Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Geoff Davis
77191: Hydra Bones Sandra Garrity
I did this one as a speed paint for a D&D game at the last minute, and then he didn't have a base for the next two years. Well, now he's done and has a base and is just waiting for his next chance to eat adventurers.
33 Projects left on the shelf of shame! And I have the day off work tomorrow so more to follow!
By Geoff Davis
03660: Amrielle, Female Ranger Julie Guthrie
This one has been on the shelf of shame for a couple of years. I had some severe problems with textures which is why she ended up on my shelf of shame. First mistake was I didn't sand smooth the various flat surfaces before priming. Then I primed using spray on aerosol primer when the weather wasn't right, creating a very rough, beaded surface texture (check out the top of her bow). Then when I was painting her, I was using glazing medium to try to improve my blending. I didn't wait long enough between coats of paint. Consequently, the partially dry layers got peeled up and made into a mess (look closely at her cheeks). She is finished now, good enough for use as a minion in a tabletop game where no one will look at her too closely. I have included close-ups of the textures so you can see my mistakes. I also put in one close-up of an area I painted today. The difference it makes when you take your time and let the previous layer properly dry shows clearly.
34 projects left on my shelf of shame!
As I'm actually getting to play 5e, and it looks like I'll get to keep playing for a while, I figured I should go ahead and pick a mini to represent my dwarven wizard.
Now, he isn't your typical wizard, even for a dwarf, as he goes around in a chain shirt and swings his warhammer. So the Dwarf Wizard minis, as fun as they are, are out. Going through my Bones collection, I came across this guy: Ivar, Dwarf Cleric
Not a perfect fit, especially the backpack, but not bad. Also going against him was the fact that his hammer was miscast on my copy.
So... to work!
I started by removing the backpack, and giving him a good scrub to make sure any mold remover was washed off.
Then I had to find a new hammer. The Bones Weapon Sprues had one that worked. Just about the right size...
Clipped off the old hammer, drilled out the hand...
And while I was at it, I cut off all the decorative stuff off the backpack, and trimmed the base. Then using my Happy Seppuku courtyard stamp, I gave him a fancier base to stand on. It's hard to see, but the pin is already in his hand, and you can sort of see the hole drilled in the shaft of the hammer.
And here it is all glued together!
Hmm... the anvil in the middle of the backpack... just doesn't do it for me. So I ripped the backpack off, and went back to my bits box.
In the end I cut the bedroll and lower bag completely away, and used some greenstuff and superglue to put it all back. The barrel is from one of the Games Workshop Brettonian Infantry kits... I think the bottle might be as well, but I'm not 100% on that. I'm still debating adding a length of rope to the backpack... but otherwise, the modding is done, and it's time to get painting!
Who's Online 14 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)