Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Darklands: Starter Hosts II

About

Check the comments on this project for sneak peeks, Darklands lore, hints, tactics, painting advice and general insanity! The community that builds during these Kickstarter projects is amazing, and even if you just read the comments, you'll gain so much more from Darklands: Starter Hosts!

4a265c1b9562f241e84a3a88a8914d25_origina

-

e9229d1ce4bf874503cf043e804289f6_origina

Backing Darklands: Starter Hosts II is a great opportunity to get into the dark fantasy world of Darklands for the first time, to expand your existing Darklands collection or maybe just to grab some fantastic miniatures to paint.

Eoric's Pack, Werwulf Unit Eoric's Pack, Werwulf Unit

We'll give you the option to purchase everything in resin, too, if you're more of a painter than a gamer!

b3430d003a0bbbd65ce1c0a307caefde_origina

Darklands is a tabletop skirmish wargame in which YOU command the hosts of man and beast that your ancestors once did for glory, power or simple survival.

You can play Darklands with all of our amazing miniatures, including our incredible monsters and anything produced by this project, in a wargame designed specifically for them in a setting that you already know a lot about... for the lands of darkness, the "dark lands" as we call them, are in fact the north and west of Europe and of course the sunken lands still remembered, yet no longer seen, from ancient times.

39b64d15e21ef5ca5d3ccd211d302278_origina

Intrigued? Download the Darklands: First Edition Quick Play Guide to learn how to play very quickly, and have a good look at the Lands of Darkness Kindred Guide to give you an insight into the lore behind the game.

f9b2feb026107651ada468f655624a1c_origina

Additionally, have a look at the bottom of this project's page for more information on Darklands the wargame!

9304a63858807c6a1d52efc498704e58_origina

New to Darklands? Choose your infantry host, and get the "STARTER BUNDLE" reward!

87ae2490158e641bfb82c5e1961621c4_origina

It's the easiest way to get playing!

5f346456e11d01c4cea83fa08681e3a8_origina

To keep things as simple as possible, this project’s rewards are based around the concept of a Starter Host. All Starter Hosts contain a small Darklands host of around 499 gold - so Encounter Host size - where possible, and you can add the Darklands: First Edition rule book, order tokens and D10 dice to your pledge to ensure you have everything you need to get started!

As well as the hosts listed in the stretch goals, you can purchase any of the Infantry Starter Hosts in metal or resin from the graphic below - either as single purchases or as part of the "FIVE INFANTRY HOSTS" reward.

Available Infantry Starter Hosts

Most of these Infantry Starter Hosts are already released to the public; new ones will be released to the public in similar format either later on this year or early next.

Each Infantry Starter Host almost always contains:

• 1x Commander
  • 1x Infantry Unit of 10x miniatures, including champion, banner bearer and herald where appropriate
  • 1x Monstrous Infantry Unit of 5x warriors (50mm) or 3x warriors (60mm)

Note that 60mm monstrous infantry units (such as the Srónax) can only be produced in resin regardless of whether your purchase is for a metal host or a resin host.

Here's the Infantry Starter Hosts you can fund for this project!

ae08b446ca068deb0f63f7292116e0e8_origina

The Anglecynn Werwulf Infantry Starter Host includes digital resculpts of Hrōr (in progress), Eoric's Pack (complete) and Wulfric's Pack (forthcoming) by Bob Płociennik. Both Hrōr and Eoric's Pack will come with four weapon combinations - sword and claw, sword and shield, spear and claw and spear and shield. Wulfric's Pack will come with three weapon options - claws, sword and claw and great claws.

2e80239455154f14f43d7bbc10b6ac43_origina

Support Starter Hosts are exactly the same as Infantry Hosts in terms of costs, and always contain:

• 1x Support Commander
  • 1x Support Unit of 10x miniatures, including champion
  • 1x Monstrous Support Unit of 3x warriors, including champion

Note that 60mm or 80mm monstrous infantry units (such as the Bholg of Acaill) can only be produced in resin regardless of whether your purchase is for a metal host or a resin host.

Available Support Starter Hosts 

Some of these Support Starter Hosts are already released to the public; new ones will be released to the public in similar format either later on this year or early next.

Here's the Infantry Starter Hosts you can fund for this project!

eaf430c1f5c1cf4848db05f1196eb3a4_origina

The Anglecynn Werwulf Hunter Support Starter Host includes digital resculpts of Hrōr with a bow, called Hunter Hrōr (in progress), two units of Sigewulf's Pack and a unit of Eoric's Packby Bob Płociennik. Eoric's Pack will come with four weapon combinations - sword and claw, sword and shield, spear and claw and spear and shield.

There's also a deal for those who want more than one host, in the shape of the FIVE INFANTRY HOSTS bundle (which can be either infantry hosts or support hosts). Save loads of money on your infantry and support hosts if you grab this!

4f5fcc488342974b0ddce6c72fae5a78_origina

0fa609e9d79587cadf5e73f350698a90_origina

There's a deal for the infantry and support units within those hosts, too - the FIVE INFANTRY UNITS bundle!

Edited by SamuraiJack

FYI there have been no updates at all about the Savage Hordes IV KS since it funded except the 'pledge manager' post and a note about existing minis being removed from it.

Zero sculpting. Last non-update in September.

• Like 1

They actually caught up a bit on my backlog with them. I think I am only missing the huge skeleton siege guy.

Their updates are certainly sporadic but I think they are working on stuff. I have mixed feelings on mierce. Great minis with tons of detail. Long wait times with sub par communication. Questionable business model since they seem to like the whole kickstarter for another wave of stuff. I will definitely keep a eye on it but I really wonder if they are budgeting correctly. And if they are, maybe the sculptors are taking their sweet time?

• Like 1

Apparently December is a slow period for sculpting since people take vacations and stuff.  Plus, they are turning the vast majority of the sculpting over to their in-house guy now, so he has a huge backlog of things to get done.  Most of the models in this project are resculpts of existing models that he is doing.

Mierce is also in the process of getting their own 3d printer it seems.  So that should help with getting those digital sculpts printed faster so they can get to the mold making faster too.

That being said, I'm not interested in the things on offer here so far.  So only in for £1 simply to keep my pledge history going.

I'm down to only being owed 2 models from SH3 which are not due until October.  They seem to be really focusing on getting caught up on overdue stuff and getting it out the door.. liking the work of the in house sculptor a lot.. nothing here for me so far.. but he keeps finding new ways to create Jutes I need... 

• Like 1

I really like this one, tbh. I get a chance to get the books at a discounted rate. And so far they've been good with their stuff from what I've seen, but definitely slow to update. I get the feeling it's a small business