Sign in to follow this  
Painting Dog

Airbrush Paint Finish Woes

I picked up a Badger Patriot airbrush at the last ReaperCon, mostly with the thought of how it would help when priming / basecoating the big Bones models. While I've done quite a bit of successful priming with it (big and small), I got brave today and tried out basecoating my first big piece. 

Bleh. :down:

I ended up with a very grainy surface, unlike in my previous efforts, and am now looking at Simple Greening the whole model to start over.  I know it must have something to do with the thinness of the paint, or my distance from the model, or something -- I just have no clue what it is I did wrong. 

Help?

Edited by Painting Dog

Grainy generally means the paint dried too much before it hit the model. Too far away is a likely cause. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @Gadgetman!. I've been using Liquetex airbrush thinner so far, which seems to work well. If getting in a little closer doesn't solve the issue, I'll give the Vallejo a try. 

Edited by Painting Dog

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ThirstyBob
      So today when I started airbrushing, I noticed that after I sprayed a bit the pressure on the tank was dropping, which made it difficult to get an even coverage. I'd start at around 15psi, and it would hold for a couple seconds, then drop steadily until it was down at 5psi. Turning up the pressure did not help, it still dropped psi. I took out the needle and checked and cleaned it and the rest of the ab, then tried just shooting air through, without needle or anything but the nozzle lever. Same result. Seals are airtight at least until I start shooting air through. I have a Paasche TG-3F, bought it with the compressor in a package deal, compressor has a humidity filter on it.

EDIT: Just noticed that while air is going through the airbrush, adjusting the pressure does nothing at all. I can turn it up or down and it stays at 5psi. Unless I reduce the pressure below 5psi, then it goes down. Adjusting the pressure when I release the airbrush changes psi normally.
    • By ThirstyBob
      Finished Cthulhu on Saturday, I think I'm learning to overcome my fear of highlighting too far, I still didn't go as light as people said I should. Some say you can go practically to white, but I am very hesitant to try that. I think I've made progress though. C&C welcome!

Soft Lighting---

Harsh Lighting, to show detail----

And WIP thread if anyone is interested...

• By ThirstyBob
      Got my start on Cthulhu last week. Did a prime in black, then zenithal pre-shade white from above. Purple from below, then green from above. Liking the effect so far, think I'm done with the airbrush, gonna move on to regular painting.

• By ThirstyBob
      Hey guys. I'm back after having my wisdom teeth removed :/ nasty surgery had to have some recovery. But I started painting again and I was wondering; am I getting speckling here? It used to be really bad but I diluted down a touch and I think it's better. Could use some help.

• By Painting Dog
      I graduated to the next level of painting obsession and picked up a Badger Patriot 105 airbrush at ReaperCon.  Yay me!

I've already primed a handful of minis, just as part of getting a feel for the brush.  But it occurred to me -- can you use an airbrush to spray on sealers?  I usually give minis (especially ones for tabletop) a coat or two of gloss varnish, then hit them with Tester's Dullcote to take out the shine.  I was wondering if I could substitute sprayed on Reaper Brush-on Sealer for the Dullcote step.  If so, would I thin it?  Or just use it as is?

Enquiring minds want to know!
  • Who's Online   21 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)