Disserrma

77163 Male Storm Giant

Very nice!

A little C&C, if I may.  I don't know if your photos just washed it out but I would just work on deepening the shadows and highlight the skin a little more to accentuate his muscles more.  Skin is tricky though, especially human skin.  Some pink, red, or rose (very thin)glazes in the shadow areas may help to bring the muscles out.

Overall really nice job!  The eyes do look great! 

• Like 3

Thank you and C&C is always appreciated!  I've been working on my shading and highlighting, I found that I tend to understate both and yeah skin has definitely been harder for me to fix this tendency.  I will keep your suggestions in mind!

• Like 1

You still may be able to straighten the sword a bit more. Maybe us a hair dryer to heat the sword and straighten and then stick him in the freezer with something to hold the sword in the position you want.

The eyes look very nice, well done! He does have an expressive face. Thanks for sharing him!

• Like 1

I initially had the same problem with the storm giant's sword.  I put the unpainted miniature into boiling water for a few minutes.  When I took it out, I held the sword in an overcorrected position then plunged it into ice water while still holding the sword in position.  The sword slightly drooped from the position where I held it, but that left it at close to the right position.  I find this works really well with reshaping Bones overall, especially for straightening them on warped bases.  I also find that after cleaning them in boiling water, application of the first coat of paint is much easier.  

You have to be super careful when using boiling water, of course.  With small minis, they cool off very quickly once removed from the water.  With a large mini like the storm giant, they hold onto a lot more heat so you need to hold them carefully.  I generally use a strainer to put them in/lift them out of the boiling water.

I've never tried this with a miniature which is already painted and I wouldn't recommend it.  It might help you with a future project, though.

Well done on the paint job, by the way.  I have yet to tackle this one as I find holding the larger miniatures a challenge.

Geoff

5a5a343cba6e1_77163MaleStormGiant.gif.f2bc0e64f101070fc9b0153c304034be.gif

77163 Male Storm Giant.jpg

Edited by Geoff Davis
Included two photos by mistake.
  • Like 3

I have straightened a couple of already painted minis. For me it worked as well as before painting but I can't say for sure if it's 100% safe on the paint job. I did it on not fancily paints swords so wasn't to worried if it had gone badly.

• Like 2

With this mini you could probably submerge only his sword and arm up to the wrist if you were very careful.  There would be less risk to the rest of the paint job.