Jump to content

buglips*the*goblin

Pcktlnt's Rescue (Ral Partha 02-902 Female Giant V.1)

Recommended Posts

She looks great!  A wonderful story as well.  I hope you are able to find out some more about her. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice paint, nice figure.

 

Great story, having perused the the melt table every year they've had it at ReaperCon, I've gotten to talk to people far & wide, whether it just with people I don't know, or chatting with someone till 1-2 am in the morning (HGI hotel/con years). My favorite story from the table was Bob Ridolfi & I were just circling the table with everyone else, picking out mini to look at & we got to talking about em & such. During that talk he said "I hope this doesn't mean my work is not well liked." Most of the figures he found were his. :lol: 

 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woohoo. You painted her. Glad to be of service. That's a much better paint job than what she started with. Lol.

 

@haldir this year were a lot of Sandra garrity.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Guildenstern said:

1. awesome job!!

2. PLEASE tell me this barbaric 'melt table' has stopped?!?!!

 

Oh no, the melt table is awesome.  People bring figures they don't want anymore to exhange for credit.  You can pick through it for neat stuff and buy from it.  So it's kinda like a swap meet, and whatever is left at end of con goes to become new figures.

 

It's just that not everyone knows what to look for, so sometimes rare things slip through.  

 

I bought a whole whack of orcs off the table.  I don't even know how many.  A lot!

 

I hope the melt table never goes away!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I hope the melt table never goes away!

It probably won't. Sadly though, out of the last four years, it was the saddest amount of melt I had ever seen. The three years prior, you couldn't see the bottom of the bin after the first day, and didn't see it again (except when people made mini mountains) until the last day. There would be years I would never see pktlnt anywhere other than the table........I saw him paint this year!!!! *Tisk*

  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently it was heavily raided in 2017, to the point stuff was bought up almost as soon as it hit the table.  But it was apparently getting as much incoming traffic as usual, just a lot more outgoing.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, haldir said:

Most of the figures he found were his. :lol: 

 

 

 Well, when you've sculpted about half the minis ever produced...

 

 If I ever hit the lottery, instead of flying down to RCon I'm just going to move down to Texas because it will be cheaper than shipping back all the metal I grab off the melt table...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Guildenstern said:

1. awesome job!!

2. PLEASE tell me this barbaric 'melt table' has stopped?!?!!

*GASP* The horror!

T.T

^.^

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

 

 Well, when you've sculpted about half the minis ever produced...

 

 If I ever hit the lottery, instead of flying down to RCon I'm just going to move down to Texas because it will be cheaper than shipping back all the metal I grab off the melt table...

 

Well remember if you go to the factory, they'll ship your stuff home for yah. Free too! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you had asked me a year or two ago who my favourite sculptors were, I'd have said Sandra Garrity and Dennis Mize, because I figured they made up the bulk of my collection.  They were the first sculptor names I knew, on account of the first ten figures I bought being their sculpts from Ral Partha. 

 

So last year at ReaperCon I had the chance to talk with Bob Ridolfi for a good while, and... I mean, I knew who he was.  I was sure I had some of his stuff.  Positive!  But I couldn't remember any of his specific sculpts, just a total mindblank (to be fair, I spent most of ReaperCon as a sleep-deprived zombie).  That whole time I was sitting there I was terrified he was going to ask me if I had a favourite figure of his, and I wouldn't know what to say. 

 

So when I came home, I went through my collection to see what I had from him - and made a surprising discovery.  Bob Ridolfi, overwhelmingly, makes up the bulk of my figures.  Not just Reaper, but the works.  All this time I thought Garrity and Mize were my favourites, but by sheer number it's clear I love Bob Ridolfi sculpts.  So if I have a favourite of favourites, he's running away with it because his work is a magnet for my money. 

 

Also, myself and @Guindyloo were making a list for our upcoming joint WIP threads and picking out figures, and at one point when we were listing neat figures to do I said "You know, there's a lot of Bob Ridolfi in this list.  Like nearly all of it.  We might want to spread it around a little."  Which wasn't hard to do, since Reaper has employed many talented sculptors and we do love a lot of everyone's figures, but it was weird that between the two of us rattling off SKUs at each other to check out it was Bob Ridolfi, Bob Ridolfi, Bob Ridolfi all the way down.

 

So if, by chance, he sees this thread... we like your work very, very much!   

 

I do actually know why we hit so many Bob Ridolfi sculpts in our list, though - it's because they're at that sweet spot where they're good quality but also have that little bit of extra fun to them.  That's why we both liked Thanis the Bonecaller so much - she's a gorgeous figure and has just that perfect amount of classic cheese.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work on her!

 

I'm going to have to find mine, strip her, and paint her up.

(I know i started her, but never finished her, so it's probably best to start fresh.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Hell, Buglips, why didn't you TELL me you were lookin' for old Partha? I'd have kept an eye peeled. Years ago, I was doin' the EXACT SAME THING, lookin' for old Grenadier! Y'got to let folks KNOW! Two years ago I saw a grown man weep when someone scooped a double handful of metal out of the table and gave it to him; it was nearly all ancient GW metal beak faced Spess Muhreens, not made in years and never will be again. This is why we DO this!

2. The melt table was kind of sad this year. In years past, I have seen it piled high, and Jess and Ghent still tell tales of that one guy who showed up with multiple suitcases and more than a hundred pounds of ancient pewter...

 

3. Every year when I fly down for Reapercon, I make a point of showing the TSA guys the baggie of metal, and how it is very plainly not attached to any explosives, and I have a bad moment of "Is this the year when some TSA guy yanks me out of line for further screening?" It hasn't happened yet, although in 2014, the TSA guy held up my clear plastic metal bag, eyed it critically, and said, "Warhammer player?"

4. The One Foot Joker story is true. This is the first year, however, that I have not seen any of Jason Wiebe's NotKongs in the melt table. Years ago, Reaper made this big gorilla, Kong sized in relation to a 25mm figure... but then, there was not Bonesium. The durn thing must have weighed over a pound, all by itself. In years past, I have seen several NotKongs wandering the metal wastes, exchanged for metal credit...

5. The year of the pirate theme, Bob and Julie had brought these handcrafted shark jaws with them... and then couldn't get 'em assembled. Glue was required. Was there a Hobby Lobby nearby? In fact, there was, and I had a car that year; I still lived in Texas at the time, and figured Bob Ridolfi would not mug me, steal my car, and leave me for dead, so we drove there for glue and supplies. Spent an hour together, hearing about all the work he'd done for other companies, and how he'd begun doing miniatures, and how he'd met Julie Guthrie, and the man has some fascinating stories. Can't think of a bad thing to say about him or Julie.

6. Oh, and speaking of bad things to say? LOVELY restoration work! Those soft lead pieces can be a bear... especially if they've taken a beating.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

1. Hell, Buglips, why didn't you TELL me you were lookin' for old Partha? I'd have kept an eye peeled. Years ago, I was doin' the EXACT SAME THING, lookin' for old Grenadier! Y'got to let folks KNOW! Two years ago I saw a grown man weep when someone scooped a double handful of metal out of the table and gave it to him; it was nearly all ancient GW metal beak faced Spess Muhreens, not made in years and never will be again. This is why we DO this!

2. The melt table was kind of sad this year. In years past, I have seen it piled high, and Jess and Ghent still tell tales of that one guy who showed up with multiple suitcases and more than a hundred pounds of ancient pewter...

 

3. Every year when I fly down for Reapercon, I make a point of showing the TSA guys the baggie of metal, and how it is very plainly not attached to any explosives, and I have a bad moment of "Is this the year when some TSA guy yanks me out of line for further screening?" It hasn't happened yet, although in 2014, the TSA guy held up my clear plastic metal bag, eyed it critically, and said, "Warhammer player?"

4. The One Foot Joker story is true. This is the first year, however, that I have not seen any of Jason Wiebe's NotKongs in the melt table. Years ago, Reaper made this big gorilla, Kong sized in relation to a 25mm figure... but then, there was not Bonesium. The durn thing must have weighed over a pound, all by itself. In years past, I have seen several NotKongs wandering the metal wastes, exchanged for metal credit...

5. The year of the pirate theme, Bob and Julie had brought these handcrafted shark jaws with them... and then couldn't get 'em assembled. Glue was required. Was there a Hobby Lobby nearby? In fact, there was, and I had a car that year; I still lived in Texas at the time, and figured Bob Ridolfi would not mug me, steal my car, and leave me for dead, so we drove there for glue and supplies. Spent an hour together, hearing about all the work he'd done for other companies, and how he'd begun doing miniatures, and how he'd met Julie Guthrie, and the man has some fascinating stories. Can't think of a bad thing to say about him or Julie.

6. Oh, and speaking of bad things to say? LOVELY restoration work! Those soft lead pieces can be a bear... especially if they've taken a beating.

 

1.  I didn't see you until Thursday or Friday (don't remember, all a blur) and by that time the table was being well-raided by rescuers.  I saved a TSR Bonesnapper! 

 

2.  I'm told the melt table appeared very anemic this year, but I was also told it was because the turnover rate was unusually high so it never had a chance to build up.  I think it's because I wanted to raid it for everything I could make away with and so, through some weird zeitgeist, everyone else decided to do the same thing.  Also, Ghent is a gem - she was an instrumental part of my Quest For Ebonwrath Wings, being the wise sage who kept a record of the old part numbers that had been eliminated from the new system.  That whole EbonQuest should have been pretty simple, but it turned into a hero's journey replete with setback, forgotten lore, wise sages, stalwart companions, a MacGuffin, and even a visit to see the king.  Now I am the Keeper of the Relics, and will put them to good use, for the glory of shelf and table. 

 

3.  When I passed  customs in Canada and was asked if I had anything to declare, I said: "Four packs of Marlboro and a blister of naked demon ladies."  I got a weird look, and then waved through. 

 

4.  Hopefully the Joker comes back from his tour next year.  I can't believe I almost picked him out of the table, then we'd know where he wound up for a year.  That's why when you told me the story of how he keeps going on vacation year after year and coming back to ReaperCon my eyes bugged out and I said:  "I SAW HIM!"  If I spot him again, he's taking a trip with me. 

 

5.  Bob and Julie are the best of the best.  They showed me how greenstuff should behave and it was completely unlike anything I'd used.  They were kind enough to give me some from their own stash to play with.  I have since found a good source in Canada (Bob Murch, former sculptor of RAFM, sells it on his boutique page and it's nice and fresh).  I do kind of feel bad, though, because I look at what I made out of what they gave me and think: "that could have been nice things". 

 

6.  Thanks!  Cleaning the yellow paint off the fur was a nightmare.  I'm not sure what it was, because usually even Testors enamel comes off with Simple Green and a good scrub, but that stuff just wouldn't.  I finally decided to try the Easy Off oven cleaner trick, and it worked.  Worked a treat, actually, so I'll use it again in the future.  It not only cleaned this giant lady, it finally got the stubborn paint off my RAFM Goblins in plate mail.  I didn't think they'd ever come clean!

 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By 72moonglum
      Hi all,
      a figure I just finished yesterday (or so I thought).  This is the Ral Partha Town Constable, and I was kind of intrigued by him, as he isn't a very heroic or noble looking figure, he looks  a little bit lost, so I contacted Iron Wind and asked them if he was supposed to represent somebody and lo and behold, he is actually based on Tim Conway, and the figure at the time that was sold in his blister, a cowardly paladin, was based off of Don Knots. Who would have known?
      So I took these pictures yesterday quickly at lunch and posted them out where I usually do on Instagram, and as I looked at them, I noticed I had forgotten to paint something. So today's quiz is what did I forget to paint? To make it easier you can see it on the picture from behind.  Hopefully I don't get now 147 other things that I forgot to paint, but we'll see.

       
      Anyhoos, enjoy and happy Independence day to all you gringos!
    • By Iridil
      Here is a Wyvern from Ral Partha - I love the sculpt -particularly the expression
       


    • By 72moonglum
      So here's another homage figure I just finished.  Ral Partha back in the day did a few figures based on popular figures of the time. The dwarf samurai I did recently was one, and here is another one, Elvis, King of the Bards.
       

      So hard to choose colors on him, so ended up kind of with a red, white and blue motif, kind of close to Fourth of July.  He has some really small circular eyes, but they turned out surprisingly well. When I was editing the photos and got a good look at them, they were actually pretty decently laced.  
      Anyhow, another great old Partha figure to enjoy!
       
       
    • By 72moonglum
      Hi guys,
      so here's a figure I just finished, an old Ral Partha Saturday Night Fever Samurai, who I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's based on John Belushi.  Pretty straight forward figure to paint, and I wanted to give him more of a five o'clock shadow (thanks Patrick for the advice) but I just gave it to him where it was actually kind of sculpted in.  I looked at a few reference pictures of John Belushi in his Samurai suit, but eventually went a slightly different route to give a bit more color to him. I tried to get a little bit of heat from his cigar too, don't know if you can notice a bit of red and yellow by the ash?
       

       
      Anyhows, I hope you guys all enjoy this little blast from the past!
    • By 72moonglum
      Good evening folks,
       
      So here is one I just finished up, a really old school Partha Piece, don't recall her original name, but she's some kind of sorceress or Dragon Lady. Sculpted by Tom Meier, this one didn't have a year on the bottom, but I think this was probably sculpted originally 1977-1979 or so.  I did the base as just one flat blue color, that as I look at it, I'm regretting. I might go back and do a little something with it. I didn't want to do a natural, grass and dirt base, because I didn't want to hide any of the dragon, who is not too large.
       

  • Who's Online   39 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

×