Cyradis

WIP: Dreamy Blue Lion Bust by Cyr

Great eyes!

I love busts!

Looking forward to see how you do this..

Also some inspirational pics for you

Spoiler

3081bfbdea8a877af9286ff915ea79e6--lion-pfantasy-art-lion-used-photoshop-intuos-t

• Like 5

More blue!! More base coating and some preliminary dark areas - tons more to do there. 

I discovered that Heather Blue looks totally gross as the mellowing hue for Dragon Blue. Midnight Blue and Twilight blue do well though. 

1515873384483418232133.jpg

• Like 19

Just now, Sirithiliel said:

Nice! I wouldn’t mind trying my hand at a animal bust (humanoid busts never interested me much )

looking good so far

He wasn't a costly one. 16pounds. However, shipping took a while, and casting quality is so-so. Also not mounted so I had to build that part and I don't have great tools for it. I am holding him by two nails that are loosely elmer's glued and sticky tacked to the back, and will be removed when it is time to mount this. 

I chose a critter for easier practice before tackling my human busts. Hopefully I can hide less-smooth transition areas in fur texturing lol. 

Blue is... because I wanted to. 

• Like 5

Figone. I think it is one that the owner of Figone sculpted instead of distributing for another company.

• Like 1

If you order, just be prepared for a bit of a wait. Not CMON bad... but it seems like Figone is run as a one-man show, and from what I read, he lives in a small area of France and has a two hour bike ride to where he ships from, so he only ships every two weeks. If he misses one, you get a longer wait. Not a bad fellow, and did communicate when I inquired, but I wouldn't order stuff on a deadline. 

• Like 2

Cyr!

I love where this is going!

14 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

looking at their site, that cape buffalo is tempting, i've always thought of them as really cool, majestic animals

There also very mean and vindictive!

Considered to be one of the most dangerous animals in fact.

And they will remember you!

That aside, yes beautiful animals.

I have been thinking about these busts as well, but right now I have like 12 busts waiting unpainted..

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

There also very mean and vindictive!

Considered to be one of the most dangerous animals in fact.

And they will remember you!

That aside, yes beautiful animals.

I have been thinking about these busts as well, but right now I have like 12 busts waiting unpainted..

that's part of their charm! nothing more entertaining to me to see bully lions getting chased by that which they tried to hunt.

Plus buffalo will RESCUE each other. how cool is that? Instead of just fleeing when a fellow buffalo is being attacked, they'll come charging in as a huge group

there, i ordered it. I only have 2 busts, the dragons from RCon, so this'll be another i can try my hand at

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

that's part of their charm! nothing more entertaining to me to see bully lions getting chased by that which they tried to hunt.

Plus buffalo will RESCUE each other. how cool is that? Instead of just fleeing when a fellow buffalo is being attacked, they'll come charging in as a huge group

there, i ordered it. I only have 2 busts, the dragons from RCon, so this'll be another i can try my hand at

Looking forward to see it!

I recently painted a Boxer Dog bust as my pet Brutus.( see Sig)

A few years ago I got challenged by Ub3r to paint a bust or large scale mini, I have grown fond of these since then.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mckenna35
      Some pretty good deals in the early bird specials:
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/399883540/orc-warband-collectors-by-yedharo-and-gt-studio-cr

Offering 30mm, 70mm, Busts and 1/10 () Scale figures.  Something for everyone!  

I got the early bird 4 bust deal.  FWIW I have some of their earlier figures and they've been very good quality.
    • By bluecrowlaura
      Okay, so I may never go back to painting 30 mm...! JK, but I did seriously enjoy painting this bust. It's my first, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

It's Joaquin Palacios' "Drogor" and it was also my first attempt at using the airbrush. I used it to do a shaded basecoat, and then brushed the rest using a combination of Vallejo, Master Series, and Golden acrylic paints. I wanted a strong directional light source, and I think I achieved it fairly well (comments and tips are much appreciated.) Given my 2D painting background, I use glazes pretty heavily, as you can probably tell.

Anyone know of a domestic source for nice wood bases? I've ordered a few from Sockelmacher, but they will take sooo looong to get here. This is just a chunk of balsa I used to paint on and he needs something nicer. 

Happy painting!
      Laura

• By Mckenna35
      Sunshine figure Bust Kickstarter is live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sunshinefigures/girls-girls-girls-1?ref=discovery&term=SUNSHINE FIGURES

I'll probably back for a couple.  Sucks being broke!
    • By Cyradis
      A certain platypus managed to snag a Maiden Bust on my behalf.

I love the sculpt. The casting is... meh. Sorry Reaper, metal is working better for you than resin. The resin had funky tiny chunks on parts, edge of the hand and rose are odd, and lips are a little rough on the edges. Mostly rough edges. I cleaned what I could, and am using gloss varnish on other odd bits to smooth them, but I can't get it all. 

But in the slightly funky surface, I saw an opportunity. What if she wasn't quite a maiden? What if she was kinda... dead? Not all the way dead. Just becoming dead or undead, as if from a curse. And the rose is the only thing holding the curse at bay. 

So maybe Cyr is crazy. Maybe Cyr is going to paint something awesome. 

So far she has gray primer, dabs of gloss varnish, eyes, maiden flesh on one side, dusky flesh on the other, and a base coated rose. 

Her live area will be blonde. Her dead side will have "white" hair, and a blackish rose. 

The dusky skin and the vallejo nocturna white flesh are amazingly similar in tone, but very different in feel. Right now the difference is subtle, but as I shade it, the live side will get more rosy and warm, while the dead side will become more gaunt and sullen, like a starving vampire. 

At least... that's the plan. 

Think I can pull it off?

• By Darcstaar
      This was my entry for the Quarterly Bones Reaper Fan Facebook Painting Contest.
      The Angel of Shadow.  She was good enough for an Honorable Mention (Thanks Reaper Matt)!
      For the prior contest, I liked how people were getting interesting light effects by using a black backdrop, so I tried that.
      Another reason I wanted to do it was to see if I could put her on a standard gaming base, supported by a rod painted black to fade into the backdrop, to give her a good illusion of flying.
      Also, this was my first attempt at Monochrome.  My final idea was to do a weapon swap to a wand (A cross-looking weapon from the BONES 3 Weapon Sprue), and sculpted my take on Acid Arrow, painting it green as the only color on the model, like those stunning black and white photos with colored flowers, etc.  I would say I'm a much better painter than sculptor

Her paints used

As time wore down, I had to abandon thoughts of OSL, so I made it seem like her lantern had died out and the spell didn't cast much light.

Here are some other photos against an out-of-focus rug to show some tighter details.
      I tried to put some texture into the fabric of her dress, which was another first.

C&C Welcome!

• Who's Online   14 Members, 1 Anonymous, 129 Guests (See full list)