kodiakbear

Dwarven Forge KS6 Return to the Caverns

If anybody here loves cavern terrain and missed DF's first cavern KS KS2, this spring/summer around June DF will have KS6. The theme of KS6 will be Return to the Caverns and should be great fun for those who took part in KS2 or those who are new to DF.

DF had this to say and showed the below teaser pics

We're doing for Caverns what Dungeon of Doom did for Dungeons. A whole new batch of fun pieces to enhance your existing collection, but also completely stand-alone.

Some of the key features:
New Core Shapes (diagonal wall, convex curves, 1" pieces, etc)
Passages
Elevation (with stuff that's impossible on graph paper...)
Negative Space pieces (and new Terrain Trays)
Flashy Pieces (Magnets & LEDs)
Large pieces (4x4 and larger)

Edited by kodiakbear
  • Like 6

Really excited to see what will be in this KS. I'll have more funds for this one than DoD.

For DF owners, what set would you say you use the most? Dungeon, cavern, city, etc ?

Edited by Mushu_Green

I am super excited about this one, but also currently have pretty much no hobby funds. Not sure how this will pan out for me.

5 hours ago, Mushu_Green said:

Really excited to see what will be in this KS. I'll have more funds for this one than DoD.

For DF owners, what set would you say you use the most? Dungeon, cavern, city, etc ?

It really depends. I own stuff from all the Dwavenite sets and use quite a variety. Caverns is probably the least often due to how much city and town interactions we have in my games. Caverns are a ton of fun, though. I am especially a fan of the elevation and water stuff that is currently available.

22 minutes ago, Talae said:

I am super excited about this one, but also currently have pretty much no hobby funds. Not sure how this will pan out for me.

It really depends. I own stuff from all the Dwavenite sets and use quite a variety. Caverns is probably the least often due to how much city and town interactions we have in my games. Caverns are a ton of fun, though. I am especially a fan of the elevation and water stuff that is currently available.

I'll have to wait for "Return to the city" KS next year for these :P 1 year at a time but maybe some day I'll have all i need !  (which is never enough... maybe...)

Well I'm eager to see what they make.  I'm surprised its happening so quickly....KS5 didn't ship did it?

Hoping they will sneak a City builder advanced builder piece for Tudor  (the half walls and half floors) i know its a long shot though.

I use the caverns the most, by far. Second is the dungeon.  Third is the city and last is the castle, though my 12 yo son and I have built some really awesome castles!  (just havent played them in games yet).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mushu_Green said:

Why is it so far away :(

I debated whether to start the topic yet. 

In the end I figured the more time cavern terrain gamers have to save up gaming funds the better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kodiakbear said:

I debated whether to start the topic yet. 

In the end I figured the more time cavern terrain gamers have to save up gaming funds the better.

I already say the post on DF forums and I too wanted to start a post here to spread the news. But I didn't XD

Edited by Mushu_Green

DF tiles aren't cheap. IiRC, The average backer for the last one pledged $1K. That's double the high end pledge of a CMON KS. Also, wasn't the last DF KS a year ago? I remember the DF KS being spaced two years apart, and now it's one. I like how KS creators are giving more time for potential backers to prepare to pledge. I remember when we didn't have much notice and were somehow expected to empty $150+ out of our pockets.

9 hours ago, ced1106 said:

DF tiles aren't cheap. IiRC, The average backer for the last one pledged $1K. That's double the high end pledge of a CMON KS. Also, wasn't the last DF KS a year ago? I remember the DF KS being spaced two years apart, and now it's one. I like how KS creators are giving more time for potential backers to prepare to pledge. I remember when we didn't have much notice and were somehow expected to empty $150+ out of our pockets.

You are correct DF tiles aren't cheap, but they are Awesome.

DF has had a KS every year,  the first was funded and fulfilled in 2013 and the second did both in 2014.  After that they started having more complicated KS that funded in one year and fulfilled the next year.

KS5 was run last year but is due to fulfill this spring.  Then KS6 will return us to my favorite gaming environment Caverns.

Edited by kodiakbear
  • Like 2

I am really looking forward to seeing what comes out this year. I went in medium on KSV, and hope to spend lesson caverns. But it will be hard, I suspect. 

Unfortunately going medium on DF means spending 2 and a half times what I pledges for Bones IV. 

Edited by dice4hire
  • Like 2

Yeah, but you can use your DF terrain more often than your typical mini from Reaper, unless it's a PC.  DF typically only has 3 environments:  Stone walls (with themes), Cavern, and City.  Get some of each and you can make almost any setting with the exception of outdoors.  Caverns can be painted to be limestone, underdark, underwater, etc.  Stone walls can be fieldstone, sandstone, brick, etc.  With minis it's harder to creatively use them to represent a creature they weren't intended to be. 

What I'm getting at is you may pay more, but that's due to larger, heavier pieces and more opportunities to use them.

Edited by animesensei
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:54 AM, dice4hire said:

I went in medium on KSV, and hope to spend lesson caverns. But it will be hard, I suspect. 

I had to be very calculating with my choices for KS5 to get the pieces that would enhance my big dungeon builds best with out killing my finances.

I expect to be in huge trouble with KS6 because I love big elaborate cavern builds even more than big dungeons.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, animesensei said:

What I'm getting at is you may pay more, but that's due to larger, heavier pieces and more opportunities to use them.

True, I have minis that may only get uses once or twice in game but a terrain piece will get used hundreds of times in game, having said that I am not about to stop collecting awesome minis either.  

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   2 members

• Similar Content

• By MojoBob
      I made these primitive runestones in Blender and printed them on my little 3d printer. I thought the first one was a bit boring, so I added a bunch of skulls around the base of the second for that cannibal-headhunter vibe.

They're on Thingiverse at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3010064

The miniature is from Reaper, the figure I use to represent my oldest (surviving) D&D character from back in 1981, Smirnoff the Huge and Ugly. There was one earlier character from my very first roleplaying session, but I don't even remember his name — he was blown to smithereens in that same session by being too close to an overly-curious halfling thief.
    • By Deraj
      Hello All,
      My miniatures company, Deraj Studios, is launching a kickstarter campaign to produce a new line of true-scale 32mm miniatures from a fantastical version of the Sub-Sahara on Tuesday, July 31st. The eventual purpose of these miniatures is for use in my in-development skirmish game, Portals: Worlds Collide. 
      In the meantime, they're an excellent choice of miniatures for your favorite flavor of pen & paper roleplaying game, as well as in games of Frostgrave, Kings of War, Open Combat and a variety of other 'minis-agnostic' games in the 28mm-32mm scales.
      Here are some of the miniatures that are going to be featured in the campaign:

Mudlings - 18 and 19mm to the top of their heads.

Brute Boulder Tosser - 28mm to the top of his head

Brute Beater - 34mm to the top of his head

Slorn Packbeast & Tryl Merchant - 65mm to the top of Merchant's head, 55mm to the top of Slorn Packbeast's head.

Grum Snatcher - This miniature will be 85mm to the top of his head. 

Grum Shaman - This miniature will be 85mm to the top of his head.

Grum Berserker - this miniature will be 85mm to the top of his head.

Grum Seer - This miniature will be 35mm to the top of his head.

Grum Berserker & Shaman Set, WIP Sculpt.

We are a growing tabletop games company producing a line of true 32mm fantasy figures inspired by various folklore around the world. Our previous campaign and the resulting miniatures from it were based on Slavic fantasy, I'm excited to explore my ideas for fantastical versions of different cultures with you all.

I'll be updating this post as the launch date draws nearer with more of the miniatures and concept art featured in the campaign, as well as a few spotlights on the artists of Deraj Studios.

Thank you all, c&c appreciated.

- Jared Anderson of Deraj Studios

I'I
    • By Carnacki the Ghost Finder
      Live Link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/cthulhu-death-may-die

Two week campaign

Information is growing on Cmon page and BGG.  This rings all the right bells and is likely to mug me quite severely.

From the Facebook announcement:

"The ritual has started, and there’s no stopping it now. The only hope for the Investigators…and the rest of the world for that matter, is to disrupt it just enough so that when the Elder One arrives, it will be vulnerable for a split second. Just long enough to kill it!
      They’ll get their chance when Cthulhu: Death May Die comes to Kickstarter on July 10 at 3 PM EST. The new game from CMON and Guillotine Games combines the creative talents of Eric M. Lang and Rob Daviau. Stay tuned as we reveal more about the Investigators risking their lives and the unspeakable horrors they will face off against."

Or as Mr. Lang says in interviews, the game where you "shoot Cthulhu in the face." 
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/548467345/drakenstone-magnetic-modular-castle-terrain?ref=discovery#

About
      My name is Andy, and I've been building miniature fantasy terrain since the 1980s. I have used my hand-made magnetic modular terrain for Dungeon Escape and Legendary Arena Battles at Eye of the Beholder Gaming Guild in Taylor, MI. My prototype pieces are on display at Acropolis Games in Adrian, and Get Your Game On in Ann Arbor. Many players have asked how they can take home magnetic terrain pieces to continue their adventure at home.
      I use Hirst Arts blocks (I am a fully licensed Hirst Arts dealer). The process is fun... but painfully slow, as each block must be cast individually, then glued together. To save time and effort, I've began making molds of ENTIRE ROOMS, so that they can be cast AS ONE SINGLE SOLID PIECE with no glueing. Instead of using delicate, breakable plaster, I have been casting using 57D Resin, with enormous success. Instead of building a room in several days, I pour the resin in the mold, and its finished in two minutes. I can cast the entire 29 piece dungeon in one hour. What took me weeks before, now takes only an afternoon.
      The 57D Resin is urethane rubber. It is slightly flexible, making it shatter-proof. The rooms can be dropped, and they will remain literally undamaged. No more chipping, cracking, or breaking! Say goodbye to handling delicate pieces. Since they come right out of the mold looking like granite, there is no paint to chip away or rub off. However, the material is paintable, should you choose to add your own dry-brush. Colors available are: Black Onyx, Black Granite, OrcSkin Gray, Gray Granite, White, White Granite, Frost, and Glow in the Dark.
      There is no glue involved in any of the pieces.
      The magnets are EMBEDDED directly inside the walls during the molding process, and cannot come loose, break off, or become lost. That makes our terrain suitable for kids of any age. Every terrain piece "snaps" together. 
      Players who already own Dwarven Forge sets will enjoy the fact that DrakenStone terrain meets up perfectly with their existing sets, making it the perfect compliment. The playing surface is exactly the same height, and the squares are exactly the same size as Dwarven Forge. 
      Please join us for a D&D 5E PVP one-shot game "Dungeon Escape", played Monday nights at 7pm, at Eye of the Beholder Gaming Guild, 12345 Telegraph Road, Taylor, MI. See the terrain being used in a real game. Or, watch us live on Facebook.
      Risks and challenges
      I have already created all the molds. I have already purchased the magnets in bulk. The last step is purchasing the 57D Resin. In pint-sized and gallon-sized units, the cost is very expansive... making the sale of sets to the public prohibitively expansive. However, in a 5-gallon, or even a 55-gallon drum, the cost of the resin is considerably less. Obtaining this bulk quantity of materials will keep the finished castle pieces at a low cost to customers. A 55-gallon drum of the 57D Resin costs $1,000.
      Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
    • By GamestartEdizioni
      https://www.facebook.com/GamestartEdizioni/
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2031918013/810800705?ref=493163&token=c06e631e

On July 5, the new project by Gamestart Editions "Fantasy World Creator" will be launched on the Kickstarter platform, designed by role players for role players.

FWC arises from the need to unify in a single product different tools useful for roleplayer and those who create adventures. On the market, there are anonymous rewritable sheets for maps, a few miniatures from high cost and different rigid supports of the most varied materials: many things but unstructured and that would require high costs to have in hand something sufficient to a game setting, all that it is impractical especially for those who approach roleplaying but want to immediately enjoy the immersive.

"Fantasy World Creator" overcomes all these gaps by bringing together in a single box multi-settings modular planks with standard movement grid (2.5 cm), vertical tokens that reproduce dozens of different monsters and all the available classes of the major GDRs combined with horizontal tokens for quick settings of the environments; all accompanied by a "state" token to indicate effects of spells and abilities and from character planks to keep track of momentary increases during combat. A fundamental feature of FWC is that all the parts of the support are totally rewritable with dry ink markers, so as to ensure infinite reuse and versatility and to maximize this point have been inserted "blank" vertical tokens, totally customizable, to add anyone in adventures. Particular mention should also be made of the materials chosen for high strength and laminated with specific plastics on both sides for additional strength and reliability during game sessions.
      Versatility and completeness are the cornerstones of this add-on, combined with a "hand-drawn" graphic that will leave intact the philosophy of "paper, pen and imagination" that has made the role-playing game famous all over the world.

Analyzing in more detail FWC from the Kickstarter page we find 3 different proposals

The "Base Beginner Hero" package: with contents closer to those who start playing from lower level characters and containing specific planks for "Dungeon", "Wildlands" and "Castle" settings, combined with more common and recurrent environmental tokens (both for exteriors and interiors, such as trees, tables, stairs, etc.). The character compartment has the 6 most used classes and middle-class monsters; the extra features include the "state" tokens and quick flicks. Despite being an "Entry level" product, it is still complete and will be offered at a price comparable to that of a basic D&D manual.

The "Advanced Master Hero" package contains the most interesting components: in addition to the "Base" package, there are planks in the additional "Subterran" and "Urban interiors" settings, combined with larger environmental tokens (up to 20 cm) including roofs; this last implementation, although it may seem trivial at first sight, is instead very useful not to reveal the interiors of buildings (read planks "urban interior") without the players decide to enter and allowing, thanks to the grid here, to fight and move as if you were on a higher level, which is very useful in stealth missions. In this package will be present the monsters of greater size and the characters of other 6 more specific classes; central is also the presence of a Dragon, with a token of size "Gargantuan".

As a third package there will be a very limited "Artist" version consisting of 3 highly discounted "Advance" boxes, plus the possibility of inserting a character (or a monster) with your face and an official t-shirt with original logos and illustrations.

The original illustrations are in fact what, thanks to FWC, will make you seem to live your adventure in an illustrated book. All the characters and the monsters are the work of two Italian artists, Elisa Serio and Manuele Brandani. Their technique is a direct pen on paper, all freehand; a unique style for a unique definition. The environmental tokens are instead illustrated, always by hand, by Andrea Alemanno, another emerging artist in Italy.

"Fantasy World Creator" has already been called "The Dungeon Master's Egg of Columbus" according to its supporters.

Crowdfunding will be essential for the production of this project and will allow all those who want to immediately experience the role-playing experience at 360 °, to pre-purchase the first print run at a definitely lower price and to take advantage of some promotions limited to the launch of the Kickstarter.

Appointment then to July 5 for the launch!

Stay tuned!

• Who's Online   20 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)