Sign in to follow this  
Clearman

Diorama Advice

Who here is familiar with the old Ral Partha set 'Bridge of Sorrows' 10-451? 

I dug mine out yesterday, on a whim, and I'm thinking about finally paint it.  Again. I say again because this is probably the third or forth time I've tried,  dating back to its original release in the late 80s. I have gotten farther on this attempt as I have just finished taking it back to bare metal and cleaning off all the super glue residue.

My question now relates to presentation.  The main part of the base is the bridge.  But it's a bridge to nowhere, ending at mid-span.  To me this makes for a weird setup, and I don't really have an idea for how to deal with it.

Has anyone worked on this guy before?  

• Like 3

Metalchaos painted this one a few years back...

Unfortunately, the link he posted to the WIP thread from Seer of the Pitt isn't of any help, the pics there have fallen victim to the Photobucket massacre.

I suppose you could sculpt some extra ruined stones onto the far edge of the bridge to make it look like the rest collapsed...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5

I found some pics on the internet that might give you inspiration how to handle this.

image.thumb.png.d1bf3489ebd310385f424a1232cdebd3.pngimage.thumb.png.a6be53bb64ff539225e45a27e7080dc6.pngimage.png.0e80ef366cd820ab55057caf5662720f.png

• Like 5

Thanks.  I had seen the first and third picture; they seem have just went with the bridge to nowhere.  The second one went all in on sculpting a complete world.  I like the second one, but well out of my capabilities right now.  I like features from both #1 and #3.  Gives me something to think about. 

I also forgot about the restraints on the front posts.  This gives it a sacrificial post feel, so the bridge may not actually need to go anywhere.  It could actually be a roost for the beast to land to claim it's prize.  Also something to think about.

• Like 1

Wow! That was eons ago, 23 years... If you're willing to go for it, I think building the other end of the bridge will make a much prettier diorama display. Foam stones over a wooden frame will do. My other advice it to add and extra support on each side of the wyvern's tail. The tail is so thin it barely holds the weight of the beasty. Like I mention on my Bridge of Sorrows post "I had to carve two blocks of stone out of green stuff to support the Wyvern because after some time it started to lean on the side".

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Metalchaos said:

Wow! That was eons ago, 23 years... If you're willing to go for it, I think building the other end of the bridge will make a much prettier diorama display. Foam stones over a wooden frame will do. My other advice it to add and extra support on each side of the wyvern's tail. The tail is so thin it barely holds the weight of the beasty. Like I mention on my Bridge of Sorrows post "I had to carve two blocks of stone out of green stuff to support the Wyvern because after some time it started to lean on the side".

When you say 'foam stones', are you thinking about something carved out of XPS foam, or layerd EVA foam?

I see what you did with the blocks under the tail.  How much time passed before you noticed it leaning?  I've never had the wyvern fully assembled with the wings, but the body/tail by itself seemed fine.

On 10/01/2018 at 11:18 AM, Clearman said:

When you say 'foam stones', are you thinking about something carved out of XPS foam, or layerd EVA foam?

I see what you did with the blocks under the tail.  How much time passed before you noticed it leaning?  I've never had the wyvern fully assembled with the wings, but the body/tail by itself seemed fine.

Sorry for the delay. XPS foam will be perfect, you can than texture some area with glued sand before painting. Make sure to use acrylic paint or primer on foam as other paint will melt it.

It took several years for the tail to bend under the weight of the body. The fact that the model was display on a shelf exposed to the sun during most of the day proably didn't help.

• Like 1