done, then I take that color and either start mixing it with white or a linen white or a creamy ivory and continue t the highlighting  until my last layer which is almost always white. 

1 hour ago, NecroMancer said:

Awesome!  Everything on these look great!

I am just starting out really trying to paint NMM and while I am pretty pleased with my results it looks nothing like yours!  Do you mind sharing what colors you used?

I also really love the placement of your highlights!  I am getting better with highlighting but still feel that I don't always place them in the correct spots. 

As far as metals,  at least "silver", I've been lately starting off with ashen blue, then soft blue washes, then dark elf skin, then dark shadow, then dark elf shadow, then finally black.  Once I've finished my washes, I start my highlights, so I'll usually highlight again with the ashen blue, then either go straight to rainy grey or a mix of rainy grey and ashen blue 50/50,  after that pure rainy grey, then usually misty white, and after that ghost white, and ending up with white.  Those layers for highlighting are usually pretty thin, and sometimes I don't exactly build up to the white as strongly as I'd like to but I'm working on that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I recently had to do an IWM order on account of finding out my Silver & Steel set has two miscasts missing their feet.  Since I bought them like 14 years ago, and completely forgot to buy Katana girl in any case, I figured just as well to buy all three fresh (I made a note for them to inspect the casts to ensure feet).

Anyway, as it had been some time since I ordered from IWM, I was peeking around and saw these hackmaster figures and had no idea what they were - only that they were clearly Partha in the style to which I am accustomed.  They're pretty cool.  If they are older figs, they were completely off my radar until now.

You did a good job on them, once I've made sure my S&S set is complete with feet I might go back and get some of these hackmaster ones. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now