Sign in to follow this  
atomicpunk

The Future of Metal

Not really sure where to put this question but this seems as good as any place.

Is reaper done making metal minis? I own well over 100 legendary and warlord mini's as all as most of the old dragons all in pewter and much prefer pewter to the bones line. I'm mostly interested in the beautiful new dragons that reapers been turning out, and will be with the next bones 4

Edited by atomicpunk

Reaper still makes metal minis and have pretty regular new releases.

On 2017-10-10 at 1:10 PM, ladystorm said:
The following new release items have a release date of Monday October 23, 2017.

Reaper Special Edition Miniatures
01450  All Hallow's Eve by Bobby Jackson $11.49
01610 25th Anniversary Lysette by Werner Klocke $10.99
01613 ReaperCon 2017 Sophie $17.99
01614 Con Crud, ReaperCon Zombie $6.99

Dark Heaven Legends Fantasy Metal Miniatures
03839  Vampire Lord by Bob Ridolfi $6.99
03840  Graveflesh Servant (Male) by Bob Ridolfi $6.99
03841  Graveflesh Servant (Female) by Bob Ridolfi $6.99
03842  Sethis, Mummy King by Bob Ridolfi $7.99

Officially Licensed Pathfinder Metal Miniatures
60205  Barzillai Thrune by Derek Schubert $7.99
60206  Octavio Sabinus by Derek Schubert $7.99

Plus Reaper has hundreds of minis from several of their lines that you can browse through and order at their online store: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore

Large minis like the newer Bones dragons you mentioned would likely be too expensive and/or too difficult to cast in metal so I wouldn't expect to see that happen.

In fact several of the larger older metal dragons are no longer in production but many have been converted to Bones.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 5

I think ReaperBryan or someone made some calculations about the weight and cost of one of the new dragons, somewhere in the Bones 3 enthusiasm thread.

It was sobering reading... 

With todays rising metal costs, I'm afraid that the era of large metal dragons are long past.

BTW: Welcome to the asylumforum!

• Like 5

Reaper is still producing metal miniatures, and comes out with new metal minis nearly every month.

Here's a link to the list of the most recent releases: 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

I was wondering if Reaper's metal miniatures are being phased out in favour of the Bones resin. It seems like there are more Bones releases than metal lately. This is probably unfounded, but I'd like to check.

I am totally not anything special or anyone connected to Reaper, but as far as I understand Reaper is not planning to get out of the metal figures business. 

What Reaper has is a backlog of hundreds of new PVC figures from the last (tremendously successful) Kickstarter, which it has been releasing in batches, alongside its usual (so far as I can tell) pace of metal releases.

For example, here’s Ladystorm’s announcement of the new (metal) releases coming out at the end of January.

• Like 3

Just my own opinion but I think the reason why it seems like there are more Bones released is because large batches are being brought in from the Bones 3 kickstarter. When there isn't a Kickstarter, I don't think new Bones are made and released. New metal minis seem to be released at a steady pace. So right now, yes, it does seem like there are a lot of Bones being put into the line up because there are. Once all of the Bones 3 have been added to the catalog, new Bones releases should die off until Bones 4 delivers.

• Like 2

It seems that Reaper releases two waves of minis a month.  The first is Bones (getting the KS minis released into distribution) and the second being all metal.  I'm sure that once the Bones are all released, it will shift back to all metal again.  Pretty sure that is what has happened after each KS.

• Like 2

if you're on Dakka, they have an entire thread for Reaper releases, and there's definitely love for metal. Metal holds more details, and lets a company produce smaller runs. 

Myself, I think metal's overrated and can only be realized by display-level painters (who don't buy as many miniatures as plastaholics, anyway), but it's "customer perceived value" is certainly higher than plastic.

• Like 2

Don't forget that Reaper is launching the first in a new all metal line of minis this month called Dungeon Dwellers inspired by the old school sculpts.

• Like 4

And how could we forget, but many of the smaller Bones figures are remakes of older metal figures. Some of the dragons are as well - isn't Deathsleet originally a metal dragon? Now Deathsleet is in Bones. I think that a lot of the backlog is due to recreating old models. Bones is the material for new big stuff, but it is less often the material for new small stuff (sometimes, but not as often). 

Metal is sticking around, imo. 

• Like 3

Metal will never die!!!

Both the music and the minis!

I paint for display/fun, I have a lot of Bones but also lots of metal.

• Like 5

The new line is not only inspired by classic minis(Oldhammer), but have also removed the Broccoli base which drastically reduces the weight of the minis, so they should also be cheaper than comparable DHL minis. (Price is a concern for many)

You can't manufacture as many minis with a rubber mould meant for metal as you can with a steel mould meant for Bonesium, and you can't produce them as fast, either. (With metal minis this is solved by making several 'master' minis which are used to create one or more production moulds each. )

But the time from finished sculpt to production-ready mould is dramatically lower for a metal mini, particularly for a company like Reaper who does all the steps in-house.

And setup time(the time it takes to swap out moulds) is near instant with metal minis, but takes much longer for steel moulds.

This means that it's cost-prohibitive to do short production runs of specific Bones minis.

(I'm guessing that's what felled Kaladrax.  )

• Like 3

I think Reaper would lose allot of fans/customers if they were to do away with metal completely, TBH. 

I for one am a mixed fan when it comes to Bones. Nice for the price but details lack on smaller ones. Big Bones, I'm definitely a fan for sure. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, haldir said:

I think Reaper would lose allot of fans/customers if they were to do away with metal completely, TBH. 

I for one am a mixed fan when it comes to Bones. Nice for the price but details lack on smaller ones. Big Bones, I'm definitely a fan for sure. 

My thoughts exactly!

• Like 2